Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop Cap didn't work.  (Read 428 times)

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop Cap didn't work.
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

I had set the pop cap to 12 in the init.txt, and I had 17 dwarves (2 children, 15 adults.)... but a wave of 5 immigrants came!
Strange...

Running PPC, OS X 10.4.11

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Cap didn't work.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Speaking of which, I'm having the opposite trouble.  I have my pop cap set to 40, and it is Winter 1053 and I still only have 10 dwarves.  Got two the first fall, one the following spring, and that's been it.  I've been selling stuff like normal, and it seems to be a really peaceful area, no ambushes at all.  In all my previous forts, with the default 200 pop cap, I would always get tens of immigrants each year.  This fort isn't behaving any differently than those in any respect I could imagine would be relevant.

And now that I think about it, that might have affected my previous fort.  I settled near my first lava pit.  I had meant to lower the pop cap to 40, but had forgotten to.  I got my first wave of immigrants, and a bunch of them got slaughtered walking past the fire imps.  Five survived, so I had 12 dwarves total.  I later changed the pop cap to the above mentioned 40, and continued playing.  I never got immigrants after that (though I only played for two or three years more).  I assumed it was because everyone was scared of getting killed, but I expected that to wear off after a while.  Maybe it was because the 40 pop cap wasn't working like it was suppose to, though.

Animals aren't counted in the population in any way when dealing with the pop cap, are they?  Because I have a ton of dogs.

Edit:

I should add a few additional details.  Two differences I do remember making besides the pop cap was setting BABY_CHILD_CAP to 0:0, and choosing 65x65 worlds rather than 257x257 worlds.  My fortress with the 10 dwarves has a created wealth of 71300, an imported wealth of 31507, and an exported wealth of 25643.  I have 36 trained animals and 60 other animals.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Exponent ]