Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13352 times)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:37 am »

An unlawful government would be one that violates its own notions of rights or responsibilities to the governed,
An unlawful government would be one that violates its own notions of rights or responsibilities to the governed...

Come on, man. Democrats trampled on the rights of their constituents, I don't have to explain why that was unlawful government.
Did you forget to attribute the source of the quote originally?  If not, you just started an argument with yourself.

At any rate, I think a lawful government is best defined as the government the governed think should be in place.  This way you may still have a law you believe is morally incorrect without thinking the system as a whole is wrong.  I think the U.S. Government as a whole is lawful, but I wouldn't agree with the law proposed in the OP.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2010, 11:39:49 am »

An unlawful government would be one that violates its own notions of rights or responsibilities to the governed,
An unlawful government would be one that violates its own notions of rights or responsibilities to the governed...

Come on, man. Democrats trampled on the rights of their constituents, I don't have to explain why that was unlawful government.
Did you forget to attribute the source of the quote originally?  If not, you just started an argument with yourself.

At any rate, I think a lawful government is best defined as the government the governed think should be in place.  This way you may still have a law you believe is morally incorrect without thinking the system as a whole is wrong.  I think the U.S. Government as a whole is lawful, but I wouldn't agree with the law proposed in the OP.

On the contrary, when DJ implied that in my view it would be immoral to defy Jim Crow segregation, I clarified by quoting myself where I explained how it was not a moral imperitive to obey a government that trampled on the rights of the governed, using the example DJ made (Jim Crow) and defining who was supporting Jim Crow in the south so this didn't become another lolredneck discussion.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:26 am »

Ah.  Sorry about that, got confused.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:41 am »

Yeah, if you had been skimming the posts you probably would miss DJ's, which is itself why I'm talking about Jim Crow and Democrats in the first place. I don't launch into those sorts of things entirely unprompted.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2010, 12:04:52 pm »

Well, it doesn't have to be anything as drastic as racial segregation, it's just the first example that came to mind.

A lesser example would be the marijuana prohibition. There's no victims in the "crime" of sale and consumption of marijuana, it's just the government being a bunch of patronizing bastards and forbidding us to do things "for our own good". Unlike the government, I believe that freedom is more important than child-proofing the world, so any such limitations to my freedom is a form of government oppression. The only time when my freedom should be limited is when I start infringing upon the freedom of others (and no, offending someone's moral/religious sensibilities doesn't cut it). So, when I light a joint, I'm not just doing it for the sake of getting high, I am also purposefully defying the laws to do my part in overwhelming the system and forcing the government to reconsider it's laws. This is textbook civil disobedience. But just because I don't agree with some of the laws doesn't mean that I think that the government as a whole is unlawful.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »

I think you would have to tell others about your smoking habits, and pressure the government without incriminating yourself for that to help.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »

No, it helps. Like I said, the idea is to overwhelm the system with sheer volume of marijuana being smoked and trafficked. Sure, I don't mean much alone, but every bit counts.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:07 pm »

So, when I light a joint, I'm not just doing it for the sake of getting high, I am also purposefully defying the laws to do my part in overwhelming the system and forcing the government to reconsider it's laws. This is textbook civil disobedience. But just because I don't agree with some of the laws doesn't mean that I think that the government as a whole is unlawful.

You were doing alright 'til you added this to your post.  This looks like a flimsy justification at best.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2010, 12:34:04 pm »

No, it helps. Like I said, the idea is to overwhelm the system with sheer volume of marijuana being smoked and trafficked. Sure, I don't mean much alone, but every bit counts.
If not handled well, it could be construed to requiring higher countermeasures, like mandatory sentences.
Perhaps rallies would be a good way to demonstrate the point. I'd doubt there'd be any violence in a cannabis rally.
(Here at Bay12 we takes concepts literally, for some reason.)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »

With segregation and any other form of discrimination in the U.S. there was a group of people that didn't think the government then in place was correct/following its own laws, therefore it was fine to openly disobey the government in the interest of change.  Matters like various kinds of prohibition don't violate the Constitution so directly, meaning less drastic routes should be taken.

Edit: For clarification, the first case is an attempt to change the definition of "The People", while the second case is kind-of sort-of a violation of the Tenth Amendment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:41:49 pm by Derekristow »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2010, 12:38:33 pm »

I'm not saying I smoke pot purely for political purposes, it's just an added bonus.

And protests don't mean much if they're not backed by reality. Alcohol prohibition didn't end because people were protesting against it, it ended because everyone was obtaining alcohol illegally which allowed organized crime to grow to ridiculous measures. In the end the government just had to face the reality and accept that legalized alcohol is the lesser "evil".

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2010, 12:41:12 pm »

What.

Reality is what ever the majority say it is, and if there are protests that is a good sign of a majority rising.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »

So you're speeding in protest of the speed limit until they remove it, is that it?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »

The majority says whatever the media say.

To go back to the segregation example, it didn't end because majority of Americans were against segregation to begin with, it was the civil disobedience of brave individuals that got the America to start thinking and realize things need to change.

I'm not pretending that marijuana is a big issue like segregation, don't get my wrong. But if people see that I'm not such a bad fellow even though I smoke pot, they may start thinking whether pot is as bad as the government paints it.

And yeah, speeding for sake of removing the speed limit is a good comparison, Nikov. Except most likely it won't catch on, and I'll just end up losing my license. But there's nothing wrong with that, some protests are just meant to fail.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:19 pm »

And yeah, speeding for sake of removing the speed limit is a good comparison, Nikov. Except most likely it won't catch on, and I'll just end up losing my license. But there's nothing wrong with that, some protests are just meant to fail.

Actually, yes, speeding for the sake of removing the speed limit is a really boneheaded comparison, because that's the sort of "protest" that actually endangers people.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12