Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.  (Read 14733 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53:15 pm »

Topics like "DF clones" have been done to death; they're a joke at this point to most sensible members. Most people who will complain are "DF fanboieeees" or noobs.

IMO, GC is boring as hell. I also don't see what the big whoop is about the whole interface than again! I never found the DF UI to be confusing. So go figure! I'm keeping an eye on it as I really only see it as a very DND type army game with city building on the side. Course, being open source, anything can go. So, plenty of fun can definitely be had by it.

I gotta say though, my only irk with GC is that some fans call it, "DF done right." Which just makes me sick.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »

I gotta say though, my only irk with GC is that some fans call it, "DF done right." Which just makes me sick.
I hate that the forum is filled with this.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:02:02 pm »

well i think this game is genius and i thank toadie for releasing his game to inspire GC. i don't see a reason why to complain, DF is one of a kind and there are almost null games that can even can be compared to it. give GC some slack, the guy wanted to simplify the learning process vs. DF and it works.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »

I have to agree, if any game that now comes out and has you building a town/camp/fort/other its immediately called a DF Ripoff.
Guess MW2 is a ripoff of BF2.
Or, for a more Rouge like example...
Nethack is a ripoff of Rouge.

I do agree that calling DF a bad game means you need to suffer, but every little game that gets slightly close to this game ( I used to use Sims as a reference back then), does not mean they ripped it off from that original game, and even if they did, they are most likely never going to beat this game.

This game looks largely promising to me, just as the owner of Incursion is re-writing the game scripts looks promising, give it a chance.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »

To deny that it draws directly from DF would be quite stupid. This doesn't mean that it isn't a fine game in its own right... but the inspiration is quite obvious.

Anyway, I tried it out. I like the mouse interface, though there were some problems with the pop-up menu getting in the way of the game itself. The simplicity of the controls makes it easy to pick up (I learned how to do everything in about 15 minutes). I find the rate at which horrible monsters spawn out of your Clay Pits and Quarries to be highly annoying, though; I had a decent little village, with a Lumber Mill, Barracks, Farmhouse, and Clayworks, by the time I was overrun by Raw and Fired Clay Golems which slaughtered my Orc guards, and then cornered my defenseless Goblins in the Barracks and pummeled them to death.

I find the lack of defensive structures rather annoying... there's no way to keep bad things away. Also, the AI responsible for divvying up jobs is rather non-existent. When I designate some trees for chopping, every goblin drops what they're doing and rushes off to punch some trees down, leaving the rest of my industries on pause. There's no way to divide up labor and keep things running smoothly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:51 pm »

Id rather just say that this Roguelike takes inspiration dirrectly from Dwarf Fortress... but to say it aspires to be the same thing would also be a mistake.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 02:34:41 am »

I have enjoyed the few camps I've built and look forward to seeing how the game develops. Currently I run out of things to do quickly, but that's to be expected. I too find the mouse interface gets in the way, but then I use my keyboard for everything I can including browsing the net. I wish you could have more control over what jobs each creature does, but then I'm used to DF.

So far GC is a wonderful base for future updates and I can't pretend I haven't been temped to play with the source myself; However, I have my own project to contend with.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 02:59:33 am »

So I tried to download it at work and was told

Trend Micro InterScan for CSC SSM

The following security-risk is detected in HTTP traffic:

Item: www.goblincamp.com/releases/GoblinCamp012.zip
Action: deleted
Security risk: Virus/Malware PAK_Generic.001 found.

The InterScan for CSC SSM has scanned the file you are attempting to transfer, and has detected a security risk - the file will not be transferred.

Which would be the antiviral stuff my office runs. I'm assuming it's a false positive but it's annoying as it means I can't play it. Can someone who has it post screen shots and talk a little about it, or point me at a lets play.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 06:09:10 am »

The InterScan for CSC SSM has scanned the file you are attempting to transfer, and has detected a security risk - the file will not be transferred.

Which would be the antiviral stuff my office runs. I'm assuming it's a false positive but it's annoying as it means I can't play it. Can someone who has it post screen shots and talk a little about it, or point me at a lets play.

Well, I could say right now its a simplified DF, with an awesome UI, and some twists. First off, your goblins + orcs. Goblins do the nimble jobs(carrying supplies, farming, ect) while orcs do the heavy duty jobs(building walls, mining in the quarry, fighting off whatever monsters you find).

Without a guide, it took me about an hour to get the hang of things, unlike DF which requires me to have a wiki at all times.

