Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Prostitution leagal in Canada (soon)  (Read 10629 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Prostitution leagal in Canada (soon)
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »

Except while that may may perfect sense for drugs there are two problems.
1) a woman can choose not to go.
2)women willing to be hookers are easier to find than it is to grow illegal drugs without being caught.
and with that I offically quit this thread before it becomes a flame war. Good day to you all, it was interesting to see another person's way of thinking.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:27 pm »

Why is it so hard to fathom that some women would willingly engage in prostitution? Once you get over dignity and disgust, it's the best damn job in the world - you make in an hour what average Joe makes in two or three days, it takes no skill and you don't have to do much.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:11 pm »

Good prostitutes need to be good actors.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

Why is it so hard to fathom that some women would willingly engage in prostitution? Once you get over dignity and disgust, it's the best damn job in the world - you make in an hour what average Joe makes in two or three days, it takes no skill and you don't have to do much.

People enjoy their dignity.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »

People enjoy their money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »

Not to mention that most people value not being beaten up, raped, controlled, coerced, murdered, ridden with STDs and so on...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

Seriously, how is voluntary prostitution so hard to understand? I mean, I find it more incredible that some people willingly work in Chinese mines.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »

Alright, scriver, I'm seriously questioning your logic at this point. I'm not certain where you get the basis for any of this, really. If prostitution is illegal, no one will do anything to stop sex slavery. Everyone involved will have commited some crime, and as such will save their own hides. If there is no penalty for being a prostitute, hiring a prostitute, or owing an establishment for the making of money through prostitution, then not only can regulatory officals be hired to ensure there is no disease, abuse, or trafficing going on, but every customer who suspects somthing is up can call the police without getting arrested.
This is true. But you also have to realise that legalising prostitution does indirectly legalise trafficking. Take for example the EU, where EU citizens are free to travel across all borders (especially for work purposes). Surely, you realise that it would lead to a kind of "sex emigration", where whoreganisations (yes, I am so proud of that pun I used it another time) would hire poor people of poorer countries to sells sex in richer countries. You said above that people will do anything for money, and this is also true, but it doing something because you feel it is your last way out does not mean you are doing it out of your own free will, or that people should stand by and let it happen. Even in a case where above events happen completely within the law, I can not say I feel it is a good thing (and I guess, neither do you).
I guess the whole rationalisation of the deal makes me uncomfortable on a very basic level. Even if I realise it is making things a little bit better, I can not help but feel as if people are sticking their head in the sand when they say that "hey, it'll help some people". I called you (people) out for being naive before, but I realise now that this is me being unreasonably idealistic - I want to help all people out of the prostitution business, even those that "chose" that path.

I am sorry scriver but it seems that it comes down to one basic fact.

You think regulating a industry will make it harder to control.
If you think this, then either you have misunderstood everything I said, or I have made a poor attempt to express myself.

[/talk]
It is now over 3 a.m. here in Sweden, and I am so tired I can hardly make any self of my own mind any more. Also, I admit I got caught by the "somebody is arguing with me on the Internet! I must reply, even if it will completely take us away from my original standpoint!" -fever earlier, and I did come out of it until now. So yeah, /talk it is.

beforeIposteditbecauseIcouldn'tresistachancetobeaknowitall:
They evolved into us though, mostly becouse they killed every other species that might have
No. We killed them. Neanderthal weren't primitive modern humans, the were a separate species who lived in the same time frame as early modern humans, before being killed off/outcompeted.
We did inbreed with them, though. Neanderthal genes has been found within the majority of the human population, with the exception of Africans.
Love, scriver~

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2010, 08:19:13 pm »

Well it'd be great if we lived in a happy place where everyone liked what they're doing, but this is real world. You think that sanitation workers enjoy sewer spelunking? Or that oil platform workers enjoy sitting on a catastrophe waiting to happen?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »

If I recall correctally, Neanderthal genes are responsable for the various eye colors. Only brown eyes are "native" to our species.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2010, 08:20:58 pm »

Not to mention that most people value not being beaten up, raped, controlled, coerced, murdered, ridden with STDs and so on...

Yes but. People do not join thinking of that. People join thinking of the money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

Oh by all means I can believe it (though apperantly the statistics on that is rather sad >_>, lets just say who takes up this profession tend to be very similar)

I am refering to however the still illegal form of the Sex Trade (Kidnapping) and I am wondering how it will be affected given that Canada's distance from the United States.

Though given to the expense of the Sex Trade, I could imagine illegal prostitutes remaining in the same way Sweat shops and illegal workers still exist.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2010, 08:22:15 pm »

Seriously, how is voluntary prostitution so hard to understand? I mean, I find it more incredible that some people willingly work in Chinese mines.
I can, but I strongly object to "it's the best damn job in the world".

Yes but. People do not join thinking of that. People join thinking of the money.
Exactly.  They join in spite of that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »

I can, but I strongly object to "it's the best damn job in the world".

How about "it sounds like the best damn job in the world."

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2010, 08:26:46 pm »

Surely, you realise that it would lead to a kind of "sex emigration", where whoreganisations (yes, I am so proud of that pun I used it another time) would hire poor people of poorer countries to sells sex in richer countries.

So basically you're against migrant labour? These people from poorer countries being brought into the richer countries to work in legal organisations wouldn't magically not be under the legal protection of the country they come into (The one with the regulated sex trade, remember?). Seems like a plus to me, they get better wages, legal protection, fantastic!

People enjoy their dignity.

Stupid generalisation. most people do. Some enjoy debasing themselves. Even better, some other, craaaaazy out there people, don't actually think selling sex is something to be ashamed of. I know, it's pretty out there, but I'm sure we can all wrap our heads around that hyper-complex fact sooner or later.
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10