Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You are SPACE PILOT!  (Read 2470 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are SPACE PILOT!
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:11:00 am »

Not much happens on Merlin.  You know that, you were born there.  The only real place worth mentioning if you don't live there is Sirocco, the spaceport.  To the rest of the galaxy, the rest of Merlin is just endless pink-laced ice and ocean, home to a wide variety of aquatic life.  You know this isn't true - Merlin is dotted with tiny settlements, often nomadic in nature.  These clusters of huts, trailers and even igloos follow the currents and the fish beneath the ice - mobile factories and processing plants often follow them, skirting from one camp to the next to collect their bounty.  Most of the fish is then freeze-dried and shipped out - mining colonies will pay a fortune for real meat (or fish, as the case may be).  You've seen the adverts for SynthBeef and its companion 'meats' - you've no idea how they compare to real beef, but the fish substitute leaves a lot to be desired.

That is the full experience of your understanding of galactic economy, along with the various luxury and industrial imports that come down to Merlin through Sirocco.  You've been to the city once before - much of the original pre-fab construction is still in place, giving the city the look of an old model city, tarnished with age and exposure.  There's never been much reason for Sirocco to grow, so it never did.  And that's fine by them.

You fully expected to live the rest of your life here staying with the same people, the same friends and maybe even the same job.  Fate, however, had other plans.

What... is your name?
What... is your gender?
What... is your favourite colour job?

And any other incidental background details you wish to mention.

------

If this plot and setting seems familiar to you, well done!  You have the same taste in classic gaming as I do.  There will be a number of shared elements and I may end up simply using that universe a la carte, so hopefully any Brabenites in the audience won't kill me.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: You are SPACE PILOT!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:43 am »

What... Pansy elf
What... Gender Confused
What... pink
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:18:27 am »

Sarekhen the Just
Male
Mad Priest
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:08:46 pm »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »

Jack Visily

Male

Shipper for Fish'n'Jums: A company that buys, processes, and sells fish.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:14 pm »

Maj Nose.
Undecided.
Fisher with fish allergy.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

"Jack Visily?"

You blink again, bleary-eyed, at the attractive woman on your doorstep.  Lithe, young, blonde, pretty and (impresively) not a hint of surgery.  Must be genealtered or natural, you suppose, so pretty but not rich.  This is borne out by her t-shirt with the double-D slogan.

"I, sorry what?" you murmur, your mouth still feeling like fish guts.

"Jack Visily?" the girl repeats.  "I'm from Direct Delivery, I have a package for him?"

"Oh, right.  Thank you-" Jack glanced at the ID badge on the girl's chest, trying not to linger too long, "-Alice.  That's me.  Where do I press?"  Alice proffers a small pad, which you press your thumb upon.  The little machine bleeps, and Alice hands you a slender package, flat and no larger than a datapad.  She gives you a pleasant wink and heads off along the promenade.

You stretch and yawn, sticking the package down on the sideboard behind your door.  You take a look around the promenade briefly, rubbing your eyes.  Same as ever; long steel corridor with dozens of steel doors and rooms.  'Glass' roof, or what passes for glass these days, and glass windows at the stairwells at both ends, giving you an excellent view of the same purple sky and pink ice floes you've seen throughout your entire life.  You close your door and step back into your room.

Cubicle would be a little generous.  On a shipper's salary, you can't afford much more.  There's a bed that folds up, or around to double as a table; a cupboard/closet where you stash clothes and uniforms; a vidscreen computer built into the wall (both for recreation, work, and the endless God-damned bulletins); a waste slip and a solitary folding chair.  Nobody invites someone back to a cube, dates happen on the main rec deck and if you ever get married you save up for a double.  Still, for a single man the cube is perfect.  Which is to say, bearable.

There are a handful of personal touches, of course.  An old Jjagged Bbanner poster (plastic film), a harmonica that after years of hassle you finally can play a half decent tune on, two ticket stubs to a screening with Maria and a group photo of yourself and your family.  Real paper too, which was suitably expensive.  It's not like there are many trees on Merlin anyway.

Your father, Sarekhen, stands proudly in the centre.  Sarekhen would have scoffed at this life, probably.  He was a priest, back in the village, a man of some standing.  A trailer of his own, and easily twenty times larger than your cube.  Unfortunately by the end even that couldn't save him from the illness.  The last you saw of your father was a weak, confused wave as he was carried into a speeder - you didn't even get to say goodbye.  Two weeks later, the letter came from the asylum and that was that.  You can't even remember the funeral.

Your mother, Marta, stands beside him.  Her side of the family flanks to the left, your father's to the right.  You're familiar with most of them - all mostly fishermen back in the village.  Not a life for you - you learned early on of your allergies to fish, a practically unheard of thing on Merlin.  As a result, you figure you probably spend a fifth of your wage on antihistamines just to eat.  Well, that's life, isn't it?  Your father's side of the family stretches back three generations, though your mother's does not.  Her mother (your maternal grandmother) never really spoke about your grandfather - you understand she raised your mother alone.

