Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Escape to continue  (Read 1161 times)

hurleybird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Escape to continue
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:18:08 am »

Just downloaded the game, I got all up to the point with the "welcome to the alpha of dwarf fortress" message pops up, and says "press escape to continue. I press escape. Nothing happens. If I mash every key on the keyboard I eventually get to the "moving records" screen, so it's not frozen. Weird.

hurleybird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Escape to continue
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:20:15 am »

And no, my escape key works fine. ALT-escape still work swimmingly for minimizing windows.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:23:14 am »

Press enter. That works for me.

hurleybird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:25:48 am »

Negative. Enter will get me out of the "about DF" screen (although escape will not). Enter will not get me out of the "welcome to the alpha of DF" screen.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:09:45 am »

That's really weird...

hurleybird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:15:46 am »

On screen keyboard also does not work.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:13 am »

It takes a while on some systems. Don't worry too much.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

hurleybird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:45:16 am »

I have a Core I7 clocked at 3.8GHz. And escape isn't working to get out of the "about DF" page. And I've waited quite awhile.

EDIT: ...and it just started working after I closed everything else I had open. Very odd.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:46:47 am by hurleybird »

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:02:25 am »

I have a Core I7 clocked at 3.8GHz. And escape isn't working to get out of the "about DF" page. And I've waited quite awhile.

EDIT: ...and it just started working after I closed everything else I had open. Very odd.

This is where someone who knows something about computers (not me) quotes the oft-repeated fact about DF being single-threaded or something.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »

An I7 is still a very awesome processor, even if you only use one of the 4.

BrakArg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:16:11 pm »

Maybe the key config is different.

Try changing the interface.txt in the init folder of your game with the original df's one.

you started talking about cpus.

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

This is more of a guess than anything else but have you tried fiddling with your print mode? What you say you've experienced sounds like it could be the screen occasionally not updating correctly. If so, it could look like the game sometimes ignores your input.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 02:40:15 am »

My suspicion is that he has a non-US Keyboard.
!!&!!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 02:56:04 am »

The OP mentions "very odd" that it works now that he/she has closed off all the other programs that are running. If any of them are RAM intensive, then this could well explain what is happening, and while it feels like it isn't accepting your input, it probably did and is slowly loading(due to having all your other processes fighting for RAM). Maybe there should be a load bar or spinning load /,|,\ altinating thing so that some people arnt like "OMG, stupid game *bash face against hard surface*"
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad