Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13403 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »

I'll never understand why people do the tobacco thing. I mean, I understand why Natives used it as a medicinal plant, but I would never willingly put that crap in my body knowing what it does to people. That said, I should probably stop eating McDonalds and drinking Mountain Dew.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »

Well, just about any drug can be used for poison, medication or recreation. Tobacco is lucky enough to be both legal and harmless in the short term.

Also, I am somewhat horrified at the accuracy of my guess.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:34 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:47:10 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2010, 01:15:22 am »

Yes, data pirates are a problem.

This law, as it is, could bring many other problems that will make data pirates look like a joke.  For example, what is to stop them from claiming that ANYTHING has violated their copyright?  Do you think the law will put protections in place to prevent that?  Don't bet on it.  Before you know it, we'll be another China or North Korea.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2010, 07:39:25 am »

Yes, data pirates are a problem.

This law, as it is, could bring many other problems that will make data pirates look like a joke.  For example, what is to stop them from claiming that ANYTHING has violated their copyright?  Do you think the law will put protections in place to prevent that?  Don't bet on it.  Before you know it, we'll be another China or North Korea.

Why are you putting links to tvtropes articles in the middle/end of your sentences?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:11 am »

You should have linked that last one to People's Republic of Tyranny.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:05 am »

I like the part where he implies that China and North Korea are somehow interchangeable.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2010, 09:24:51 am »

I don't think anyone's brought this up, but copyright holders can already file litigation to shut down pirate sites. The problem with this bill is that it shifts the burden onto the justice department, who now effectively become free lawyers for the copyright holders. And I'm not necessarily sure I like that idea.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:14 am »

I don't think anyone's brought this up, but copyright holders can already file litigation to shut down pirate sites. The problem with this bill is that it shifts the burden onto the justice department, who now effectively become free lawyers for the copyright holders. And I'm not necessarily sure I like that idea.
A cease and desist letter is usually a letter threatening someone with a civil lawsuit, no? A lawsuit is something quite different from a direct order from the justice department ;)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2010, 10:46:20 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:48:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2010, 11:01:45 am »

Yeah, the burden of proof would now be on you, the subject of the order, to prove that you're not breaking the law; even then, the best you could hope for is that they let you return to operation, I suspect.

Hmm that sounds familiar... Oh right, the digital economy bill (and ACTA for that matter).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 11:37:57 am »

Guilty until proven innocent.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:01 am »

But... How are the American's going to get their free music if the censor is uploaded?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:44:23 am by Medicine Man »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 11:46:48 am »

I think we're seeing the same sort of unheaval in information with the internet that we had with the printing press, and trying to adapt laws written for a centuries-old dynamic for a modern one isn't the solution. Information businesses should start learning how to make money in spite of piracy. We're already seeing games manage this with pay-to-play subscriptions and microtransactions or registered online gaming servers. Perhaps music companies should recognize their music will be copied and distributed and focus on making money with concerts and merchandise, which can't be torrented.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:37 am »

I am hoping that this censor will just flop like the Australian censor did.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12