Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mirrorbeards - The General's Mission (Story Fort - 31.12)  (Read 2164 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mirrorbeards - The General's Mission (Story Fort - 31.12)
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »

General's Log - 24th Opal, 265

Forty years. Four decades of my life in the service of our great nation. First as personal guard to Ushrir Dodokerar, our proud farmer-turned-king, and then as general of his youngest, Her Majesty Rith Sazirszum.

It was about time I got an important job.

Her Majesty has assigned me to oversee the military administration of The Boot of Sieges. This being a new outpost, it probably means active duty, which I haven't seen much of lately.

From what I've been told, we're embarking in the Steppe of Pungency, a blazingly hot tropical area. We have a brook in our territory, so water supply is accounted for. Finding ore may be a bit harder, since we have no mountain to hollow out. We'll also be surrounded on three sides by goblin forts. <Scribbled on margin: HELL YES.>

Before our departure, Her Majesty personally gave me a sealed envelope containing specific orders, which I am not to open until we arrive on the Steppe.

As our wagon left the mountainhome, I prayed to Armok for some horrible misfortune to fall on our future enemies.

General's Log - 1st Granite, 266
After over a month of driving hard under the winter sun, we have arrived at our future home. Even though Spring begun just hours ago, the sun is already threatening each and every dwarf with dehydration. Now to open the Queen's envelope and see what tasks have been layed out for me.

General Dakost,

As you are probably aware of by now, you are not on the Mirrorbeards wagon just to keep watch. As it stands, your new outpost is being founded in a very dangerous position. You will have goblins and the local wildlife to cope with. This is why you must build strong defenses. Below are your orders. I will be expecting you to write seasonal progress reports, which you will hand over to the liaison of our caravan each year.

ORDERS:

-You must build two large military towers;
-You must train a proper garrison;
-You must maintain a friendly trade relationship with the elves until further notice.

That will be all for now. Remember, I'm counting on you. Good luck, and Armok guide your axe.

Queen Rith Sazirszum

One thing bothers me. Why in the hell would we want to not slaughter the elven caravan? Oh well. Orders are orders.

Enclosed are the psychological profiles of the entire expedition, myself included.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was when I finally looked up and prepared to get us organized that I realized something.

All the trees are dead. The grass underfoot is little more than straw. The few surviving shrubs are pathetically small. All the murky pools are dry. Establishing a farming industry will take some more work than I thought. At least we have an ample supply of fuel and lumber.

Now the work begins. I climb to the top of the wagon and call everyone to assemble on my position. Below, the war dogs stare around in anxiety. Something about this place seems to bother them.

Yes, ladies and gentledwarfs, it is time for a story fortress. An interactive story fortress. There may be some savescumming along the way, if, for example, the general dies too soon, but otherwise, I'm hoping it will be organic. This is where you folks come in. I want journals, stories and the like for your dwarfs. Feel free to include megaproject ideas in these things, they may get added if I like them enough.

Don't expect 4 updates a day, though. For the most part, I'll be limiting myself to events worth mentioning, and an end-of-season general report that will include the autosave. I also have two horrible, horrible mistresses that conspire to pry me away from Dwarf Fortress for days at a time: the whores by the name of College and Social Life.

So, now that that's out of the way, who wants to be dorfed?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrorbeards - The General's Mission (Story Fort - 31.12)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:32:41 pm »

hmm, inturesting, I hope it turns out to be a nice read.   

as for dwarfing, since this would be my firs dwarf dwarfed, something unusual.    how about a cowardly miner?   only reason he is out here, is he offended some noble at home, and it was eather this, or be hammered.   really fears nobles because of this.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:34:43 pm »

I'll be the stonecrafter.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »

My brain is still colliding with the insides of skull as we speak, but here's an update. \o/

General's Log - 2nd Granite, 266

Initial operations are now under way. I've had the miners begin digging us an entrance tunnel, where we can finally get out from under this wretched sun before we dehydrate - or worse, all the booze evaporates. I'm using this time to chop us some lumber, see if I can build my strength back up to what it used to be. Everyone else is on hauling duty for the moment, getting our most important supplies out to the front of the entrance tunnel so we can dismantle the wagon.

Something feels wrong though. The wardogs remain restless, and during my rounds of woodcutting, I could swear I saw movement off in the distance. Looked like a herd of large animals, but they were pretty much completely white. It may be nothing important, but I've assigned each of us a wardog for protection, just in case. At around sunset, I gave everyone basic instructions on controlling the dogs. I'm hoping they won't do anything too stupid.

