Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sleep-Deprivation  (Read 3352 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep-Deprivation
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 12:18:18 pm »

I had my experiments... was sort of awake for almost a week. The first few days were really hard, because I felt hella tired. Then it became sorta normal, but still, I started to fall asleep for a few minutes at times. At first I didnt even notice that. But when I ordered a drink and the waitress woke me up when she brought it, I got the hint, that I might not be awake all the time.

Never got paranoia, never got visual hallucinations (or I wasnt able to discern them from reality :D) but boy, I get aural hallucinations big time. It's pretty easy to notice too, because usually it's sounds that really don't fit in.

I got one big tip for all you sleep deprived people (apart from "go to sleep!"): watch comedy shows. They get really funny that way  ;D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »

I had my experiments... was sort of awake for almost a week. The first few days were really hard, because I felt hella tired. Then it became sorta normal, but still, I started to fall asleep for a few minutes at times. At first I didnt even notice that. But when I ordered a drink and the waitress woke me up when she brought it, I got the hint, that I might not be awake all the time.
That's microsleep. Your brain becomes "fed up" with you not sleeping, forcing you straight into REM sleep for short periods to try and compensate for your apparent suicidal wakefulness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »

The most I've gone without sleep is 24 hours or so.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

Some 34 hours for me, no halucinations or paranoia (well no more than usual). Wasnt even that tired after the first 20 hours or so. Not planning on repeating it though, my brain was constantly in monday morning mode. I hate that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

I think I did something like 40 hours once. I can't remember much, except that it utterly destroyed my memory. I'd do something, and half a minute later it'd feel like a distant dream, and I wasn't sure if it had actually happened. You know that thing in dreams where you don't notice when things drastically change? Some fundamental principle of how the world works is different than five minutes ago, and you just take it in stride? And right after you wake up, you'll remember the dreams making sense, but don't understand the logic behind them. Kind of like that. Like being in a constant state of just having woken up from a really weird dream. I don't think I got actual hallucinations, but I don't think I would have necessarily noticed.

I haven't heard of sleep deprivation having any long term effects, but on the other hand, I don't know how extensively that has been studied.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

I've hit 94 hours before, a not-quite-an-achievement I did last January. I tend to go 40ish hours between sleeps, or I may sleep every day but only get one or two hours around 9 or 10 am. If you haven't even pulled an all-nighter before, I'm very surprised and kind of impressed. Anyways, I've never had visual hallucinations but I've certainly had audio ones in the form of the beeping my alarm clock makes. I got very paranoid about it, but then my brain just kind of stopped thinking and I stopped noticing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 07:33:33 pm »

I've only stayed up throughout the night twice. Once when I was playing a game of Axis and Allies (13 hours in and we called it a tie. Damn you, tank spam!), and once running a sound system all night. Both times I went to bed shortly thereafter.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 09:08:41 pm »

A few times I went 2-3 days with no/very little sleep, and occasionally I just skip a night's sleep entirely because I want the time. I end up a bit fatigued but never anything else. The fatigue isn't even substantial with less than ~40 hours.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 11:34:53 pm »

Fuck, I just realized how late it is.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 06:03:49 am »

Longest I've ever done is, I think, 19. Not really that bad compared to other people in this thread, but once I pass the 16 hour mark I become very detached and have to keep reminding myself that what's happening is happening.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 06:09:43 am »

I've never been up for more tha 26 hours or so at once, though im tempted to experiment how long I can go >.>. No visual or audial hallucinations, and if there was paranoia I wouldn't have noticed it anyway, I'm extremely paranoid even with an overabundance of sleep.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »

Okay, wow. I just had something weird happen. I was tired, and I heard sounds as if they were moving around the room (or orbiting my head or something), but they weren't. Crazy.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »

I think my longest is around 32 hours. After a while you get a creepy second wind, but when you finally lie down and relax, you're out like a light.
!!&!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »

I liken going to sleep after 40 hours of being awake to dying. I mean....your whole body just goes quiet. It's not like that peaceful drifting off kind of sleep. No, it's that "I crave oblivion" kind of sleep.

Anyways, I think 55 hours is my longest or something. No hallucinations, just that delicious feeling of moving through life in slow motion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

Like moving through pudding, or liquefied children.
Pages: 1 [2] 3