Oh, and you get new members via a spawning pool, which spawns new gobbies/orcs every once in a while.

Only complaint would be is that there isn't much to do, but its still in its early versions(like .12), so hes just getting the basics down.

I'll get a screenshot in a second.

"Edit" Thought of some more things while getting the screenshot. First, there will only be 1 z-lv. This is to cut down on the work needed to represent it and just get it to work. He can spend more time on getting content in. 2nd, you are more of in a "manager" position then a direct overlord. You tell your gobbies to do stuff and they do it at their own pace. Instead of like in DF where you give them specific jobs and skill sets.

Ok, image shack is being stupid with me. I'll get the photo later today.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:17:55 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:09 am »

I'll play it once it gets bigger methinks.

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:54 am »

2g1o

I'm on edge on this mostly for the fact that reports (between the massive blind hate) don't have anything on sending goblins out and steal members of different races or loot civs of their cash ala free roaming adventure mode maybe call it snatcher mode.
Really people the lack ability to snatch up kids, wives, and husbands, pets, for slavery is what you should be foaming in the mouth about.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 02:08:54 pm »

There really isn't very much to do right now. I am not even sure that difficulty rises as you go along. Basically to start you build a spawning pool, farms, and a carpentry shop. You build some beds, doors, and clubs. You grow some berries and make pies.

Sometime in the second or third year, you have enough orcs to build up a stone query. I generally build it outside my walls. If you are feeling feisty you can also build a clay pit. This will spawn tougher monsters that almost always manage to eat goblins and the worker orc, but die pretty quickly to my stone-sworded guards and never make it into my base proper.

After that it is really just responding to small attacks. I guess it could be akin to playing dwarf fortress but never digging down, never getting sieges, and never doing exploratory mining. It is like you just stop playing after you get a simple farm built up.

At this point I’d call it more of a UI demonstration than a game. There are keyboard shortcuts, but there are really only 6 menus with some sub menus. The window can get in the way and you can’t really scroll the map while you are placing things. It takes a little getting used to, but is pretty friendly.
As a side note, I use the keyboard more than anyone I know, and I literally fly through every computer process. I have a list of run commands printed out so I can remember how to open calculator or paintbrush without running through the start - > programs bullshit. That being said, it takes a lot longer to build a 3x13 stockpile for wood in DF than it does in GC.
Even if you are a huge DF fanboi, you should give the GC interface an objective look.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 04:17:36 pm »

has anyone noticed that the maker gives credit to DF in the readme?

btw.. can you change zlevel in goblin camp?

edit: guys.. it cant be thaaat bad

this game has UNICORNS
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:33:15 pm by ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 04:37:39 pm »

Well, I could say right now its a simplified DF, with an awesome UI, and some twists. First off, your goblins + orcs. Goblins do the nimble jobs(carrying supplies, farming, ect) while orcs do the heavy duty jobs(building walls, mining in the quarry, fighting off whatever monsters you find).

Without a guide, it took me about an hour to get the hang of things, unlike DF which requires me to have a wiki at all times.

Oh, and you get new members via a spawning pool, which spawns new gobbies/orcs every once in a while.

Only complaint would be is that there isn't much to do, but its still in its early versions(like .12), so hes just getting the basics down.

I'll get a screenshot in a second.

"Edit" Thought of some more things while getting the screenshot. First, there will only be 1 z-lv. This is to cut down on the work needed to represent it and just get it to work. He can spend more time on getting content in. 2nd, you are more of in a "manager" position then a direct overlord. You tell your gobbies to do stuff and they do it at their own pace. Instead of like in DF where you give them specific jobs and skill sets.

Ok, image shack is being stupid with me. I'll get the photo later today.

Also, after giving it a good play through(about 2 hours) I ran out of things to do. Build a housing quarters, workshop quarters, farm, supplies, a town wall, some spawning pools and so on. I haven't figure out how to mine bogs for iron......its probably an incomplete feature as of now. I read he has plans to up the difficulty as your camp gets bigger.

I also have no clue what crates/barrels do, they were useless to me.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

You can designate a bog for bog iron by going to the orders command. The bog is the brown area. This game suffers from a lack of a "look" command like in DF. Sometimes you need information on an empty tile.

One of my first games I sent my orcs after a unicorn. It didn't go well, I managed to enrage the unicorn which then proceded to rampage through my base and kill everyone.

Not sure exactly what boxes and crates do. I know you can enable different storage containers for a stock pile. I assume barrels are liquid storage and crates are for things like stone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6