Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SO I'M CONSIDERING ENGINEERING  (Read 2612 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SO I'M CONSIDERING ENGINEERING
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »

Help?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: SO I'M CONSIDERING ENGINEERING
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »

Aerospace engineering as in rocketry?

If (by some chance) you happen to be in America yet want to go to school in Canada, and are also in high school, I can recommend a great program to you called the Team America Rocket Challenge. Students build rockets to get as close to a target (say, 850 feet with a 45 second flight and an onboard egg not cracking) as possible, and the closest wins.

I'm not sure about Canada, but try physics and math classes (lots of them) and practice with rockets until you are certified to launch 'Level 3' rockets (or whatever the term is in Canada), at which point you enter the danger zone, and you can skip a lot of on-the-job training.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »

Engineering in Canada? University of Waterloo comes to mind.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:21 am »

I am assuming you havent started college yet or you would already know what to take...my advice would be to start off in a general engineering course (if you aren't sure go mechanical) and talk to your professors about which courses to enroll in.  Engineering is an awesome field because you can start as say, an electrical engineer, and end up programming. 

Now, as for which college to attend, I have no clue.  If I lived in Canada, I probably would but eh.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:49:34 am »

aerospace engineering? that is great!
I just started university with that goal in mind. Unluckily, I have to start with mechanical engineering since to study aerospace I would need to move to the other side of the country ( italy). Which means that I need to find money first, and so i need time.

being on the other side of the ocean I cant give you advice, but what are you planning to do after you get the doctorate? Who knows, maybe we will meet at work in the future :P

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21:31 am »

When did google go down? :P  (remember to scan past the advertisements to see a list.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:24:26 am by Virex »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

I'm doing engineering and I hate it. Mostly because of the ridiculous workload :P

If you're aiming that high, get yourself a solid foundation. Solid foundations are everything in engineering. If you're mathematically weak anywhere, it's like taking literature while not having a good grasp of the language. Go out there and pick a really nice, thick book on calculus. Understand it from front to back, while you have a lot of free time now. If possible, try to get at least one chapter per week, because that's about the pace you'll go in college. You can never get enough calculus in any kind of engineering, and you'll have to learn to love it if you even want to survive your Bachelor's. Other math is also recommended, like statistics and linear algebra.

Get into the best school you can afford (academically and financially). There's a lot of BS in engineering. Most of the time they'll teach you the theoretical part, but leave you completely useless practically. It's for a good reason, though, because the practical part really, really hurts. A lot of engineers quit engineering and become lecturers because they can't do the shit they're expected to do, only understand the concepts. But heck, if you have any passion for it, I know you want to build something cool, and you definitely want to go to the best schools for that.

And heck, if you can afford it, travel to a foreign country. It's a lot more tiring, but definitely worth it, IMO. You get a different experience culturally, learn way more.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:54:03 pm »

I can personally only recommend UW-Platteville, but that's because I don't trust other people to recommend schools. In my opinion it's best if you figure out what you want from a school first, visit a few that seem like good fits (there's at least one excellent guide available that has a number of features listed in review-ish format, forget what it's called, and I can't imagine Canada lacks one), talk to the professors you'd be with (if you can't, or they refuse to set up an appointment, that's a really bad sign, as you're going to be working with them for a long time)

I have the opposite experience with pricey vs. non - I was considering Northwestern, one of the best journalism schools in the US, for technical writing (I wanted to be the guy editing reports for engineers, weirdly enough), and then I visited it, and I realized I'd hate it. Then I checked out Platteville (a state school, though one of the better in general for engineering) for their engineering physics program, and it just clicked much better. Smaller campus, friendlier teachers, places to get away from people (Northwestern is interweaved with Chicago, while at Platteville you can smell horses from their music building and walk everywhere), and a promising technical advantage.

