Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fixing Dwarf Fortress Raw Errors  (Read 5993 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Dwarf Fortress Raw Errors
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

I swore when I was playing around with the Dungeon Master by letting him be directly appointed that he could tame exotics.  Can anyone verify?

I've never gotten a Dungeon Master due to the bugginess, but I do recall that many post about the DM complain that he lacked that ability.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 01:32:22 am »

Speaking of animals and tissues, has anyone been able to figure out why dogs seem to provide more food than cows?
Well, the description for dogs lists them as "very large" ... perhaps the cows are "very small"? You know ... dwarf cows! :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 01:34:02 am »

I know you're mostly joking, but no, it doesn't. It lists them as "medium-sized highly social mammalian carnivore[s]".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 07:45:32 am »

I swore when I was playing around with the Dungeon Master by letting him be directly appointed that he could tame exotics.  Can anyone verify?
The Genesis mod lets you appoint a DM immediately, but I can't remember if that makes taming possible - I tend to work off hunters more than cage traps nowadays.
くコ:彡

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 07:55:41 am »

I know you're mostly joking, but no, it doesn't. It lists them as "medium-sized highly social mammalian carnivore[s]".

I think the point the previous poster was making was that animals described as "large" or "gigantic" (as in terms of physical attributes) may end up giving out more meat than ones that aren't described as such, independent of supposed body size. But I can't really see why that'd be the case.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:35 am »

That's impossible, such appointment doesn't trigger the ability to tame exotic pets. It's a script which should work whenever DM comes which is broken.
We can fix two things here.

The first is allowing a Dungeon Master to actually exist in a real fort. That at least returns some lost flavor to the game.

The second is to remove exoticness from animals, allowing them to be tamed anyway. This returns the functionality lost by the bug.
I use both methods in Genesis.

There are issues like these: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2676

Basically, the thermal damage/phase transition properties of some/most body tissues are out of whack. That's why fat melts off of people so damn easily before heat/fire affects them in any other way.

HEATDAM_POINTs and COLDDAM_POINTs should be more realistic, e.g. lower HEATDAM_POINTS. For instance, skin only starts to take cold damage at -68°F. That's really damn cold, and frostbite sets in much quicker than that. And muscle tissue in the real world starts seeing problems long before 10250 degrees Urist, which is 282°F.

What I've got so far is that fat should melt around 140°F (or perhaps much higher) instead of 110°F, which is a really naive estimate, as stated in my bug report. It (and other body tissue type materials) should also take damage from heat and cold at more reasonable points, say around 110°F for heat in most cases, and something around the melting point of water for cold. I'm honestly not sure about the rest, since there's medical knowledge involved I'm not very familiar with.

Speaking of animals and tissues, has anyone been able to figure out why dogs seem to provide more food than cows?
That's a good point. I've never looked at heatdam points of standard tissues (because I thought that Toady made them wrong or I just didn't think about that). I will definitely work on this.

The Genesis mod lets you appoint a DM immediately, but I can't remember if that makes taming possible - I tend to work off hunters more than cage traps nowadays.
Yeah I removed all exotics and now they are just pets. It's fun, and currently PET_EXOTIC is the same as no PET token at all.

Maybe it's a fix for a new version. A few subversions ago I tried and it didn't work, so I just replaced exotics with pets. And with an appointed manually DM it's just a question of micromanagement anyway.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »

I think the point the previous poster was making was that animals described as "large" or "gigantic" (as in terms of physical attributes) may end up giving out more meat than ones that aren't described as such, independent of supposed body size. But I can't really see why that'd be the case.

Going by the wiki, dogs give out 13 meat and 13 fat (do they not vary in size or something?), whereas cows give 10-14 meat and 9 fat.

I think one issue here is that, in all likelihood, most/all animals use the same tissue/bodypart proportions. In other words, a cow's torso likely has the same proportion of meat/fat/bone/etc that a dog's torso does, and for that matter, might even be relatively the same size compared to the rest of the creature. I'm not sure. However, if this is the case, the discrepancy makes even less sense, since cows are larger than dogs.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 10:57:38 pm »

So based on the dev log, it looks like some raw errors will be fixed in the next version!

I use both methods in Genesis.

I have also tested these methods myself in my personal mods.

I'm thinking that various fixes could be compiled into a single mod made to fix but not substantially alter the vanilla version.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]