Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmills  (Read 808 times)

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windmills
« on: October 01, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

Ok so i got a pretty big pump stack construct in my fortress (+15) And now i want to connect it up to a windmill.
 Two questions:
1. How do i do this? Do i just put the middle part of the windmill on top of the pump section and then it will connect? (light green right?)

2. Will this work for all of the pumps if i just connect the top one to the windmill? If not then how can i connect the bottom first pump to it in the least painful way.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windmills
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:11:53 pm »

It will work. However, you might need more windmills - try to put a gear assembly right above your uppermost pump stack, and then connect several mills to the assembly via axles.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »

First I would like to note that this is the wrong forum.

Second I would like to give you your answers:

1: Yes, the middle part provides power to whatever is underneath it. Connecting it directly will make sure you are unable to deactivate the pumps, though, so take care with doing that.

2: Machinery stacked upon each other will transfer power nicely, so there will be no problems there.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

BrakArg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 03:19:56 pm »

You will want to have the walkable section of the screw pump in a floor, and the unwalkable zone above a pump.

Connect all windmills to the top pump and make sure you have at least a gear assembly that can be deactivated withouth something collapsing and your done.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:18:55 pm »

Gear assemblies draw power in a 6-tile cube(Minus diagonals), so you can have approx. 8 windmills.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »

Gear assemblies draw power in a 6-tile cube(Minus diagonals), so you can have approx. 8 windmills.
not true, windmil must be on the gear (the middle of the windmil is on the gear) to put power on it, maybe if you put one below it migth work too but i am not sure on that so what you should do is something like that:
Code: [Select]
z level of gear:

G==G==G==G
  |  |
  |  |
  G  G

z+1
mmmmmmmmmmmm
mMmmMmmMmmMm
mmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmm
mMmmMm
mmmmmm

with:
mmm
mMm   whindmill with middle M
mmm

G gear

|=  axe
the quantity of windmill needed depends on how much energy they produce.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime