Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13390 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:49 pm »

No, Prohibition was the culmination of the longstanding Temperance Movement in the U.S. It wasn't an overnight thing by any means.
I know that.  But it didn't suddenly make everyone who didn't agree with the Temperance Movement (which turned out to be quite a lot of people) suddenly think it was morally wrong.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2010, 06:40:30 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:36:15 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2010, 06:40:51 pm »

Unless said people thought it was morally wrong to break the laws of a lawfully elected government, then they did suddenly think it was morally wrong when it became illegal.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2010, 06:47:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:36:29 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »

It appeared, at least to me, that the temperance movement (and by extention Prohibition) were founded on moralism. The whole concept of alchohol bringing ruin to society, and that we could be a greater and more moral nation without, slowly gained popularity untill it could be passed as an amendment. Of course, this all fell apart when a criminal empire founded on illegal alchohol sprung up almost overnight.

Thus, there would be three "factions" of viewing Prohibition. Those who loved it because they thought it would make the nation better, those who loved it because they could make extreme amounts of money on the new alchohol black market, and those who hated it because they wanted a freaking drink. Only one of those would be founded on the view that drinking alchohol was wrong, although they very well may have been the largest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »

There was a book published recently about the history of the Prohibition movement - it was really a coalition of a lot of disparate movements.  For instance, the League of Women Voters and such, on top of largely believing in the morality of the issue, also saw signing onto the Prohibition train as a good path to political relevancy and respect.  It's not conniving or anything, but it's more complicated than just moralistic or material interest.

Unless said people thought it was morally wrong to break the laws of a lawfully elected government, then they did suddenly think it was morally wrong when it became illegal.

Yes, it would be hilarious if anyone really thought like that, wouldn't it?  My government, right or wrong, if they say it's the law, then moral it must be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »

It would be truely riotous to imagine that a man with property doesn't need to fear it being stolen by his fellow citizens because there is a law against it, or that his right to property be taken away through mob democracy. Rights and social contracts, what an antiquated notion.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »

It would be truely riotous to imagine that a man with property doesn't need to fear it being stolen by his fellow citizens because there is a law against it, or that his right to property be taken away through mob democracy. Rights and social contracts, what an antiquated notion.

So the law can provide protection.  That says nothing of the relationship between law and morality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »

Generally, people don't do those things. Most people agree stealing is wrong, and you won't have to worry about it unless you live in a high-crime area. He's not saying that no one follows the law, but that only the most naive of us honestly believe that the government always passes good laws, or constantly acts in the favor of the people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:58 pm »

I'd have to think that would be a tiny minority, unless there's some kind of evidence otherwise.  I mean
It would be truely riotous to imagine that a man with property doesn't need to fear it being stolen by his fellow citizens because there is a law against it, or that his right to property be taken away through mob democracy
Let's say the government decided that they would use mob democracy to take your property.  Would they be "right" in doing this?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:36:43 pm by Bauglir »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2010, 07:21:37 pm »

Quote from: Nikov
Not to be taken Literally.

Honestly, I was just responding to it because of the audacity of the statement.  I can see why he enjoys saying the blatantly outrageous.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »

Of course not. But if you only hold obeying the law as a convenience and not a moral duty, then what if you determine a law is immoral? What if you see a rich man and think only through greed and self-interest did that rich man take money from the community to line his pockets? Then you have a moral reason to take back what he stole, and if breaking the law doesn't violate your sense of morality, then its simply a question of how badly you want to punish the rich man for his wrongdoing compared to the chances you'll be punished for breaking an injust law.

Ever read the Communist Manifesto? Its an appeal to morality in the face of immoral law imposed by immoral government.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:14 pm »

I guess it becomes a question of which is more desirable:  order or justice.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

Order. Without it, you have only the mob.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12