Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scariest Biome  (Read 2525 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scariest Biome
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:29:25 am »

So, what kind of Terrifying do YOU like to embark on, when you're in the mood for scary? I personally enjoy werewolves, but I usually end up with like, undead deer and crap, for some reason.

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest Biome
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:39 am »

Undead crap sounds fucking scary.  :'(

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:16:36 am »

Terrifying ocean.

Undead great white sharks (and whales!) that can walk on land.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:52 am »

Terrifying ocean.

I kept trying and trying, and I couldn't find a terrifying ocean that actually had undead in it. It was very dissapointing.

I'm now playing for the first time on a Terrifying embark with undead. Scorching Tropical Shrubland with two rivers and a waterfall. Skeletal Giant Cats, Skeletal Elephants, Skeletal Hippos, Skeletal Alligators, and Skeletal Carp... lots of fun. When I first embarked, there were 2 pages of undead on the map. Lucky for me I was up on a huge cornered off area in the armpit of the two rivers, so I set my military dwarf to defend the burrows while I walled off the corner. It took me three tries to get the wall done before some skeletal elephant or crocodile killed my dwarf, but I've finally started up the fortress successfully once, and aside from the constant cancellation spam from skeletal carp at the bottom of the river canyon whenever anyone goes outside I have to say it is pretty awesome.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:24 am »

Ocean + Desert. Constant zombie fishies to scare you away from the beach, and the occasional giant scorpion to make the desert unsafe as well.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:40 am »

I like zombie elephants because if you can beat them they train your military up in skills pretty fast but for some reason zombie deer are the things that really creep me out.

One time a zombie deer killed my military commander and then just hung around the corpse.  The commander had a pet dog.  After almost a month, the dog traveled across the map to fight the zombie that had killed its master.  The fight lasted a long time but in the end the zombie deer won.  Then it just stood there staring out with its hollow eyes , waiting for someone to come and try to recover the fallen dwarf and dog.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:09:24 am by Jaxicat »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »

My first attempt at an evil biome was a sinister woodland. Immediately upon breaching the caverns a shambling horde of zombie troglodytes tried to get in. Both woodcutters and both miners got their draft notice, and cleaned the place out.

What really gets me though, is zombie deer. I appreciate the constant combat experience for my soldiers, and it's something to do while waiting for mining do be dug out, but... Something about an empty-eyed chunk of rotten meat shambling slowly toward your gate, making no noise except for the shuffling of one meat-stripped leg dragging behind it is unsettling. And they never stop. There's a constant stream of silent, expectant rot marching into my axemen.

*chop* *thud*
*chop* *thud*
*chop* *thud*
*chop* *thud*
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »

Terrifying ocean.

That's pretty hard to beat, yeah.  I had thought undead elephants were as bad as it could get but I don't play on oceans (maybe I should give that a try).

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

Terrifying desert.
Dig into a single cavern(World param.) to find skeletal trolls and a skeletal blind cave bear.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:51:43 pm »

I always try and find the mix between harpies, orges and zombie wildlife, harpies harass everyone outside and kill off all the dogs, ogres break down your doors and buildings and zombies come in to feast on the corpses.
Nom nom nom

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »

Terrifying ocean.

I've decided to man up (or dwarf up, I suppose) and gen a world with the Fortress Defense mod and look for such an area - I came up with a large ocean that spans a lot of the Y range of the map (hot to cold) that is solid Terrifying.  I'd post it to the cookbook thread but since it's based around a mod I don't think that's appropriate.  Thanks for the idea :)

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »

I think I want to try a terrifying ocean too the next time I have some time to play.   

I started playing in terrifying biomes as part of a plan to try to get my dwarves to have the bad moods for artifacts but what ended up happening was that either everyone would die or I would end up with super-strong hardened individuals.   Now I get bored if I play somewhere with just regular wildlife.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:46 pm »

Be warned, the waves really take a lot of overhead on a larger map, 6x6 very quickly went to 50ish FPS with only 20 dwarves and not much digging done.

update: zombie swordfish!   :-\
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:58:25 pm by FleshForge »

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:44 pm »

Zombies just don't seem as challenging in the new version...it seems that, for me at least, even an untrained dwarf can punch them to death in a few hits.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 12:23:48 am »

It's because they now use a hit points system rather than having to be decapititated or split in half. They used to be nigh-invincible not that long ago.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: [1] 2