Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ropes/Chains and prisoners  (Read 2763 times)

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ropes/Chains and prisoners
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:54:58 am »

Well I'm playing on .12 and I'm having a problem with a GCS farm, namely my dwarves will never attach a prisoner to the required rope. I have 15 idle dwarves with the animal hauling labour on and none seem to care about attaching him. The strangest part is I know they will attach him as my last fort on the exact same version had a working gcs farm and they attached the prisoner(a goblin crossbowman) without a hitch, so my questions;

Are you able to attach goblin thieves to ropes?
Do they have to be chains to hold goblins or will rope do fine?

Thanks.

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ropes/Chains and prisoners
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:12:29 am »

Seems the iron chain didn't make a difference to the rope, nor did the goblin maceman make a difference. Anyone have any ideas?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:15:31 am »

Designate the chain to Justice?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:34 am »

I'd be surprised if this is possible. To put him on the restraint, they'd have to take him out of the cage first, and a goblin out of the cage would spook a civilian into running away.

When I need a goblin out of his cage, I link the cage to a lever and pull it when my marksdwarfs are in position. This is the best and only way I've found to train marksdwarfs in 31.12.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:32:20 am »

He's not trying to train marksdwaves, he's trying to attract a giant cave spider...

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:42:41 am »

I'd be surprised if this is possible. To put him on the restraint, they'd have to take him out of the cage first, and a goblin out of the cage would spook a civilian into running away.

When I need a goblin out of his cage, I link the cage to a lever and pull it when my marksdwarfs are in position. This is the best and only way I've found to train marksdwarfs in 31.12.

I'm 100% sure its possible, I've done it twice already in different forts. Animals don't spook civilians whilst being moved unless they wriggle free from the dwarf, its the same as when you assign an animal to a pit. This time it just doesnt seem to want to listen, Its almost as if the dwarves cant path to the chain, but I know they can as you need to be able to for the spider to web the goblin.

Also a caged-released goblin wouldnt work because it'd head straight for the door, which would be no use to me.

Edit: I thought justice was only for dwarven punishment? I'll give it a go.
Double Edit: Yeh justice makes the rope a room which dwarves will go visit (do not want)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:48:30 am by Mikehpoo »

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 03:20:10 am »

Ignore this, he's just being silly. Goblins can be pitted or chained, with the exception of Thieves and Master Thieves, since they automatically break free.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:11 am »

Also a caged-released goblin wouldnt work because it'd head straight for the door, which would be no use to me.

Put the door on mechanisms too so the goblin gets trapped in there.

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »

Put the door on mechanisms too so the goblin gets trapped in there.

Apparently the GCS has to be able to path to the goblin or it won't web, meaning a mechanismed door will block pathing. I'll give it a test anyway, thanks.

Failing that, does anyone know if you can un-tame an animal somehow?

Edit: tested pitting, GCS won't shoot without a valid path. Starting to really regret taming these spiders.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:36:33 pm by Mikehpoo »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »

A quick question: Dungeon Master or modded spiders/modded nobles?

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 04:23:39 pm »

Modded, dungeon master doesn't come and the last 6 forts I've not seen a single GCS. Something I really wanted in this fort  :P

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:12 am »

Ok with some more testing done, it seems that only hostile creatures the dwarves will refuse to chain. The job appears in the "j" menu but is set to inactive despite having plenty of free dwarves. Is this something I can fix with updating to .16? I'd really like to get my silk farm going.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:31 am »

The only dwarves that will ever lead hostile creatures to cages/chains are ones with the "Animal Training" labor enabled. Of course, any dwarf will be glad to drop them into a Pit, which can be rather annoying.

Also, back in 40d, captured Invaders (i.e. soldiers, not thieves) didn't seem to put up a fight and could be safely dragged across the entire fortress without any injuries or even job cancellations. I haven't explicitly checked this in 0.31, but I've been able to transfer caged goblins short distances without them putting up a fight (while thieves would immediately run away).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:59:15 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mikehpoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:58:55 am »

The only dwarves that will ever lead hostile creatures to cages/chains are ones with the "Animal Training" labor enabled. Of course, any dwarf will be glad to drop them into a Pit, which can be rather annoying.

You have actually saved me from melting my own brain, thank you a million times over. I always assumed that animal training was just for the training of war animals. Dear Amok I feel stupid.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 01:22:24 pm »

Apparently the GCS has to be able to path to the goblin or it won't web, meaning a mechanismed door will block pathing. I'll give it a test anyway, thanks.

Failing that, does anyone know if you can un-tame an animal somehow?

Edit: tested pitting, GCS won't shoot without a valid path. Starting to really regret taming these spiders.
You can always let the GCS deal with the Goblin too. Gets silk and dead Goblins.