Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.  (Read 14711 times)

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp, May not be dwarves, but you will love it.
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:33 am »

For anyone keeping track of this a new version is out:
http://www.goblincamp.com/
# Bugfixes, one which was an especially subtle one affecting only some mods on some computers.
# Tilesupport! Long awaited, it's now here. The tileset that comes with v0.14 has been gathered from the forums as
well as crawl-tiles, but is lacking quite a few things, so help is really appreciated if anyone can contribute more
tiles.
# Fire. Imps throw fireballs and orcs can start fires themselves. Fire will burn through the forest pretty quickly
and destroy all things flammable. It's pretty great.
# Wind. Wind direction will affect which way fire will spread, and which way smoke moves
# Basic offensive spells have been added, and can be modded in pretty easily.
# Buckets, which is an important change because goblins can now use them to douse flames if they get too close.
Also dumping filth is done with buckets now instead of barrels.
# Chimneys. Constructions which use fuel to produce their products, such as kitchens, will produce smoke as the orcs
work and really add to the atmosphere. Mind you, working with fire always has its risks...
# Slope is calculated for the entire map depending on the heightmap used to create it, which will make filth
flow downwards. Most of the time this means that filth flows from your camp towards the river, but rocky
outcroppings may cause it go elsewhere.
# Rivers have a current, which can be observed when you have filth flowing into it. The filth will be taken by the
current and move downriver, accumulating on the banks and eventually flowing offmap to be someone else's problem
# The game now tracks how many years have gone by in gametime
# Stockpiles and farmplots can now be dismantled only partially, allowing you to use that and expansion to fine-tune
them to just your liking
# Constructions will be automatically repaired in the event that they get damaged by fighting or fire (constructions
also display their condition in the sidebar now, like creatures)
# Traits have been added. This is mostly just the framework for future things, but for now some goblins are born
less prepared to meet fire, and orcs change appearence depending on if they're fresh from the pool or if they've
already seen some fighting.
# A lot of new content has been added, many items, constructions, creatures and plants
# You can now create poison antidotes, healing tonics and even chillwine to stave weariness off. Creatures will
know to look for drinks and food to fix their ailments by themselves.
# Having all your goblins and orcs die no longer throws you back into the menu straight away, you can opt to watch
the carnage continue if you wish.
# Weapons and tools now take damage as they are used, and will eventually break.
# Creatures can be defined to spawn with equipment, so you can have elves attacked armed with bows and quivers full
of arrows
# The first trap has been added: the spiked pit. It'll help greatly in defence, though your creatures can fall
in too if they step too close, so think about where you place them.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2011, 09:46:48 am »

I don't see why people consider DF to be a roguelike.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:25 am »

-perma-death (with no traditional saving)
-procedurally generated content
-ASCII graphics

It's not a dedicated dungeon crawler, but it's got a set of characteristics typically only seen in rogue-likes.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:47 pm »

-perma-death (with no traditional saving)
-procedurally generated content
-ASCII graphics

It's not a dedicated dungeon crawler, but it's got a set of characteristics typically only seen in rogue-likes.

These.  If you look on the Roguebasin, you'll find things like Triangle Wizard, Guild, etc.  They have some elements of Roguelikes, but change many things.  They're still considered Roguelikes though.  I remember playing a space game that had very very little to do with it, but it used simplistic characters (not ASCII, it had dots of various colors and some symbols) and had permadeath, so it was classified.

Gonna try Goblin Camp.  I've been getting into game programming again, and I could use a breath of fresh air.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:18 am »

The text is gibberish-letters,

The border is covered in random tiles, and the game crashes if I click the option at the top.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 01:13:29 pm »

Wow. I've been under a shitstorm since I built a quarry.

2 soldier ant ambushes and 1 kobold raiding party have claimed 7 goblins and an orc.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 01:38:40 pm »

Argh.  I'm probably missing a config, but 30 FPS is too slow.  Plus my goblins seem to refuse to cut down trees.  Since I don't think I can build stone axes until I have a stone quarry and workshop, I'm stuck with two or three.  And the goblins won't use them arrrrrrrrrgh

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »

do you have a stockpile setup for wood yet?

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »

remember, you need a stockpile with wood selected ( and set the minimum in the stockpile to > 0 )

btw, for some reason I get 25 FPS too, while I was getting 70 yesterday. ...the hell ?
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

Yup.  A wood stockpile, some stone axes, a bunch of trees designated (with stock demanding 30 wood), as well as trees marked for cutting.  They just won't get to it.  The job list is filled with "Fell tree".

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »

Try designating the trees instead. That usually does it, nto sure what Fell Tree actually does myself.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »

Make sure you also have a tools stockpile. That was my mistake last game.

I am not sure on the FPS issues, I get like 78-80 and I have an older computer.

Personally, I dislike how fast your starting axes wear out. That means you have to wait a long fing time before you can chop down any more trees. I think the 2 starting ones should be super axes with 4 or 5x duribility.

It is still a good game. I am playing it inbetween LoL and WAR. Anyone able to enable another tileset yet? It says it has the default one but all I get are the ascii graphics. I thought they had a basic one put together.

Deon, help us out here! Make something purdy!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 02:43:26 pm »

The axes wear out?  I guess I was playing for two full in game years, they probably would break...  huh.  How long does it take for your camp to upgrade, allowing for stone quarries?

Also this laptop is terrible.  Since the FPS was consistently 30, I just assumed that was the average.  I could probably play it on my desktop for better results.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:39 pm »

I have started making an alternate tileset. it is really not finished, but it already has the unicorn, wild boar, netch, breastwork, 3 types of trees, mushrooms, nicer looking water and nicer looking spawn pool.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i have another one which is kinda weird, i made it because i liked the atmosphere the purple color gave the enviorment, but i am neglecting it for finishing the wasteland (the one above)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

btw, you need to go to settings and choose the tileset rendering option.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »

Ahhhhh! Tileset rendoring option! I knew it was something stupid.

Here is a link to the wiki section on Tiers. I have no idea if this is accurate.

http://goblincampwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tier

I think it probably takes 2 or 3 years. The crappy thing is you can't really build a wall before the stone quary because your (or atleast my) axes break before you have the required logs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6