Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: make it run faster  (Read 7292 times)

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: make it run faster
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 05:24:05 am »

My other machine would die if I tried to play DF on it, it's a number of years old and has a cpu that runs at some 2.1 mhz

2mhz? Did you put DF on a Tandy or something?
Current Fort: NatureRags

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2010, 07:05:24 am »

While I appreciate the suggestion, installing a completely new OS, unrelated to anything I've ever used, and that I have no experience with, to possibly get DF to run better, isn't exactly the advice I was hoping for.

I was hoping for something like, "uninstall this" or, "turn off that" or "change this setting". Maybe "download this program".

Wubi really is super-simple to use, and I doubt that you're going to find any easy answers in Vista.  You could try right-clicking the desktop, going to Personalize, and turning off Aero for something less intensive, but that's mostly going to save you GPU time that DF isn't using.

You could also check the "Processes" tab in Task Manager and sort by CPU to see what's using up CPU time.  It could be that something like your antivirus program is going off all the time, and you could kill that (and disconnect from the internet if you do) while DFing.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:11 am »

Um..........thanks? I guess?

Obviously, you missed the message so I'll make it blunt:   If you know how (or know someone who knows how), and can keep your computer cold, you can overclock it (make it run faster than intended, sort of) to get better performance.  Just be warned, if you do it wrong bad things will happen.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 07:29:54 am »

Because your anecdote of an exploding cooling system really sounded like a recommendation.  ::)

Regardless, I don't really know anyone that I'd trust with something like that, nor do I have the money to pay a professional.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:09 am »

IF you're not opposed to a little modding, setting dwarves to [SPEED:0] will make up for the difference. (And in my case at least, my average FPS went from 20-30 to 25-35  ???)
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2010, 08:37:35 am »

Pathfinding is easy when you can walk through walls.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:19 am »

Really, really easy.

Because your anecdote of an exploding cooling system really sounded like a recommendation.  ::)

Regardless, I don't really know anyone that I'd trust with something like that, nor do I have the money to pay a professional.

The part about it exploding was...  it wouldn't have exploded if I had built it properly.  Of course, it was the best worst thing that could have gone wrong.  Other than that, it was quite effective.

Also, yes, exploding cooling system.  Probably because I built it for $50 (USD) out of old pipes and machine pieces.

Of course, I'm almost finished with a new one that is NOT made of explodium.

EDIT:  On one hand, it's very nice to be able to mess with a computer like that, but in case I haven't made it painfully obvious, it can go very very wrong.  Actually, it exploding was completely independent of the computer, but was my poor choice of materials for the cooling system.  What is more likely to happen is something goes wrong and you turn the insides of your computer to smoking, molten goo.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:12:10 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 09:52:31 am »

With 57 Dorves, a aquifer and a several-level fortress my laptop (AMD Turion x64 Dual-Core, 4gb RAM) gets 44fps - I'm pretty sure my desktop would fare much better (Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM -- Not quite a i7 w/ 8GB RAM, but it'll work), but i can't get up to it right now because i'm recovering from surgery.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2010, 11:43:21 am »

I remember seeing a command "Setup traffic areas" in DF. Would that help the FPS?

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:22 am »

Really, really easy.

Really? Either I'm doing it wrong or the results vary, because my dwarves just move at hyperspeed, they don't phase through walls.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51:30 am »

Dwarves at speed:0 do not walk through walls, they still have to path and walk to/from places etc.  What I assume you are referring to is the warping or teleporting effect that you can get, especially if you have your fps_cap at 0 and your g_fps at a lower number.  This is due to the fact that the game is simply not given enough chances to render every step of the dwarves because they are moving so fast.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2010, 01:10:34 pm »

Could it be that broken arrows and blood, not getting seasonally cleaned up is what is making such a big FPS difference in 40d and 2010 DF's performance?

Could the seasonal brokenarrow/blood cleanup be fixed, please?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »

By the way, is it normal that only Print Mode 2d works? If i try something else, even standard, it simply crashes. Any ideas?

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:00 pm »

Speed 0 makes them move crazy fast? Wouldn't that make the game slower, because it would have less time to calculate a path?

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »

Nope, one game "frame" is completed when all calculation for it (pathfinding, temperature, etc) are done. Speed:0 does reduce your FPS, but your dwarves still appear to move faster because during each frame they move a lot further.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8