Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity II (Continuing Barbarossa the Seal God's Thread)  (Read 6661 times)

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity II (under new ownership)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »

Hmm... while this wouldn't have much effect on players viewing a map, should fog and smoke have some kind of vision effect on enemies? Maybe they wouldn't know that enemies on the other side of the fog or in fog exist. Just throwing it out there.

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity II (Continuing Barbarossa the Seal God's Thread)
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 02:10:47 pm »

One idea that seems to have been kicked around but not really explored is treants a.k.a tree-people. On post (on another thread noted that they were listed in the Raws but don't seem to appear anywhere?  I'm just wondering how they appear. Are they megabeasts? are they their own civilization? part of the Elven civilization?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

Treants would be a Fun surprise for woodcutters to say the least...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

Treants are what happen when you cut down a whole bunch of trees in a Good biome, of course! The good biomes really need some more diversity...

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:11 pm »

Hmm...so would it be possible to have good Megabeasts? I mean, if your chopping down trees as a treant walks onto your map, he's not likely to be happy about it, but all things equal, could there be big friendly giants in the future?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »

Reviving this thread a bit, Maybe a bit of thoughts on oxygen? I mean you can build a base completely underwater and still be okay.

Maybe really, really high peaks would have low oxygen content, which would slow dwarves down a bit when their at the top of a 500 Z-level mountain. (not sure on this one, how high is a Z-level exactly in dwarf fortress?)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

Treants are what happen when you cut down a whole bunch of trees in a Good biome, of course! The good biomes really need some more diversity...

That, and/or they're the Elvish version of trolls.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »

Reviving this thread a bit, Maybe a bit of thoughts on oxygen? I mean you can build a base completely underwater and still be okay.

Maybe really, really high peaks would have low oxygen content, which would slow dwarves down a bit when their at the top of a 500 Z-level mountain. (not sure on this one, how high is a Z-level exactly in dwarf fortress?)

I like to think dwarves as having ridiculously high red blood cell counts to deal with mining in deep mines with sub-optimal ventilation, and having good constitution to boot to deal with dangerous gasses ans stuff... In that case, maybe they wouldn't suffer much at high altitudes.  :D  Though I like the idea in general!

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 10:49:59 am »

Regarding the impacts, this site may be of interest: http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/ - it simulates effects of asteroid impact based on input (how large and dense the asteroid is, impact angle and velocity, surface it hits, how far from impact you are).
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »

It would be cool if you could find coins sometimes in the soil at the sites of abandoned cities.  Even cooler if the coin shows a giant tentacled hedgehog treading on a pile of corpses, and you then you run across said monstrosity in the ruins you are visiting.
Pages: 1 [2]