Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fixing Dwarf Fortress Raw Errors  (Read 5987 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Fixing Dwarf Fortress Raw Errors
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »

I think the modding community could collaborate to help Toady with the bug-fixes of Dwarf Fortress.

There are quite a few problems in the raws that could be solved simply by modding.

For example, some subterranean creatures (ex. antmen) have life spans that kill them before they mature. Skulls don't seem to use the bone material. Weapons like whips are more like lightsabers. Dukes only come if you know how to manipulate the liaison. Horses still live forever. I'm sure there are many other problems I don't know of.

Maybe a Dwarf Fortress Raw-fix mod should be created? We could compile the many problems in the raws at the moment, and come up with a mod that resolves them. Then, we could submit the results to Toady, or he could see what we've done, and immediately incorporate the changes he agrees with into the next version.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Dwarf Fortress Raw Errors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »

Horses living forever is for the benefit of trade, as the animals might die of old age otherwise.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:05:14 am »

I don't think the baron issue can be fixed with the raws. I like the idea, though.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:04:39 am »

I remember there being another topic like this shortly after the 0.31.1 release. I wholeheartedly support this idea.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:44:50 am »

I don't think the baron issue can be fixed with the raws. I like the idea, though.

I think it actually can.

Instead of having the Baron be a landholder, it could simply be a noble triggered by population or appointed by the Mayor; after all, the Baron will be appointed by the player no matter what game mechanic is used. Thus, the player could experience the Baron, and even other buggy noble positions like the Dungeon Master without needing to rely on the buggy landholder reqs/king message etc.

EDIT: also, what is really needed is a list of raw-related errors and bugs, so that the mod can be relatively comprehensive.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:47:51 am by darkflagrance »

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:25 am »

I don't think all of the raw-related bugs are fixable, not without some extra support. For example, mules have no female caste, and they can't be born either (neither can the other hybrids like hinnies, zonkeys, zorses, zonies, ligers, tiglons, camas or wolf-dogs (not a true hybrid, I know)); if you added female mules, they would suddenly be able to breed with each other. Cows (and several related species) have a single stomach instead of four of them, birds lack the crop. female mammals lack the mammary glands and their corresponding organs (udders and so on) and even if you added them, loss of them wouldn't make a difference for milk production. All animals lack their respective primary reproductive organs, and again adding them doesn't change the way reproduction works either, so for example gelding can't be implemented.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:58:32 am »

Magma crabs don't appear.
Neither do helmet snakes.
It's easily fixed, though, with a [LARGE_ROAMING] tag([NOBREATHE] for Magma crabs)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:17 am »

Spoiler: Not quite errors (click to show/hide)

A lot of the bugs on the tracker with the Probable Quick Fix tag are raw file errors that such a mod could solve (and a few without it). I'm not quite sure whether it would actually help Toady to fix the raws better than simply telling him where there errors are and how to fix them, though. That's how the first thread of this type worked out.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 07:50:51 am »

Blind cave bears have two sets of front toes and no sets of rear toes.  (that is, their BODY lists 5TOES_FQ:5TOES_FQ instead of 5TOES_FQ:5TOES_RQ)

It's a minor issues that you actually have to go out of your way to even notice, but it actually caused a minor problem with a mod I created.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

I think it actually can.

Instead of having the Baron be a landholder, it could simply be a noble triggered by population or appointed by the Mayor; after all, the Baron will be appointed by the player no matter what game mechanic is used. Thus, the player could experience the Baron, and even other buggy noble positions like the Dungeon Master without needing to rely on the buggy landholder reqs/king message etc.

EDIT: also, what is really needed is a list of raw-related errors and bugs, so that the mod can be relatively comprehensive.
That's impossible, such appointment doesn't trigger the ability to tame exotic pets. It's a script which should work whenever DM comes which is broken.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:22 pm »

EDIT: Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:07:14 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 08:10:01 pm »

Someone on the forums mentioned recently that they got wagons partially working by adding the [PET] tag or something similar to them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »

There are issues like these: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2676

Basically, the thermal damage/phase transition properties of some/most body tissues are out of whack. That's why fat melts off of people so damn easily before heat/fire affects them in any other way.

HEATDAM_POINTs and COLDDAM_POINTs should be more realistic, e.g. lower HEATDAM_POINTS. For instance, skin only starts to take cold damage at -68°F. That's really damn cold, and frostbite sets in much quicker than that. And muscle tissue in the real world starts seeing problems long before 10250 degrees Urist, which is 282°F.

What I've got so far is that fat should melt around 140°F (or perhaps much higher) instead of 110°F, which is a really naive estimate, as stated in my bug report. It (and other body tissue type materials) should also take damage from heat and cold at more reasonable points, say around 110°F for heat in most cases, and something around the melting point of water for cold. I'm honestly not sure about the rest, since there's medical knowledge involved I'm not very familiar with.

Speaking of animals and tissues, has anyone been able to figure out why dogs seem to provide more food than cows?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:28:21 pm »

That's impossible, such appointment doesn't trigger the ability to tame exotic pets. It's a script which should work whenever DM comes which is broken.

We can fix two things here.

The first is allowing a Dungeon Master to actually exist in a real fort. That at least returns some lost flavor to the game.

The second is to remove exoticness from animals, allowing them to be tamed anyway. This returns the functionality lost by the bug.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:00 pm »

I swore when I was playing around with the Dungeon Master by letting him be directly appointed that he could tame exotics.  Can anyone verify?
Pages: [1] 2