Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.  (Read 14735 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 05:09:45 pm »

You can designate a bog for bog iron by going to the orders command. The bog is the brown area. This game suffers from a lack of a "look" command like in DF. Sometimes you need information on an empty tile.

One of my first games I sent my orcs after a unicorn. It didn't go well, I managed to enrage the unicorn which then proceded to rampage through my base and kill everyone.

Not sure exactly what boxes and crates do. I know you can enable different storage containers for a stock pile. I assume barrels are liquid storage and crates are for things like stone.

You use amphora or whatever for liquid storage, at least for wine, which is the only liquid.

Also, after I designate it nothing happens. Its like designating trees.....nothing happens except its highlighted.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 02:20:45 am »

When it comes to trees you can highlight them or get your goblins to cut them down right away. Trees that are highlighted will get cut down when the quantity in your stockpiles drop bellow the quantity specified in the orders/stocks screen (I forget what it's called). As for the bog I'm not sure as I didn't realise version 0.12 had been released and it's a new feature.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 11:51:37 am »

You also need to build a stockpile for bog iron and set a desired amount in the stock manager. The basic rule for all items in GC is you need a place to do the work, a place to put the work, and a demand in stock manager.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:17 am »

what i don't like about this game is how i get invaded by monster's more then i get immigrates of orcs and goblins, which is why I don't really like this game at all.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 09:17:11 am »

Goblin Camp isn’t meant to be some kind of eternity project where I just add and add and add features until it’s a bloated mess that hardly runs on anything but the newest computers

With this line gencon says what he thinks about Dwarf Fortress. And maybe he killed his own game, as after saying he won't add z-levels his forum is pretty much dead.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 09:30:30 am »

Do people really like z-levels that much?

Personally, and although I prefer pretty much every features in the current DF, I liked the single z-level of the old 2D version. I found the moving right progression much more fun and easier to hold in my head than 200 z-levels of depth.

I'm not likely to go back and play the 2D version of course as everything else about the current version is better, but I still feel it is a shame.

The other quote you gave seems more of a rant though so I'm not overly surprised people don't post on his forums so much.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:18 am »

I'd probably get a bit snappy regarding DF, if people kept bringing it up and how inferior my game was to it, too.
It was his attitude since the beggining. He should know he would be compared anyway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 02:15:08 pm »

Personally, and although I prefer pretty much every features in the current DF, I liked the single z-level of the old 2D version. I found the moving right progression much more fun and easier to hold in my head than 200 z-levels of depth.

I'm not likely to go back and play the 2D version of course as everything else about the current version is better, but I still feel it is a shame.

^ That.  It can be a very, very solid game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

You can go look at the long discussion of Z-Levels on the Goblin camp forum.  Probably shouldn't start that arguement here...

As for the forums dying, they have been quiet for a while. What do you we have to talk about right now? What freaks me out more is how BitBucket hasn't been updated. I think gen might have gotten bored.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »

Well, I modded my game to have a random 3-10 roaming pack of Dwarfs.

Takes about 1-2 Orc(s) to take down 1 Dwarf.
takes about half a Dwarf to take down 1 Orc.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »

I'd really like to mod the game to allow goblin and orc housing projects. They can steal items from stock piles and assemble ugly ass houses. Then when there is nothing left in the stock piles the orcs can steal from the goblins. At little more conflict between goblins and orcs would be fun.

As for too many monsters compaired to orcs, are you building a stone query right off the bat? That is a bad idea.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 05:55:35 pm »

I find GC boring, intimidating learning-curve-wise, and underdeveloped. Of course, it's also in version .12, so I feel like doing two things: cutting it some slack and watching the dev page.

Similarities to DF: this is a dude who tried DF (commendable), thought it was just generally not his cup of tea (understandable), and subsequently began development on his own game that he liked better (damn impressive). I couldn't care less what he thinks of DF.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »

Goblin Camp isn’t meant to be some kind of eternity project where I just add and add and add features until it’s a bloated mess that hardly runs on anything but the newest computers

With this line gencon says what he thinks about Dwarf Fortress. And maybe he killed his own game, as after saying he won't add z-levels his forum is pretty much dead.

More than that, it seems to me that the attitude of forum goers was what pretty much killed the forums. Some of my friends (mostly Indie game devs and former BfW programmers) had been thinking about an "OpenDF" engine for a while, so when GC came along they joined the community and offered to help with development.

All of them were driven off in short order by the gooniness, cult of personality, anger, and the fact that any suggestion, code change, or mention of DF was met with intense flaming.

I hope that a fork happens in the near future so that the GC codebase doesn't turn into another abandoned project; a "DF-like" engine as a base for new roguelikes would be a huge boon to developers.

EDIT: Clarified my language to make it clear that I blame the attitude of the forum community, not the software project itself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:19:32 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »

he didn't want to program zlevels but willing to add them into the game if someone does the work for him.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 05:45:32 am »

I really enjoy this game. It gets down to DF's basic start-up phase of just building up a base and killing stuff. Without the horrible lag.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6