Of course I only stayed there for like a month and a half before my emerging bipolar fucked things over for me, but it's still something to consider. If you don't like your college, you hate your professors, you can't get any help from people you do like, and you're working non-stop to keep up with financial obligations, your academic experience is going to suffer, badly. Plenty of people from modest schools go on to do exceptional engineering. It comes from the heart <3<3

Forgive me, I haven't much sleep.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:56:12 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:41 am »

The heart?

Oh god.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:21 pm »

I can say of American engineering, try to figure out whether you want to work in industry or academia. (i.e. why you like engineering in the first place.) Because you will get asked that a lot as you go through school. American schools are very hard up for engineering professionals and academics. One doesn't pay as much but you get to do research...the other pays very well but you don't do research so much as application. Figuring out which you prefer will help guide you through your initial and future? engineering degrees.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »

Yep, Waterloo is the engineering school of Canada. Not sure if we have Aerospace, but I imagine we do.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:58:12 am »

Just remember you will need a lot of math.  Paticularly higher level calculus. If words like derivitives and integrals intimidates you, then you may want a new field.  If you already have a good math foundation and enjoy it, they you are probably on the right path. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:40:14 pm »

Yep, Waterloo is the engineering school of Canada. Not sure if we have Aerospace, but I imagine we do.
York and Toronto.

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

Hi DoctorZ, I'd like to chime in based on my experience in a related field (mechanical engineering).  You don't mention where you are in school; I'm assuming you haven't started your bachelor's yet.

You don't have to stay in the same school for your whole college career.  I did my bachelor's at a school that concentrated on undergraduate education, and it was wonderful.  At a school that concentrates on research, you might have trouble getting attention from the professors as an undergrad.  If possible, tour prospective schools and try to talk to professors or instructors who aren't part of the tour.  See if they'll even give you the time of day.  When looking at graduate schools, you're more likely to be talking to specific professors at different departments who do research in the specific area you're interested in.

At the school where I did my undergrad, there was no aerospace engineering (AE) major, only a minor within the mechanical engineering (ME) department.  Don't be afraid of getting an ME bachelor's degree instead of AE; the fields are closely related.  At the school where I got my Master's and Ph.D., I took as many AE classes as I did ME, and in my ME classes there were always lots of AE majors.

I would recommend taking a few years off from school after the BS to work as an engineer.  Don't go straight through to the Ph.D. without experiencing anything but academia.  Working for a few years gets you:
  • paychecks -- you can pay down some student loans and/or build up some savings
  • experience of how engineering actually works -- Muz mentioned that engineering schools often don't teach the practical side very well -- it's true!  They also don't teach the business of engineering.
  • maturity/life experience -- helps keep you from getting run over by your advisor
And, of course, you might discover you don't want to do grad school.  I worked for five years before going back to grad school, but I wouldn't recommend waiting that long.  My fundamental knowledge had started to fade, even though I used my engineering knowledge regularly.

At all levels At the graduate level, concentrate on classes that teach the fundamentals at a high level; be wary of don't take too many classes about specific technologies.  You won't have very much freedom to pick classes at the undergrad level, though.  Once you have the fundamental physics you can learn any specific field.  Lots of math will be necessary.  At the graduate level, don't neglect statistics, and a class on solution techniques for differential equations will be helpful.  You'll need lots of fluid mechanics or solid mechanics classes, depending on whether you're interested in what's going on outside or inside an aerospace vehicle.  If you're interested in the power plant, you should look at thermodynamics and chemical thermodynamics classes too.  Take a few classes on numerical methods, but make sure they teach the mathematics of the methods and not just how to use a specific program.  Take a class on technical communication.

Enjoy!

Edit: On second thought, I got a little over-excited in the last paragraph there.  The undergrad engineering curriculum is full.  There's nothing wrong with just making it through the undergrad curriculum and taking whatever classes sound interesting for your electives.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:14:53 pm by Mattasmack »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:02 pm »

So! I'm gonna have to print off all that wonderful advice, especially those | three | posts
Pages: [1] 2 3