Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple questions about castes  (Read 1049 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
A couple questions about castes
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:41:43 pm »

I'm modding in a race of sentient penguins. Ignore how stupid that is for a second. Rather than have the different species be different creatures, I'm making them castes of the same race.
My questions are twofold.

1. What tags can be used under [CASTE] rather than applying to the entirety of the creature?
2. Can I throw all of those under [CASTE] or do I have to define castes then use [SELECT_CASTE]?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions about castes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:48:33 pm »

1. What tags can be used under [CASTE] rather than applying to the entirety of the creature?

The vast majority of them. It's important to note that there are seperate tokens for the caste level, some of which should be declared in addition to the creature-level equivalent (for example, NAME and CASTE_NAME should both be declared in any creature that makes use of castes, whereas in the case of TILE and CASTE_TILE only the former must be declared).

2. Can I throw all of those under [CASTE]

Yes, so long as you don't declare another caste. Remember to use SELECT_CASTE:ALL when it's appropriate.

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »

I think local tokens are not caste specific.

For instance if you want your castes to have different materials for skin, etc you'll want to define those with a different token. (emperor_skin, galapagos_skin)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

Thanks, very handy.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:34:30 pm »

There aren't a whole lot of tokens that can't be caste-specific. Pretty much anything to do with population, spawning, or creature placement is creature-level only, so things like FREQUENCY, POPULATION_NUMBER, CLUSTER_NUMBER, probably UNDERGROUND_DEPTH, and also maybe EVIL, GOOD, BENIGN, and SAVAGE. Also all the vermin stuff and maybe MEGABEAST and SEMIMEGABEAST.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:41:56 pm »

Behaviour tokens like EQUIPS may apply to this as well. Plus, sometimes when everything seems logically and syntax-wise fine, some stuff like material definitions don't work properly (I had everything defined properly with blood definition after SELECT_CASTE:ALL and the blood was unidentified. If you change bodies for castes, it's safer to apply materials there as well (along with bodies).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:51 pm »

[EQUIPS] is caste-specific.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)