Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skeletal Two-Humped Camel Assassin  (Read 2120 times)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skeletal Two-Humped Camel Assassin
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:15:34 pm »

Basically, I decided to challenge myself. Embarked to a terrifying saltwater area.

Skeletal Camels killed everyone (including my shield-and-axe bearing military dwarf).

Reclaimed.

A named skeletal camel from the last fortress spawned inside my Wagon the instant I started (it said it was an ambush). In an instant, it had struck down all of my animals and my military Dwarf.

Everyone scattered and it chased after my woodcutter. He didn't make it.

My miner made it underground into my fortress and I proceeded to set up a hermitage for him. The camel was far off on one corner of the map after finishing off that woodcutter, so my dwarves figured it would be ok to sleep at the other side of the map (I hadn't lasted long enough previously for farms or bedrooms, had only just set up my pump and irrigation shaft/well shaft).

That Skeletal Camel snuck up on the four sleeping dwarves and murdered them in their sleep. Apparently the horrid crunching noises and screams from their comerades less than 6 tiles away weren't enough to wake them.

My miner survived long enough for more migrants to arrive.

This fucking Camel killed another two recruits of my military.

I have come to the conclusion that this skeletal camel is an assassin sent by goblins to rid them of us once and for all.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletal Two-Humped Camel Assassin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 03:28:42 pm »

mod dwarves to reproduce asexually. It's not worth the risk to expose that miner to the surface.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:34:03 pm »

mod dwarves to reproduce asexually. It's not worth the risk to expose that miner to the surface.

Nah, I just have him restricted underground via a burrow. Tons of migrants have been scythed down by these skeletal camels though. I have about 9 dwarves now, in total, and am just getting farming up.

Attrition is high though, and I need to make some traps to get back at the bastards.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »

DEAR ARMOK NO!

A fleeing brewer led a skeletal camel down the stairs and into my fortress. It has killed 4 dwarves already.

I foresee yet another reclaiming in the near future. With 4 military dwarves.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:52:34 pm »

So... what's with the lack of a camel-proof door? I thought you were locking everyone underground anyway?

GL12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:55:33 pm »

So... what's with the lack of a camel-proof door? I thought you were locking everyone underground anyway?

Skeletal creatures have building destroyer. So he'd have to build a bridge to seal them off.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:12 pm »

They busted it down.

Also, when the migrants came to enter my fortress, they lured the camel in with them.

A single skeletal camel also killed 2 caravan guards and then his buddies butchered the rest of the merchants.

This is absurdly challenging, they are just waiting out there... Waiting...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »

What kind of military dwarves are you embarking with? That might have something to do with it as certain weapons are less effective on the undead than others.

And you really need to make an effort to capture F. Assassin Skamel so that you can either display him in the Dining Hall (barring other cataclysmic events, you're going to have a lot of engravings featuring him in the future) or pit him as a unwelcome guest disposal unit.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

World gen, please. this could make a Boatmurdered-class community fort.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

Get started on cage traps, I guess?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:50 pm »

Skellies are deadly, and you probably won't be able to beat them straight out of the embark. I've had skeletal deer take down invaders for me regularly before they got swarmed.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »

you can dig your entrance to exploit the fact that building destroyers can't destroy hatches from below.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 05:18:36 pm »

Building destroyer 1's (like undead) only destroy wooden things.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:30 pm »

Makes sense that they can only break wooden stuff :/

Is too late for a stone door--all but one have been slain.

I left for about 10 minutes and, upon returning, there was a massive choking cloud of miasma in the heart of my fortress.

Fucking Camels.

Also, if you tell me how to copy this world (world gen it, or whatever you said, Nightmare Bros), I would be happy to do so.

I am going to re-re-embark with more military dwarves. These camels are monstrosities. Although, the camel that murdered like 12 dwarves (between the two forts) finally died. To a two humped camel. The two humped camel just kicked it and despite the fact that the attack "glanced off", the skeletal two-humped camel assassin, Usenkathil, has been slain. It was maimed pretty badly by the numerous axe-wielding dwarves it mafia-kicked to death. I find it ironic that it was finally brought down by a living camel.

EDIT: Just got a wave of 25 migrants. They arrived directly in the midst of a wandering herd of undead camels. 16 migrants were killed, but the rest have made it... For now.

EDIT 2: One of the migrant's dogs had an epic 118 page battle with a skeletal vulture. It won, but every single part of its body is bruised.

EDIT 3: Said dog got its skull caved in by a skeletal camel. It will be entombed in silver (an abundant ore).

Things may have stabilized a bit. Farms are running, workshops are there, stockpiles are too, well is completed, walls and (stone) doors around entrances are completed, traps are on their way. Perhaps I may be able to etch out a living here after all...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:23:35 pm by mrtspence »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »

Quote from: mrtspence
Also, if you tell me how to copy this world (world gen it, or whatever you said, Nightmare Bros), I would be happy to do so.

Hit ESC, choose "Export Local Image", and then Enter. This will save off a copy of the world-gen data on your hard-drive under the main DF directory on your hard drive, as a .txt file. Note that this will just happen, and you won't get any confirmation notice. It also saves off one or more .bmp graphic files of the fort, and a couple of other .txt files that aren't of immediate importance. The one you want will be something like "Fortname-param-region1-201.txt" and start with the phrase "Created in DF v0.31.14.   [WORLD_GEN]".  Open it with Notepad, copy everything from the file, and paste it into a message here on the forum.

Note that you can use this to settle a 'virgin' copy of the fort-site yourself, if you want to start with a clean slate. In that case, you copy and paste that file into data/init/world_gen.txt. Be sure and change the line [TITLE:WHATEVER]  to something appropriate. You then Design New World With Parameters.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: [1] 2