Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Zaerosz's Flavour Mod v. 1.6 - Introducing Alchemy! (0.31.18)  (Read 12666 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Zaerosz's Flavour Mod v. 1.5 - Anubites and Centaurs! (0.31.18)
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2010, 10:45:49 pm »

Making alchemy reactions right now. Need ideas for spirit essence, air essence and cold essence. Help, please.
くコ:彡

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »

I present to you, the entire contents of my item_weapon file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had another ranged weapon (the Throwing Glove) with a few different types of ammo (javelins, throwing axes, throwing knives, etc.) but it displayed as "weapon", and I don't want to give that to you until I get it fixed. I'm pretty sure I know the problem, but again, I'll test it out and see if you really want it anyway. I plan on making a bunch of different ammo types (e.g. specific ammo for the Hand Ballistae, etc.) but I'll wait and see what Alchemy looks like before I do so. I mean, if I can make flaming arrows, frost arrows, etc, I'll do that. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2010, 11:08:41 pm »

Um. Quarterstaves are in there twice. And I was kinda going to do throwing weapons myself.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2010, 11:09:46 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, and ok. Anything else that a still fairly new/dodgy modder can help with?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2010, 11:37:01 pm »

I dunno. Any ideas for the alchemy things? Here's a sample of what I have so far:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ALCH_NATURE_ELFTEAR]
[NAME:alchemize elftear seeds]
[BUILDING:ALCH_WORKSHOP:CUSTOM_SHIFT_E]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:ITEM_BOTTLE:INORGANIC:NATURE]
[REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:90:5:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:SEED_MAT:ELFTEAR:SEED]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[REACTION:ALCH_NATURE_SPIRIT_SPIRITWOOD]
[NAME:alchemize spiritwood]
[BUILDING:ALCH_WORKSHOP:CUSTOM_SHIFT_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:ITEM_BOTTLE:INORGANIC:NATURE]
[REAGENT:B:1:TOY:ITEM_BOTTLE:INORGANIC:SPIRIT]
[REAGENT:C:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:FEATHER:WOOD]
[REAGENT:D:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ETHER_IRON]
[REAGENT:E:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:90:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SPIRITWOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

[REACTION:ALCH_EARTH_GOLD]
[NAME:alchemize lead to gold]
[BUILDING:ALCH_WORKSHOP:CUSTOM_SHIFT_G]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:ITEM_BOTTLE:INORGANIC:EARTH]
[REAGENT:B:750:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:LEAD]
[PRODUCT:90:5:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GOLD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

Essence elements available are heat, cold, nature, earth, air and spirit. Spirit, air and cold in particular need things to do.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

Did you want certain elements to be paired only with certain things? Example: Earth with metals, Water with seeds, etc, etc? Or did you need tons and tons of stuff?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:52 am »

Earth is mainly stones and metals, water doesn't exist, nature is plants etc., heat is used as fuel in a few of the bigger reactions. Beyond that, I've got nothing.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:13 am »

Soooooooo... anyone? Any ideas?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:13 am »

Sorry, bro. Work ate my brains, what with the holidays and 7 days a week coming up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »

looks great, 2 things tough:

Currently more or less identical to goblins at the moment.
This bothers me :P, and the fact that it bothers me, bothers me even more.

Many new weapons, including the falchion, broadsword and claymore!#
Could you make is so that when you read the description of a (new) weapkn it will be like this:
This is a masterwork iron Falchion, Falchion are swords specially designed for fighting armored enemies but are also usefull to break the bones of large beasts
(so we know what they're good for without writing it down or alt tabbing to a readme

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:16 am »

looks great, 2 things tough:

Currently more or less identical to goblins at the moment.
This bothers me :P, and the fact that it bothers me, bothers me even more.

Many new weapons, including the falchion, broadsword and claymore!#
Could you make is so that when you read the description of a (new) weapkn it will be like this:
This is a masterwork iron Falchion, Falchion are swords specially designed for fighting armored enemies but are also usefull to break the bones of large beasts
(so we know what they're good for without writing it down or alt tabbing to a readme

Sorry about the first bit, and no for the second bit. No other items do that, why would you be able to make it happen?

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »

What about some kind of alloy that uses bones or skulls for the spirit essence part?

Also what about using actual ice in the transmutation of the cold metals?

Edit: I'm having a bug where giant ants are being ignored by my military. I'd like to slaughter the 40 or so out there but they just stand in the middle of them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:29:16 pm by Prepaid Lenin »

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »

You changed MAKE_SOAP to MAKE_SOAP_FAT in the permitted reactions in entity_default.txt, but didn't change the name of the reaction in reaction_other.txt.  I expect this makes it impossible to actually make soap from fat.  Also, it looks like you're making plant oil soap directly from the plants and lye.  It seems preferable to first process the plants to oil, maybe via process to barrel?  Or if they could be processed to plant oil globs with REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW, you could use the soap making reaction as is.

ATD Workshop is a terrible name.  I would call it a foundry.  It bothers me somewhat that you can make molds from any old junk stone.  (Although it probably shouldn't, given that you can already make complex mechanical parts from stone.)  Why not limit it to, say, clay and plaster type materials?  And maybe sand, for simpler molds?  Since you can ease the pressure on scarce bed materials with this, it seems like the required resources ought to be at least somewhat limited.  (Hmm.  I guess you achieve that by requiring hides, anyway.)  It also kind of bothers me that you can cast magma-safe iron using only magma heat as your fuel source.  And I don't understand why an anvil is required to build this workshop.

