Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 38a: maps spawning more prime fort spots?  (Read 902 times)

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
38a: maps spawning more prime fort spots?
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

I've only created one map so far, but looking at it with the regional prospector, it seems to have more prime locations for forts.  I'm finding quite a few 5x5 or smaller areas with most everything in them - adamantine, water, magma, a chasm.  Some have sand as well.

I may have just chosen a good seed this first time, and there don't seem to be any spots on this map with totally everything in them, but it does seem that there are a lot more good locations now.

Did I just get a good seed Toady?

Also,  I'm seeing that squares which show as sand in the 2nd zoom level when choosing a fort, even if they have mountains in them, never seem to have adamantine, chasms, or underground rivers, even if a lot of the land in the local view is mountains.  I don't know if this is a continuation from previous versions, but I thought it was interesting.

I'm going to create another spawn now, to see if these ideas jive with more maps than this one.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Old School Gamer ]

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: 38a: maps spawning more prime fort spots?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

One map isn't of statistical significance.  :p

As far as I am aware, the world generation changes only occur during history, so after the actual geography of the world is "set in stone".
(sorry about the pun)

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Old School Gamer:
<STRONG>I've only created one map so far, but looking at it with the regional prospector . . .</STRONG>

Er, how'd you get regional prospector to work with 38a? Mine coughs up an error...

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

ive made about 10 worlds so far... extreme amounts of magma vents
een failing lately?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RP:
<STRONG>

Er, how'd you get regional prospector to work with 38a? Mine coughs up an error...</STRONG>

Use the one from the utilities page, not one of the betas.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

I see, thanks (was trying beta 3).

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

Too bad that reveal.exe is not working yet!

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:10:00 am »

Sorry for teh bump, but what seed are you using, and where in the world was this fort location?

I've seeded a LOT of worlds and gotten nothing useful  :(

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

65319740 - Seed

This seed has some very interesting mountain ranges with a variety of mirthfulness and horribleness and sereneness spattered about.  There's also a couple pretty good spots right next to goblin fortresses, with adamantine right there, but I haven't found one with magma yet.

I'm thinking I'll play this one when the army arc is finished if another one doesn't strike my fancy before then. The civs are placed interestingly for an army campaign.

Here is the location I'm playing now:

There's black sand in the upper right corner, obsidian, coke for steelmaking, hematite and another iron ore;  it's got everything I needed, but I wish it were smaller than 5x5.

harpies and beak dogs have shown up in the first season;  there's an iron man in the pit.  I haven't found the underground river yet, despite lots of full depth stairwells.

My hunter got torn apart by 3 beak dogs early on;  his head flew a good distance.

Somehow, this song keeps starting to play when I'm playing DF;  it's lyrics are "arms legs everywhere, arms legs everywhere, arms legs everywheeeere..."  It fits DF in some macabre sort of way.

edit: found the underground river; it has about 3.5 pages of olmmen, frogmen, mudmen, lizardmen, and snakemen in it.  It's going to be interesting trying to tap it.  I'm thinking I'll put in a wall grate, maybe channel out the square to tap the water after that.  Hopefully 50 water creatures don't come trampling into my fortress at that point.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Old School Gamer ]

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.