Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: forum access problems  (Read 789 times)

abatishko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
forum access problems
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I'll just do it here...

Recently I have been unable to access the forum using Mozilla Firefox (Windows XP). When I go to any forum page, it wants to save ultimatebb.cgi as a file, rather than opening the page. I have no problems with Firefox on another computer, and I have no problems with IE. I also do not have any problems with other cgi based forums.

So, does anyone have any idea what is going on here? It used to work just fine...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: forum access problems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

This is from Firefox 1.5, so I don't know if it also applies to Firefox 2.0 (which I'm still not particularly interested in updating to, since it'll break some of my extensions' compatibility).

Click Tools|Options... in Firefox's task menu, then click the Downloads button at the top.  In the bottom left of this dialog, there should be an "View and Edit Actions" button.  If anything appears in there for extensions of the sort ".cgi", it's possible you, at one point or another, downloaded a CGI page and clicked the checkbox that says "Do this automatically for files like this from now on".

If nothing appears, there are other tricks to check as well:

* Did you check to make sure Sticky Keys was disabled in Windows XP?  Perhaps you pressed and held the Ctrl key at one point, which enabled Microsoft's pointless Sticky Keys feature.

* Did you clear your browser cache?  Ctrl+Refresh clears out the session cache.  Tools|Options...|Privacy allows you to clear out everything else.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

I remember clearing the browser cache and cookies solved this problem for somebody else before.  I don't know if there's anything I can do on this end.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Toady, If you own the server and serve with apache, change the default file type / download type to "application/octet-stream".

A lot of browsers/OSes/phases of the moon tend to cause quirkiness if it is set to the default of "text".

On the other hand, if you are serving with something else... May God take pity on you.   :p

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »

That is already the default application type (the b12 it guy had me change it when I first posted the ocean cmv).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

abatishko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:31:00 am »

Deleting my cookies for bay12games.com did in fact fix the problem. Thanks for the help!