Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13375 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2010, 07:36:29 pm »

Justice. We can always have order. Justice is too rare to pass up.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2010, 07:37:20 pm »

I chose that option that is not a poorly defined concept that could mean just about anything.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

Of course not. But if you only hold obeying the law as a convenience and not a moral duty, then what if you determine a law is immoral? What if you see a rich man and think only through greed and self-interest did that rich man take money from the community to line his pockets? Then you have a moral reason to take back what he stole, and if breaking the law doesn't violate your sense of morality, then its simply a question of how badly you want to punish the rich man for his wrongdoing compared to the chances you'll be punished for breaking an injust law.
This is where "dissuaded by punishments" come in.  You may go along with it, but you'd still think it's immoral.

Ever read the Communist Manifesto? Its an appeal to morality in the face of immoral law imposed by immoral government.
Is there a Godwin's Law equivalent for communism?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »

Dissuaded by punishment against an unjust law protecting an unjust faction? That boils over in revolutions, not elections. But being dissuaded from lawbreaking by a faith that you can change the law to punish the unjust? That is the basis of good government.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:12 pm »

Stoners
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »

Stoners
Goddamn stoners. Raaaaaaaeeeeeeeeg!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:23 pm »

Government is who ever has the most guns at one time, and laws are thing they tell you not to do or you'll get a gun'in.

I people call the gunners unjust and then themselves get lots of gun, then they become the Government and they do what they will.

Simple.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »

Dissuaded by punishment against an unjust law protecting an unjust faction? That boils over in revolutions, not elections. But being dissuaded from lawbreaking by a faith that you can change the law to punish the unjust? That is the basis of good government.
Yeah... that's basically what I said.  But that doesn't mean you have to morally support what the government is doing.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2010, 07:56:00 pm »

If guns make the government, then Costa Rica sure is confusing.  I guess nobody else there has much firepower either.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:09 pm »

Costa Rica maintains small forces capable of law enforcement and foreign peacekeeping

Guns.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:37:26 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:44 pm »

I never said you had to morally support what the government was doing, only that one should consider it morally wrong to break the laws created by a lawful government.

I really don't see what's so absurd about that.

Bauglir, I thought it a distinction worth making, and I think we've had a nice talk about this. I'm not sure why you think I'm being inflammatory.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »

Heh, you just said lawful in terms of entity's that create laws.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »

I never said you had to morally support what the government was doing, only that one should consider it morally wrong to break the laws created by a lawful government.

What constitutes an unlawful government?  If the government defines the law, then surely it's lawful by definition.

Ninja'd.  I think...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:05 pm »

Fair enough - I'll aknowledge that such a position is possible, even if it seems that in practise it doesn't happen so much if people think they can get away with it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12