Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Zaerosz's Flavour Mod v. 1.6 - Introducing Alchemy! (0.31.18)  (Read 12669 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Zaerosz's Flavour Mod v. 1.6 - Introducing Alchemy! (0.31.18)
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:38 pm »

Click to download (0.31.18)

Playtesting position available!

Contents:
    • The Bandit race trade in winter, and can bring plants and animals found only in evil regions, such as sliver barbs and ice wolves!^
    • The Dusk Elf race is active in summer, and use both good and evil plants, animals and trees. They are also less bitchy than normal elves, and are the only race capable of extracting the essence of the Yggdrasil.
    • The Centaurs are...well, Centaurs. Elfy, big and dangerous.
    • The Anubites are jackal-headed humanoids that live in the desert. Currently more or less identical to goblins.
    • Many new weapons, including the falchion, broadsword and claymore!#
    • Many new metals - including cobalt, wolfram, black wolfram and three other special ones.
    • Many new plants - open up HFS for a bonus prize!*
    • Many new buildings - including the Gem Workshop, ARC Smelter (Advanced Resource Collection) and ATD Foundry (Advanced Tool Design)! Extract aluminum from bauxite, process cobalt ores and turn anthracite into coal at the ARC, polish stones into gems at the Gem Workshop, and cast metal querns, anvils and beds at the ATD!
    • Many new minerals - strandsilver, ironstone, anthracite, luminite, cold fire and more! Make cobalt at the ARC Smelter with skutterudite and erythrite, and weave strandsilver into wonderful clothes@! Anthracite and skutterudite are also the only metamorphic sources of coal and iron, respectively.
    • NEW IN 1.6: The Alchemy Workshop lets you extract the essences of cold%, heat, nature, earth, air and spirit, and work miracles like turning lead to gold!
    • Make soap from plants! (The original soap reaction is now "Make soap from fat".)
    • Excavate fossils - six different types to find!
    • The Display Case lets you put your artifacts on show!

User submissions:

Jake: Ironstone
    MaximumZero: The contents of the item_weapon_zmod file, wolfram, black wolfram, hepatizon, orichalcum, elysian steel, (sort of) tartarian steel.
    Clover Magic: Anything in any file that begins with "creature" and ends with "zmod" (except bandits).

Credits:
    • Cobalt material borrowed from Deon's Genesis Mod
    • Thanks to Deon, fivex and Igfig for helping with the soap reactions
    • Thanks to Bohandas for the fossils
    • Thanks to Hans Lemurson for the ARC Smelter idea
    • Thanks to Vehudur for the anthracite idea
    • Thanks to Urist Imiknorris for bringing a bug in the Hepatizon reaction to my attention.
    • Thanks to fivex for identifying several bugs.
    • Thanks to Clover Magic for figuring out one of the issues with strandsilver.

Notes:
    ^: Note that they may not actually bring many evil-biome animals, as most cannot be tamed.
    @: Not actually possible - for some bizarre reason, any attempts at this are met with "Urist McDorf cancels Make strandsilver (object): Needs X strandsilver bars." Please help me.
    #: Most of these weapons may be too large for dwarves to use.
    *: Bonus prize may not actually exist - I don't know if it grows in the circus, and I'm too much of a wimp to go find out.
    %: Cold essence isn't actually used for anything yet.
    A fair bit of this mod hinges on the assumption that nobody bothers to make toys, so please stick to this assumption.

Next release:
    • ???

Any feedback, tweaks and suggestions are welcome.[/list]
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:23:05 am by Zaerosz »
    くコ:彡

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Zaerosz's Flavour Mod v. 1.0 - Accepting Contributions! (0.31.14)
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »

...any feedback yet? I know people have downloaded.

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »

Looks interesting, but could you separate the new stuff from the default RAW files (as far as is possible)? I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer modded things to be in their own .txt files when possible. I noticed fossils are labeled as gems; does this lead to jewelers cutting them or embedding them in furniture, etc.?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:01 pm »

As far as I've been able to tell, yes it does - I didn't code the fossils, Bohandas did, but it seems to work, at least. Just think of the cutting as chipping away all the rock covering the fossils and cleaning them.

And the new stuff will be separated in the next release.
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:18:12 pm by Zaerosz »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 01:43:04 am »

Well, I will let you know if there are any prizes in the HFS ;D

Hmmm...the only prize I have seen is special ones...and one of your fossils freaked me out ;D
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:58:57 am by Xenos »
    This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
    That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
    [DWARFINEERING]

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:06:17 am »

By "special ones", I assume you mean the red metal? If you're going to make weapons out of it, make hammers. It's frickin' heavy.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:13:56 am »

which red one?  cherry cotton candy? 

Hmmm...where would you find the no-name brand cotton candy?  both blue-raspberry and cherry.