You shake your head clear.  It might be your day off, but you shouldn't waste it daydreaming.  You pick up the package again.  It looks about the right size and shape to be a card, but you don't know anyone due for a birthday.  Even so, you tear open the plastic and deposit it in the waste slot, opening what to your surprise is a real paper envelope.  There is a letter enclosed;

To my grandchildren,

If you are reading this, I am dead.  This will not affect you negatively, as I never knew any of you, and you never knew me.  I was and am a solitary man, save those moments that gave rise to your parents.  Still, I feel I should leave something to those who come after me.  Yet there are so many of you that my fortune shall be spread thin as space!  Still, I have lodged sufficient funds and instructions with my solicitors (Messrs Sue, Cripple & Sneer of Mars) to ensure that each of you will receive a single Eagle Mk I, a hundred credits and my blessing.

It is my hope that my grandchildren will be able to enjoy the life that I did, the adventure of space.  True, space has civilised much since my day - I daresay you would not believe many of the adventures I might care to recount!  Even so, there is still much to do.  Some of you will enjoy the life of a trader, taking this small cruiser and making your fortunes from it.  Others may take the more mercenary route of a bounty hunter, or fall to the temptations of smuggling or piracy.  Still others might seek the lonely path of exploring uncharted space.  Mining?  Perhaps another time.

Whatever you choose, know that you have my blessing and the hope that one day you might achieve the same success that I did when I had your youth and opportunity.

Kindest Regards,

Peter Jameson

Enclosed are the deeds to a ship, and a credit slip for what you would suppose would indeed be a hundred credits.  You let out a long, low whistle.  More money than you've ever held in your life - nearly half a year's wages at once.  Where will you go from here?

-----------

As you may have guessed already, I am basing this in the universe of David Braben and Ian Bell's Frontier: Elite II.  We have the option of remaining free-form with this, or turning this into a semi Let's Play with the game.  Should we do things that depart from the scope of the game (getting multiple ships etc) we'll depart back into free-form anyway, but I'd still like to hear suggestions.

Also, a left out bit from above:  A shipper in the context of the mobile factories drives speeders or other light transits across the ice to villages not directly in the factory's path.  There, they pick up and pay for catches and haul them back to the factory for processing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:26:02 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »

Check if the ship is large enough for more than one and if any of your friends want to come along, shop for supplies, and then get of this accursed snowball!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 03:45:15 pm »

Run to catch up with the delivery girl and ask her to explore the stars with you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 06:17:30 pm »

First we must get this ship, who knows where it can be at this point. Then off we go to buy what we need.

Doret

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm an Alien Roomba....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

Sell the ship for an outrageously large amount of money and buy a bigger ship. Take this ship and fly to some large asteroid and nudge its orbit so it'll collide with Mars or Earth.

Serious: Go to the ship, inspect it. Pay for Piloting lessons, for space ships. Specifically small to medium size ships.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:48:22 pm by Doret »
Could I ever find a signature as catchy as that?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »

How bout not?

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:48:49 am »

First we must get this ship, who knows where it can be at this point. Then off we go to buy what we need.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 01:15:13 am »

Check on the ship, then head off to get your apartment sold or rented or whatever,
since we probably wont be returning to our.. humble abode..
THEN off to adventure!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 01:57:09 am »

Deciding to seize the moment, you run out of the room and down the stairs in search of Alice, but the delivery girl has long gone.  Damn.

You sit down, trying to get to grips with the information in the letter.  A space ship?  A real space ship?  Okay, the term seems a little redundant here on Merlin; despite the fact that the entire surface is covered with water, actual boats aren't needed except around the equator where the ice sometimes breaks at the height of summer.  Even so, a ship of your very own!  You immediately turn on your vidscreen and try to ignore the various corporate bulletins that pop up, searching the hypernet for information on the Eagle Mark I.  You find some specs for an Eagle Ranger in the end.  A cheesy old theme tune plays as you access the shipyard site.  Ugh, these things went out of fashion years ago.  Still a classy tune, though.

Not bad.  Almost bottom of the rung, but serviceable.  25 tonne hull, class 1 hyperdrive, scanner, autopilot (very useful!), and atmospheric shielding.  Oooh, and as an excellent bonus a Phlaschyte Pulse Laser on the front mounting.  8 light year jump range, and assuming a full tank and fuel for the jump... you should have 3 tonnes of cargo hold left to use.  Only the one cockpit, crew of one and - ah, the cockpit doubles as main cabin on this model, complete with 'all catering services provided'.  You sure as hell hope that includes a fridge and a shower.  Your own shower would be pretty neat, all said and done.

You scoot back from the chair and check the envelope contents again.  A chip for holovid piloting lessons?  You can't afford a holo- oh, wait, ship has one.  You guess your mysterious grandfather really wanted you on the road (er, in the void?) quickly.  Instructions from the lawyers to have the ship delivered... this evening?!  Bloody hells, they're fast.  You'll have to catch a ride on a message speeder headed back to - oh crap, now you really need to find that delivery girl.

Pages: [1] 2