Using ITEM_TOY as a base item type for molds is clever, but it's a shame to force people out of toy making, even if it is an uncommon activity.  And might a child claim a mold as a plaything?  If you used, say, ITEM_TOOL instead, what problems would that cause?  Maybe not stockpilable?  Maybe cause adventure mode problems?  It would at least make more sense for them to be tools than toys.

Casting beds is swell.  Maybe furnishing them could be done at the leather works instead of the foundry itself?  I don't see the point to casting querns.  Casting anvils could be handy.

I quite like the gem workshop, though I might change that to "stone polisher".  I also like the display case a lot.  And bone blocks.  And fossils.

Most of the new creatures, entities, metals, and weapons interest me less than the above items.  While variety is good, it has to be balanced against the pain of scanning through expanded material lists, so I tend to pick up only those things that particularly appeal to me.  Having a heavy deep material for awesome hammers sounds good for balance, but I'm not really into going after those deep materials in the first place.  Calling such a material "mythril" is an instant turn-off to me, although I know a lot of other folks like that flavor.  I'd probably like it better if it was produced in a reaction as something like wolfram adamantite.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2010, 02:12:47 am »

You changed MAKE_SOAP to MAKE_SOAP_FAT in the permitted reactions in entity_default.txt, but didn't change the name of the reaction in reaction_other.txt.  I expect this makes it impossible to actually make soap from fat.  Also, it looks like you're making plant oil soap directly from the plants and lye.  It seems preferable to first process the plants to oil, maybe via process to barrel?  Or if they could be processed to plant oil globs with REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW, you could use the soap making reaction as is.
Y'see, this is what I get for forgetting to update EVERY file I ever used between versions. :-\ Also, nobody knows how to use extracts in reactions. Which is why nobody's made blood wine yet.

ATD Workshop is a terrible name.  I would call it a foundry.  It bothers me somewhat that you can make molds from any old junk stone.  (Although it probably shouldn't, given that you can already make complex mechanical parts from stone.)  Why not limit it to, say, clay and plaster type materials?  And maybe sand, for simpler molds?  Since you can ease the pressure on scarce bed materials with this, it seems like the required resources ought to be at least somewhat limited.  (Hmm.  I guess you achieve that by requiring hides, anyway.)  It also kind of bothers me that you can cast magma-safe iron using only magma heat as your fuel source.  And I don't understand why an anvil is required to build this workshop.
  • ATD = Advanced Tool Design. Not very creative, but there ya go.
  • Can't use sand in reactions - same issue as with extracts. And if I changed it to clay or plaster, people in volcanic biomes would be SOL - little-to-no wood, which was the purpose of making the metal beds possible, and no gypsum.
  • Anvil... hm. I sorta just stuck that in there as a placeholder item.
  • About the casting iron: dwarves can work adamantine, with a melting point hotter than the surface of the sun, and an immunity to forces both blunt and sharp several hundred times that of diamond, with no more than a lump of coal and (presumably) a hammer. Anything related to metalworking oddities is best ignored.

Using ITEM_TOY as a base item type for molds is clever, but it's a shame to force people out of toy making, even if it is an uncommon activity.  And might a child claim a mold as a plaything?  If you used, say, ITEM_TOOL instead, what problems would that cause?  Maybe not stockpilable?  Maybe cause adventure mode problems?  It would at least make more sense for them to be tools than toys.
ITEM_TOY is a recognised item token. ITEM_TOOL is not. You can't magic up raw tags out of thin air. Also, AFAIK, toys are just like crafts - completely useless, except for trading.

Casting beds is swell.  Maybe furnishing them could be done at the leather works instead of the foundry itself?  I don't see the point to casting querns.  Casting anvils could be handy.
Leatherworks doesn't accept custom reactions. Casting querns... I like querns. I don't know why. And since the ATD Foundry will no longer require an anvil in the next release, casting anvils will be in.

I quite like the gem workshop, though I might change that to "stone polisher".  I also like the display case a lot.  And bone blocks.  And fossils.
I'm slightly disappointed that most of what you've said you liked about this mod was done by oher people. And the Gem Workshop will have more functionality as soon as I figure out more stuff to do with it.

Most of the new creatures, entities, metals, and weapons interest me less than the above items.  While variety is good, it has to be balanced against the pain of scanning through expanded material lists, so I tend to pick up only those things that particularly appeal to me.  Having a heavy deep material for awesome hammers sounds good for balance, but I'm not really into going after those deep materials in the first place.  Calling such a material "mythril" is an instant turn-off to me, although I know a lot of other folks like that flavor.  I'd probably like it better if it was produced in a reaction as something like wolfram adamantite.
I know what you mean with the bit about the extra materials. More or less the only thing I don't like about mods in general, really. Adamantine and mythril go together. I could whip up some runite, if you're a Runescape fan. And wolfram adamantine wouldn't make sense for mythril - wolfram isn't particularly heavy, and I'm not sure how strong it is, but it doesn't seem much better than iron, so it'd just be really watered down, slightly heavier adamantine. Besides, I tend to see the deep metals as supernatural in origin - adamantine is the lightest solid in DF by an enormous margin, and yet it's absurdly hard and sharp. Even dwarves aren't skilled enough to create something like that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:16:09 am by Zaerosz »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2010, 10:19:38 am »

The English name for Wolfram is Tungsten, which is why Tungsten has a W for its elemental symbol on the periodic table. You know, the malleable stuff they put in incandescent light bulbs, and sometimes toasters and stuff? Black Wolfram is Tungsten Carbide (drill bits, saw blades, indestructible jewelry, jet engine turbines, and other stuff that needs to be harder than steel and never break or melt except in the most extreme circumstances.)

Also, could you change Wolframite's color to 7,7,0? It's not supposed to be blue, that was just a mistake on my part.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13