Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sleep-Deprivation  (Read 3351 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sleep-Deprivation
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:29:14 pm »

Has anyone here been awake long enough to have visual hallucinations? I used to go for days without sleeping.

First came the paranoia. Whenever I walked through the house I felt like someone was going to break into the house through the sliding-glass door. I literally could not be in the living room when it was night or when people were gone and almost had to lock my bedroom doors at night for the sake of my sanity.

Then came Audio. Oh boy, the sounds. I don't hear them anymore, but for a time I heard shit out of nowhere. Freaky stuff

Edit: Almost forgot, this is just a general experience sleep-deprivation thread.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep-Deprivation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »

Around 60 hours I get that super paranoia. Around 80 everything just sort of starts listing to the sides.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »

Huh. I do the paranoid and auditory hallucinations without sleep deprivation.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:03 pm »

Has anyone here been awake long enough to have visual hallucinations? I used to go for days without sleeping.

Not so much visual hallucinations, as drifting into half-sleep and not realizing it, sometimes even with my eyes open.

Moods and comprehension are another big effect.  One week, I was cramming in all kinds of stress and very little sleep.  When my alarm clock went off after two hours sleep by Friday, I literally woke up screaming.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:20:59 am »

Sometimes if I'm doing something really boring without getting enough sleep first I'll pass out for just a short while and immediately start to dream before suddenly waking up.  It's annoying because it takes a second for my brain to switch back on and realize I was dreaming sometimes.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:27:44 am »

You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:11:20 am »

I get really paranoid, start looking behind me and looking around.. I sometimes see shadows and crap moving around. I have currently been up for almost like 20ish hours, I am trying to fix my sleep pattern and I still gotta make it through this new day its only 5:10 am. But I am going to the range with a friend later the noise should wake me up :D.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:54:33 am »

I've never been awake more than 24 hours myself, but I haven't exactally tried to do any longer. Besides crushing fatiuge, there are no side-effects at that point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:21:53 am »

Worst I went was over 30. And even at 18 hours, I started struggling to maintain sanity. Not easy writing 7 pages + 12 pages of low level code when sleep deprived without going crazy.

I don't ever want to do it again. Worst experience of my life. I could probably go 48 hours or more without sleeping, but I can also do that without eating. It ain't natural yo, probably would cause some long term damage.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 10:51:29 am »

I was up for 32 hours a few months ago, and thoroughly drunk for 26 of that. I got drunk early in the evening, stayed up all night watching married with children and drinking bourbon, then drank black coffee with vodka in it and spent six hours wandering around a renaissance faire, near the end of which I felt like shit as I'd begun to sober up, then I drank more spiked coffee, drank some more non-spiked coffee, went home and passed out. By the end, the only thing keeping me upright was the alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, and numerous burns and bruises I'd acquired due to being drunk while smoking.

Didn't get any hallucinations from it though, just extremely painful fatigue. I did get sleep-deprivation hallucinations once in highschool, when I took roughly 1.2 grams of caffeine in the form of espresso. When that started to wear off, I felt like I'd been awake for days, complete with an inability to think straight and various visual... malfunctions. Like seeing afterimages of things moving around, while the object itself vanished, and moving shadows. Horrible experience, really.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 10:56:46 am »

Longest I've ever been awake was around 30 hours. I woke up one morning, ran the sound systems for an all-night cancer walk, and then went on a field trip the next morning where I ran up a mountain and back, before going home and sleeping until the next day.

No hallucinations, just tiredness.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:01:37 am »

I don't usually go for too long without sleep, but I've been sleeping for only about 5-6 hours a day for a few years now. Might need to stop that.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 11:44:18 am »

Went about three days without sleep. Saw a stereotypical Native American man (think Village People) stick his head out of my closet. I decided it was time for bed after that.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 11:52:31 am »

You went to sleep while there was a Native American man in your closet!? Don't you think that's a bit reckless?

Also, I wouldn't be concerned about risking your health with sleep depraivation untill about the 100th hour. If memory serves, that's when your synapses begin to fall apart and you start risking a heart attack.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:06:43 pm »

I used to stay up for 40-60 hours regularly several years ago.

I had no issues other then being tired. The hallucinations actually lessened.
Pages: [1] 2 3