General's Log - 6th Granite, 266

Things are going slow but steady. The wagon is slowly emptying, we have a small underground area now, and I can feel my old strength coming back. Woodcutting is kind of fun. Like cutting goblins in half, but with less struggling. No blood, though.

The herds of white things are slowly getting closer. They spend most of their time just milling about, from what I can tell, but they get slightly closer by the day. Just to be safe, I've given specific instructions for everyone to run inside on my command.

This does beg the question, though: Why would a herd come to a place where everything is dead?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:47 am »

General's Log - 28th Granite, 266

The past two weeks have been uneventful. Peaceful. Boring, even. The white herds have moved away, though I have spotted a couple of lions off in the distance. As if it weren't enough that the only game worth hunting for here is dwarf, Ast Olinzikel, our farmer, assures me that those are males out there, and only females hunt. I'm starting to suspect interference, either from the goblins or the filthy tree-huggers.

One of our miners, Unib Unololtar, has been quite jittery as of late. I'd ask her what the problem is, but she spends most of her time down in the mining area, while I'm up here on patrol. As soon as she and Eral are down mining out some stone, we'll begin industrial activities. We need some goods to send back with the caravan, after all.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:25:40 am »

I would like to me a Male hammerdwarf if possible, and if possible one who worships Katthir.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:14:07 pm »

Sure thing. You'll have to wait until some migrants come though.

General's Log - 28th Slate, 266

Woodcutting would be a whole lot more fun if the damned trees would bleed. They don't even let out sap.

This last month has been so painfully boring I can't even describe it without falling asleep. At least we have finally put Shem, our craftsdwarf, to good use. We now have a small amount of trade goods ready. I've had the miners begin digging out an irrigation channel and farm area, while Ast (no, not the farmer, the carpenter) and Shem set up the machinery we'll need.

Oh, and one final piece of wonderful news. Mirrorbeards is now equipped with BEDS! BEDSBEDSBEDSBEDS - fuck, I'm bored.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:37 pm »

General's Log - 3rd Felsite, 266

While picking up some lumber from the outside stockpile, I noticed some monkeys swinging from the dead branches of the trees to the east. They looked very emaciated. It wasn't until later, when Ast called for me, that I understood why.

They were skeletal bonobos. All our activity had attracted their attention, and they made a beeline for the wagon.

Good thing there was a pack of hungry wardogs guarding it. Despite one wardog casualty and some form of injury on the rest of them, they pretty much chewed their way through the monkeys.

Guess they really love them bones, huh?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »

General's Log - 19th Felsite, 266

Today, I made my surface patrol rounds with a keg of ale. Therefore, what I write here may or may not have happened, depending on how empty the keg was.

I saw elephants.

In more sober news, the irrigation system should be done within a few weeks. Ast (the farmer) seems eager for the opportunity to stop lugging crap around and get planting.

Ach, why did there have to be two Asts? This is probably going to thoroughly mess up my seasonal report.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »

General's Log - Seasonal Report - Spring 266

This season was mostly uneventful. We dug our way underground, started making crafts and furniture, and prepared the farm area.

Progress is as follows:

Ground floor of both towers completed, towers currently serve as temporary lodging;
Farm area almost set up, should be ready to begin the farming industry in just a few days;
A majority of the supplies have been taken inside;
The trade Depot was completed;
Stockpile and Industry floors initiated.

Spoiler: Fortress wealth (click to show/hide)

Casualty Report:
Friendly:
-1 Wardog

Enemy:

Neutral:
-4 Skeletal Bonobos

Sorry it took so bleeding long, had a rough few days. Should have another update later today.

The first line of this post is the link to the autosave. Enjoy browsing what little I've accomplished so far. :D

Also, now that you have access to the insides of this thing, it would be a good time for those of you who have been dorfed to start writing diaries and stories and whatnot for your dwarf. I said interactive, and I meant interactive, dammit! I want action, drama, humor, horror, technical manuals even! You might just give me some pretty epic ideas. Now, get to it! :D

Also, currently dwarfed:
TerrisH: Unib Unololtar
Urist Imiknorris: Shem Ilulmelbil

To be dwarfed:
KaguroDraven (awaiting migrants)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »

Awesome, and on second thought I would like my dwarf to still be a hammerdwarf(or axe) who worships Katthir, but I would like weaponsmith to be a side skill, both for interesting diaries and so when he hits his mood he makes a weapon, AKA something that might actuilly be useful.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

