Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dark fortresses?  (Read 1852 times)

Altairian_dollar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dark fortresses?
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »

With the newest update, I seem to have trouble finding dark fortresses in adveture mode. The upper left corner guide points me to a spot where there is nothing there. This happens with towns and villages too, but to a lesser extent.

Is this a feature, a bug, or an oversight?

(How am I supposed to track down and kill all the legendary fiends now? >:|)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
Re: Dark fortresses?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:40:23 pm »

Adventure mode is still in transition. So there are no real dark fortresses anywhere.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Altairian_dollar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »

Are you sure? In the 31.12 version of DF you could visit and/or raid dark fortresses in adventure mode, and hell, even embark directly upon them in Fortress mode. At least in that version they were very real.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »

Yep. in .13 And .14  adventure mode is broken, thanks mainly to the entity sprawl update. But in a couple of releases there's gonna be a shitton of new stuff. If you want a working adventure mode just stick to .12
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »

It's not as if there were likely to be actual goblins in them anyway.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:08:14 am by Knigel »

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »

My adventure has sucky dark fortresses their either normal human towns or empty.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:11:56 am »

shame really, I think going on a genocide was a great way of blowing off steam if you wanted to enjoy the unabridged violence of Dwarf fortress if you didn't have the time or energy to play out a fort
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »

shame really, I think going on a genocide was a great way of blowing off steam if you wanted to enjoy the unabridged violence of Dwarf fortress if you didn't have the time or energy to play out a fort

I always die in adventure mode, the longest I've ever lived was 10 minutes. How do you all stay alive so long?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »

Grab some decent armour and weapons, and mass slaughter wolves befory you tackle BC's, Hydras etc

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 03:35:25 pm »

It might not work if you're a Kobold (which reminds me, y'know you can mod to play as lots of things? Has anyone ever played as a wambler?) mind you, there were 2 legendary ettins...

I regret the whole Dark Fortress thing, I went there and thought 'I'm going to fight some monsters!' then it was deserted, except for some children/prisoners/meatshields.

Which reminds me, how would one go about getting a backpack in a 'play now' file? It's the whole money thing...

Everybody!

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

Retire, then un-retire, you get a full suit of clothing. Also i've played as: A fly (didn't go well), a Wagon(Deconstructed automatically), A roach (Kicked ass, 'til i was squished by a single punch) and many other things.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »

The only real, legal way to get one in Play Now that I've seen is to kill an animal, leave either the spear or dagger lying around, lug the carcass back to town. Go to the village clothing shop, butcher the corpse, grab the cheapest backpack you can find, wear the backpack, put the parts from the slaughtered creature in the backpack, trade the stuff inside of it for money, dump everything, and then buy the backpack while it's still on you. Remember to dump everything in the pack first as the newly traded items will count towards its total cost otherwise.

It's a bit of a pain, but makes things a lot easier in the long run since you can now easily grab enough rocks to train throwing. Of course, there's always going to a cave and trying to grab up some expensive item or other to sell, but that risks an encounter that you're probably not going to win with a copper spear and no armor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:50:25 pm by Ubiq »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »

It might not work if you're a Kobold (which reminds me, y'know you can mod to play as lots of things? Has anyone ever played as a wambler?) mind you, there were 2 legendary ettins...

It might sound fun, but it would kind of suck if you were something that couldn't learn and thus get stronger. Plus, you probably couldn't butcher anything because you couldn't use the necessary items to do so and thus couldn't eat.

Retire, then un-retire, you get a full suit of clothing. Also i've played as: A fly (didn't go well), a Wagon(Deconstructed automatically), A roach (Kicked ass, 'til i was squished by a single punch) and many other things.

How did controlling something which has no body parts play?

Also, how did something attack a vermin?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:54 pm »

Thanks for the info. Now all I need do is get something I can kill.

I threw both the spear and dagger at an aligator once. Wounding it badly, and I grabbed the spear again.
It was unconcious so I tried to close-kill it...
Everybody!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:34 pm »

Has anyone ever played as a wambler?)
Not as a wambler, but I did play once as a wambler man in my uplift mod, which includes procedurally generated animalperson versions of all the non-aquatic, non-intelligent, non-megabeast creatures in the raws.  It didn't last long, the first pack of wolves I ran into tore me apart.  I did take a surprisingly long time to actually die, since Wamblers don't have blood or internal organs they need to be torn apart to die, like little pudgy bronze colossi.

How did controlling something which has no body parts play?
Actually, vermin have body parts in the current version.  You can't see them normally because the game won't let you look at a vermin as if it were a creature, but they're defined in the raws.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2