Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skaven!  (Read 2899 times)

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skaven!
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »

Well, let's part with gunpowder for some time.

I have certain idea of underground keeps. You know, when you mine out huge pillar, place here barracks with garrison and magma-throwers and ballistas and traps and such, well such a keep can be quite epic.

But every fortress needs an enemy and caveman tribes are definitely NOT a decent enemy, with their wooden weapons.
So i could mod in ratfolk akin to skaven, with rat-ogres and hell-pit abominations and jezzails and pestilence-monks(praise the syndromes, yea) and general awesomeness which would make underground much more dangerous place, but here arises questions about raws:
First- which part of raws count for [LAYER_LINKED] entries? Can they have ethics and art or build tunnels?
"*** ethics copied from kobolds for now"- that's not so informative, yea.
Second- how do underground entries hold sites and territories and migrate? Is this even possible to have hostile tribe that bring sieges from map borders? I've got tribe of antman only once and they were basically just hanging around in my fortress basement. Can we overflow underground with ratman if they breed fast and can put decent enough fight?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:54:33 am by nogibator »
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Gunpowder and millstone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »

You can't add custom reactions to quern and millstone, I'm afraid.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »

why you think so? custom reactions work for kitchen, for example.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »

Because only certain buildings accept custom reactions, and those buildings happen to be the [magma] smelter, [magma] kiln, kitchen, tanner's shop, and all custom workshops.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »

well, shit. can i at least specify that building need to be powered? or, as last resort, be build on magma?

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:59 pm »

You can't require a building to be powered. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can't make the reaction differentiate between a regular workshop and a magma one unless you use a custom workshop that itself requires magma (use [NEEDS_MAGMA] tag as part of the building definition). One thing I did with a custom workshop was require a quern to construct it, so you could consider using a quern or millstone as a building material. (If you want the player to be able to use either one, you need two separate workshops. Thankfully you don't need two separate reactions, though; just add another BUILDING tag so both are covered.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:54:07 pm by Dvalinn »

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »

also there is a bug with powders as it stands, you cant use gunpoweder unless you make bars of it or something, i have myself a gunpowder mod with thunderblusses and tested long and wide with various reactions
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:52:25 am »

also there is a bug with powders as it stands, you cant use gunpoweder unless you make bars of it or something, i have myself a gunpowder mod with thunderblusses and tested long and wide with various reactions
Yea, thanks, i've looked at your raws. Have you handled bone and wooden bullets at craftsdwarf workshop?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Skaven!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 04:58:10 am »

Yes-yes, manling, you play right into our paw-hands...

Ahem. I mean, this is a good-great idea, oh nogibator! Create it post-haste!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:32 am »

Yes-yes, manling, you play right into our paw-hands...

Ahem. I mean, this is a good-great idea, oh nogibator! Create it post-haste!
I just need to know how underground sieges work, cause few ratogres and "skaven pump operator" camping in your basement don't make much sense. Heck, any sense.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 06:26:48 am »

Also, what tag defines usage of poisons by civilization?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 06:40:17 am »

There's no "usage of poisons" yet.

I have ratmen in Genesis... But they are still old good DF ratmen (which were removed for some reason, I don't get why). Expanding them in WH "Skaven" direction may be cool. Thanks for the idea :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:48:16 am »

There's no "usage of poisons" yet.

I have ratmen in Genesis... But they are still old good DF ratmen (which were removed for some reason, I don't get why). Expanding them in WH "Skaven" direction may be cool. Thanks for the idea :).
ok.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:01:24 am by nogibator »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 10:22:37 am »

As excellent an idea this is, I'd love to help with it.

However. Perhaps you should wait for Toady to finish underground civs, first, so that you can make them as awesome as possible.

Otherwise, just make a civ who's biome is subterranean and they siege... that should do it, right?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 10:37:57 am »

As excellent an idea this is, I'd love to help with it.

However. Perhaps you should wait for Toady to finish underground civs, first, so that you can make them as awesome as possible.

Otherwise, just make a civ who's biome is subterranean and they siege... that should do it, right?
Can aboveground civ have subterranian biome? Aalso i doubt that aboveground civ will be sieging from cavern system. Yea, there are tunnels, but.
Pages: [1] 2