TerrisH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »

Daiary of Unib,   20th Felsite, 266

Oh Doren, I should have never come out here.   I should have stayed back Vulcar.  should have faced the hammer.    anything would have been better then here.  at least the dead STAY dead.     or Packs of huge carnivorous Tusked beast roam about.     There you just had to worry about nobles and the occasional moody dwarf.   but here..  no guards.     just an ever deepening pit.  more nice safe rock to move about, deeper and deeper rooms away from the scary surface.

yes. nice happy thoughts. 

anyway, other then the real scary stuff that I'm trying to ignore and not write about..   well, stuff is going really well.   
Eral is a nice guy (I think he's a guy, anyways)  to work next to while mining.  though he could be a little less zealous about the General.       
Mosus is also a nice guy, though I don't see him as much with him working near the *shudder* surface.         often talk with him and Ast E.  at meal time.   he's always gripping about the lack of an office or something.   don't know why he doesn't just requisition one of the chairs and use it as an office.      he's supposed to me the leader of the civilian side of things.
The general himself, well, he seems okay to me, he did offer me this job and help be get away from those nobles.    but he seems to distance himself from the rest of us.   it might just be that most of us are civilians, nor military dwarfs like him.  or it might be something else.

anyway.   this have been a load off my shoulders.   need to get back to mining.    and some drink.   
   chao, Unib

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 04:44:28 pm »

General's Log - 18th Hematite, 266

Finally, it is complete. the irrigation chamber has been fully set up, the brook walls breached, and the lever pulled. Within a few hours, we should be able to flood the farm area.

When we went to inform Farmer Ast of this, he immediately stopped what he was doing - staring at the wardogs in the meeting room/dorm - and went off to do what will possibly be the last haul jobs he ever does.

Also, due to the sheer amount of murky pools present in our stockpile area, we don't have a whole lot of storage space. I spoke to Mosus about this, and he immediately issued the order to pave over the pool floor so we can use it later.

Personally, I'm thinking of plugging up those holes before an elephant lands in food pile.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »

General's Log - 28 Hematite, 266

The water in the farm area has dissipated enough to set up a farm plot. I've had the miners dig out a farm product storage area nearby.

One of them assured me he saw a fish among the rocks.

General's Log - 17 Malachite, 266

I am pleased to announce that the very first seed has been finally planted at Mirrorbeards! May it be the first of ma

General's Log - 18 Malachite, 266

By Armok's testicles, I can't believe it! We have migrants!

I called up Mosus to help me take note of their skills and psychological profiles, enclosed below.

Spoiler: Psychological Profiles (click to show/hide)

But just as I finished filing their profiles away, Farmer Ast came dashing in my direction, pale as elf bones, sweat dripping down his beard. He had discovered what the herd of white things was by virtue of narrowly avoiding death.

Skeletal fucking elephants.

Apparently, he took the surface route to the meeting hall and ran right into the herd. Fortunately, he managed to make a break for it before they saw him.

Good thing they didn't hurt the migrants. Now we can really get this outpost started.

Looks like you're getting your wish, Kaguro. Hope you don't mind being a she-dorf. :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:24:00 pm by Rhaken »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »

Sure, I can play a woman, sides with dwarves it doesn't seem like there is much differance to be honest. :D This means my person might end up carrying a brat into battle!
Also I'm just assumeing about the smelter/forge thing since I haven't had time to upload the save and I haven't seen it mentioned in here.

Diary of Kagura, House Draven 18 Malachite, 266

I have just arrived at this god's forsaken hell hole known as Mirrorbeards, and what is the first thing that greets me? Elephants made of bone! That walk around! Next thing you know we'll be getting elves with beards who aren't complete wimps! HAH! Still, I came here upon father's orders, old man wanted me to continue in his footsteps of being the only weaponsmith the military goes to. I'd rather be IN the military, though I suppose I can ask the general who runs the place, as far as I can tell anyway, if I can join the militia, when I'm not working anyway. I may want to be a fighter, but I've spent too long honeing my skills at working weapons to let it go to waste.

*scratched in hasteily* WHAT IN DOREN'S GREAT FLAMEING CAVERNS IS THIS! This place doesn't even have a proper forge or smelter up! I'm going to need to find someone about this and have it corrected, I can't forge perfection without metals or a forge for them!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:31:01 pm by KaguroDraven »
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: [1] 2 3