Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A thought about Dwarves.  (Read 913 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
A thought about Dwarves.
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:20:48 am »

This Idea came from a strategy game one of my friends made for our clan forum, his strat games are basicly giant crossovers, each person gets one side from one fictional universe. This time around for the heck of it I chose Dwarf Fortress dwarves as my side, another of my friends chose the Terrans from Starcraft. This got me to thinking, just how would the Terrans or any sci-fi human civillisation react to the dwarves? And how would the dwarves react to them? I imagine one of the dwarves stealing a tank and useing it to mine, hunt small animals, and kill elves, at the same time.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: A thought about Dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:36:01 am »

Wall themselves in, unbreach HFS, watch terran warfleet die to giant overpowered demons.

edit: While ghosts and spectres curl up in a ball in a corner and die.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:36:27 am »

Star Control-Dwarf Fortress Glitch Crossover Fanfiction.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62016.msg1416923#msg1416923
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »

Use a pressurized magma cannon to annihilate the terran army.
Then, steal their futuristic socks.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:11:57 pm »

I would imagine the dwarves would win.

Through sheer, determined stupidity.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »

Legendary markdwarves. With the rate at which marksdwarves train, you could easily get several hundred marksdwarves from all the dwarven mountain halls. And with the damage/penatrating power that crossbows have (currently), and the range they have, the only things they would have to worry about is the joys of orbital bombardment. Of course, being dwarves, they wouldn't care.

Else, either magma or HFS. Better yet, both at the same time.

Loreweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 02:54:26 am »

I don't know about other races, but personally?

I would be horrifically scarred and terrified to imagine a race that didn't so much mind being on fire.

"Urist Mandelstem is on fire."
"He rather doesn't mind."

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:02 pm »

Dwarves would take the most advanced technology in the world and make it remote controlled via a lever a mile away.  They would easily handle zerg by hooking a pet dog in a spiral shaped maze with traps along the inside, and thus would gain the respect of the terrans.  All alien tanks and troops would be vunerable to the ultra-strength cages of the dwarves and drawbridge atom smashers.  The dwarves only weakness would be psychic attacks that result in tantrum spirals or invisble lever-pulling sabatuers.  Any intellegent race would respect that the dwarves have mutually ensured their own destruction and the destruction of any other race by various world-flooding magma devices.  There is some danger of a misunderstanding when a race of creatures covered head to toe in blood-ichor-vomit-water and surviving solely one alchohol and kitten-meat starts hiding from the sun and trying to trade stone crafts and mechanisms for more booze and kitten meat.

I don't think the dwarves would touch a tank until after upgrading it with lever-controlled technology so simple that even a noble could operate it, and adamatine plating.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 09:10:59 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62544.msg1434872#msg1434872

Evidently the terrans are already enlisting dwarves.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.