Also, I would switch the names on blue-raspberry and cherry cotton candy if i were you...it seems to fit better imo
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:40:31 am by Xenos »
    That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
    [DWARFINEERING]

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 02:58:57 am »

Yes, cherry cotton candy. You're not guaranteed to have both on any given map, but if you're lucky you can find some sample packs scattered around the deeper layers. I think the blue samples tend towards slate layers, but I may be mistaken. I can't remember where the red ones show up most.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 03:13:08 am »

ah okay.  I do not believe my map has any sample packs, but I did have one blue cotton candy stand and several cherry stands.  however, I accidentally flooded the stand with some hot caramel so i cannot get  to most of my blue raspberry cotton candy.  I will need to get that caramel cooled off first.  ;D

Also, what are the differences in cotton candy?  both between cherry and blue-raspberry and between their sampler packs?

and what is the bonus prize?  I havent recieved my bonus prize for going to the circus yet...
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:18:03 am by Xenos »
    [DWARFINEERING]

fivex

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 03:29:56 am »

Weirdly, I had no sampler cherry cotton candy on my first time looking around(using dfreveal and dfprospector). Not even a single tile. I a a load of sampler blueberry. I guess that makes up for having only one of the veins being blueberry.
    My second time was a 4th of a embark tile, trying to check out something about a curious structure.
    I can confirm that there will be cherry *Upright spoilers*
    Looking at the raws, there will apparently be sampler pack upright spoilers, which I suggest you change.
    Also unpausing gave me 4 fps after the clowns spawned
    and what is the bonus prize?  I havent recieved my bonus prize for going to the circus yet...
    I dont think it will grow in the circus, since it isn't muddy.
    It will grow in places underground plants can grow when you go to the surface. I think.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:32 am »

is it possible to mod the circus so that spills will occur there? 
    [DWARFINEERING]

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 03:35:42 am »

ah okay.  I do not believe my map has any sample packs, but I did have one blue cotton candy stand and several cherry stands.  however, I accidentally flooded the stand with some hot caramel so i cannot get  to most of my blue raspberry cotton candy.  I will need to get that caramel cooled off first.  ;D

Also, what are the differences in cotton candy?  both between cherry and blue-raspberry and between their sampler packs?

I love these circus metaphors.

Blue raspberry is the normal stuff - that's the really sharp, light one. Cherry flavoured, however, is absurdly heavy - since blue raspberry warhammers were absolutely epic in 40d (I think), this gives a type of cotton candy to make warhammers out of. Don't bother with edged weapons, though - it can't hold an edge at all.

And the bonus prize is a special berry that should grow in the circus (it may not, but you could test it by making some mud down there) and gives the best booze in the game.

Also, download dfhack and run dfprospector - that'll tell you if you have any sample packs. They only show up in small clusters in metamorphic rock, and they're lower quality than the real stuff. The frequency's been toned down a bit in the next update, but for now if you have any you'll have several hundred units.
    Weirdly, I had no sampler cherry cotton candy on my first time looking around(using dfreveal and dfprospector). Not even a single tile. I a a load of sampler blueberry. I guess that makes up for having only one of the veins being blueberry.
    My second time was a 4th of a embark tile, trying to check out something about a curious structure.
    I can confirm that there will be cherry *Upright spoilers*
    Looking at the raws, there will apparently be sampler pack upright spoilers, which I suggest you change.
    Also unpausing gave me 4 fps after the clowns spawned
    I dont think it will grow in the circus, since it isn't muddy.
    It will grow in places underground plants can grow when you go to the surface. I think.
    Thanks for the heads up, I forgot to remove the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tags from the sampler packs. Also, I've noticed that the sampler packs tend to appear in only one type of stone - were the blueberry samplers in slate? I think that's what it was.

Also, Xenos, what do you mean by "spills"?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 03:40:04 am »

water/mud in the circus right at the get go.  And I wish I had known cherry is horrific for any edges...(how terrible is it at edged?  will the mass help compensate?  How does it fair for armor?)
    [DWARFINEERING]

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 03:45:01 am »

I don't think you can do that. And you know how most metals have [MAX_EDGE:1000], and weapon-grade metals have 10000? Sampler cherry has [MAX_EDGE:10], and brand-name cherry has 100.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
    • [DWARFINEER]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:33 am »

oh wow.  so yeah, thats about as sharp as a chamfer...>_> so, a cherry battle axe would be horrific...well, that will be good trade material :P  and i think i will export cherry sawblades (blueberry is too scarce)

EDIT:  My militia commander grabbed a battle axe of each cotton candy...and yeah, a cherry battle axe and cloak is slowing her down to a crawl...
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:52:11 am by Xenos »
    [DWARFINEERING]
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13