Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wow, I'm rich.  (Read 4448 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, I'm rich.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 08:15:44 pm »

Yeah, the thing is a little thrown off by the fact that exchange rates don't capture the fact that comparative prices vary from place to place.  Go to the third world and it's possible to eat quite well on dollars a day.  Eating on dollars a day in this country is hazardous to your health.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 08:28:29 pm »

I'm getting the feeling that this thing isn't exactly trying to be accurate, and is more of a "Please donate to the poor!" tool.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »

Well, I typed in my honest annual income per year.

I am the poorest person in the world.

Proof:

I am officially loaded.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:59:35 pm »

No matter how high the amount I type is, I can't get higher than position 107,565. It's probably rounding the percentage before multiplying it by Earth's population.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »

It caps out at 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999

Apparently 107,564 people have more then that.

Most likely Jewish masons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 11:48:43 pm »

Ok so the site is apperantly a false perspective site that alters its information in accordance to its own agenda.

Honestly this pisses me off everytime I see it. Can't people make a point against perceived wrongs without being liars at the same time?

Reminds me of the Anti-corperation video my Younger Sister made me watch. Honestly while some of the points were true the vast majority of it was stupidly incorrect, and I say stupidly as in the person attempted to appeal to the ignorant, or statements made to seem much more wicked then it really is... What was that? Corperations found ways to cut costs!?! wow that sure is sinister. Of course I could even go as far as to say the absolute worst part of the video overall is that there are a bunch of true things they could have spoke about but they either breeze past them or ignore them completely.

I have standards when it comes to my satires and this one fails!

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 12:24:07 am »

Ok so the site is apperantly a false perspective site that alters its information in accordance to its own agenda.

Honestly this pisses me off everytime I see it. Can't people make a point against perceived wrongs without being liars at the same time?

Reminds me of the Anti-corperation video my Younger Sister made me watch. Honestly while some of the points were true the vast majority of it was stupidly incorrect, and I say stupidly as in the person attempted to appeal to the ignorant, or statements made to seem much more wicked then it really is... What was that? Corperations found ways to cut costs!?! wow that sure is sinister. Of course I could even go as far as to say the absolute worst part of the video overall is that there are a bunch of true things they could have spoke about but they either breeze past them or ignore them completely.

I have standards when it comes to my satires and this one fails!

I don't actually see much a connection between this video and the site.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 12:32:04 am »

They both manipulate information (AKA Lying) in their own favors just so that their point is more impactful.

Worse yet by the fact that the information on how rich each person of the world is by averages is readily known.

The point to me doesn't justify the amount of misinformation used to make it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 12:39:30 am »

Worse yet by the fact that the information on how rich each person of the world is by averages is readily known.

whut?

Anyways, while its not too applicable to this website (too small scale, too little info. Seems more an ad money maker than anything), I understand the point you are trying to make. I dislike blatant manipulation attempts, regardless of whether I agree with what they are pushing forward. This is why I dislike Michael Moore and Penn and Teller.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 06:45:31 am »

I'll agree that I think they cut some corners making this site, but how is it an ad money maker if it has no ads?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »

This is a website that offers you statistics.

In today's world, Statistics=Lies.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 02:10:08 pm »

Yeah, the thing is a little thrown off by the fact that exchange rates don't capture the fact that comparative prices vary from place to place.  Go to the third world and it's possible to eat quite well on dollars a day.  Eating on dollars a day in this country is hazardous to your health.

The site itself does take that into account when you click the button to donate, though; it pretty explicitly mentions how far your money can go in the third world.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

My allowance from my parents puts me in the top %25.  :o
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »

I'd say it's because they're not expecting people to put in super low values.  They probably just got a calculator that gives you roughly the right answer if you key in normal income levels, then left it at that.

And the goal isn't really sinister, it's just to try and get people to donate money.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

Of course, the text is mostly static, so even if you're in the bottom 10% somehow, it talks to you as if you're rich.
Pages: 1 [2] 3