Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: make it run faster  (Read 7302 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: make it run faster
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »

I know in the init options (31.16,) you can set the priority DF will take, (I set mine to HIGH, the second highest) I noticed a few FPS gain)  has anyone else noticed this/done any testing?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

Yeah, Idk if setting the priority has much effect, but I set it to "High" anyway. (Realtime doesn't seem to work properly.)

I'm looking for a way to set affinity like that. I don't see anything in 'properties', either in Process Explorer or Task Manager.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »

Modifying priority never does anything useful in any app I've ever used.  100% utilization is 100% utilization whatever the priority is.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 03:04:14 am »

I tried that, that's what bumped me up to 30. I did get a collapsed cavern message at the beginning of embarking, so idk if that has anything to do with it.

Depends on what that cavern collapse did, I think any large water flow (such as water flowing into the magma sea), even in undiscovered caverns, can cause such a lag. (unconfirmed though, please correct if wrong)

Anyways, are you playing in a modded game? or using any specific tilesets?

If you're moving files, watching a movie, downloading something, this can affect your DF game, as more processes take up RAM and processor time.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:11 am »

I'm just using the Lazy Newb pack, with the Phoebus' tileset.

The only other thing I have running is internet explorer. (And that is required, I'm constantly looking up things in the magmawiki.)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 06:46:22 am »

what z level did it zoom to with the cavern collapse?

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 07:48:57 am »

Couldn't tell ya. I turned off the zooming and pausing on cavern collapse on a previous embark. There, I got the message every second (literally), and the framerate was in the single digits. I gave up on that and started a new fort. Which is going well,but slowly.

Kronusdark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

if you are using windows vista/7 try disabling aero (right click icon, properties, compatibility tab, check disable desktop composition) this fixes ALOT of fps issues in games for me.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »

Agreed.  Aero is very resource expensive.  Disable it at work, disable it for games, disable it everywhere. 

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:22 pm »

Do I just turn it off on DF, or do I have to go r-clicking every icon I've got?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 07:00:07 pm »

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/

Aero is one of those classic REALLY SHITTY ideas that Microsoft comes up with and forces on the entire world.  I'm not typically a MS basher but wow, sometimes they do come up with some breathtakingly shitty mandatory features.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

As said before, efficient stairs are critical.  In fact, do not use stairs, use ramps.  And if you must use a stair, do NOT use an up+down stair.

Why are updown stairs so much worse than ramps or oneway stairs?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 08:13:20 pm »

As said before, efficient stairs are critical.  In fact, do not use stairs, use ramps.  And if you must use a stair, do NOT use an up+down stair.
Why are updown stairs so much worse than ramps or oneway stairs?

This puzzles me, too.  It seems like any ramp setup would impose some serious efficiency penalties on the dwarves, just because you have to stick walls everywhere for your ramps to work.

In any case, shouldn't this whole ramps vs stairs thing be easy to test?  You could build a fort with parallel systems of stairs and ramps.  Put hatches on all of them.  Wait for your FPS to drop.  Save, make two version of the game.  In game A lock all the hatches on the stairs.  In game B lock all the hatches on the ramps.  Or if you think that hatches might bring problems of their own, build a floor over them or dig them out.

However you want to do it, disable the stairs on one game and the ramps in the other, and then compare the FPS.

Personally, I think it's all about the numbers of objects and the numbers of people wandering around.  I diligently atom-smash and melt everything in sight, but it's hard to know if it helps.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:45 pm »

Nothing works. This sucks.  :-[

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 06:49:55 am »

The "collapse on embark" is a major pointer that something is wrong at the embark spot. We discovered earlier a guy who had the same and it was later uncovered that his entire magma sea was being drained down into HFS by a hole in the semi-molten rock. You could have something similar, and the calculations for the drain in the magma sea is likely killing you.

It sounds like you could have a funky world_gen if you keep getting collapses on embark. Try to gen a new world and embark. Play a couple of minutes. FPS any better in that fort?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8