Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps  (Read 14675 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »

well i never played patapon, but i dont see how it's not like SR. you have a party, they move from left to right. they level up and stuff.

not to deep, but you can have different party builds. kinda a bit like SR if you ask me. but of course, I am no expert on such things.
I got nothing

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:02 pm »

Patapon is sort of like that, but several features differentiate them. Stick ranger has units you can move around at will and have mostly offensive skills based on their weapons. Patapon has a flat 1D plane in which you move right based on what commands you give, from attack, move, defend and fall back. The classes are swordsman who can use a shield to block arrows, a mounted horseman, a spear-thrower and an archer. Stick ranger has quite different classes and abilities.

Although as you said, you never played it so the differences are lot on you. Still, I see where you are coming from. I think there is a good LP out there if you want to see how Patapon handles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 06:25:39 am »

Right, bumping this up to ask for suggestions for my next party. I have three ideas here:
 -Something boxer-heavy. I've never used boxers because they can't not be damaged, so it would be an interesting challenge. I would take along one priest and one bowman for defense and anti-air because I'm not suicidal.
 -Magic-heavy. One, priest, three mages. Fire, ice and thunder. Could work.
 -Gunner heavy. Two gunners two priests, which reportedly can deal the most damage of any team combos in the game.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »

Boxer heavy of course.  It's not that hard until the flying enemies.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 12:52:56 pm »

Mages are fun after you get the tier 2 orbs.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:34 pm »

The only real problem points were the grasslands and dealing with the second temple boss. And when level ups only mean increased range and another 2% ATK for the priest you are very dependent on equipment. I had to hunt for Bullet Card 3's for the thunder storm to take down the second temple boss, which was quite a bit more effort than I put into getting bullet Card 4's for the thunder spear. My god Thunder spear. Bullet Card 4 and Guide Card 3 make this weapon amazing. And ice meteor is just insane. It makes cold weapons useful. the last fire iteration is strong but very inaccurate, and there is no way to fix that.

After doing a magic-only build I'm kinda itching for a physical only build. Two snipers, a gladiator and a boxer. Although if things get too difficult later on I may use a poison bow and a magic stone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 05:45:17 pm »

Damn you're way more into this game than I am.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »

Damn you're way more into this game than I am.

TienIsCoolX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:51 am »

Anyway to make that little screen bigger?  I'm on a 23" monitor and its TINY, I always have to squint and I stopped playing after beating the first boss because of that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 12:55:48 am »

Only thing I could think of would be to drop the screen's resolution. Running at 800x640 or whatever'll stretch it to fill a great deal of the screen, least when I did it. No idea how your monitor would react to that, though. New stuff probably has issues with backwards compatibility.

Could probably do something to the code or something, but that's entirely beyond me. Quick google shows a bunch of crap for making it work on cell phones, but not much for fixing it for PCs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »

Bluh. Just don't try this people. Snipers deal terrible damage and are only there for bosses you can't melee. Melee fighters are also kinda useless, the gladiator being kinda slow and the boxer dying way too quickly. Vampire cards don't heal enough to justify him. And the drops needed to make these guys effective in the desert are dropped by physical resistant foes. Bluh bluh.

Alright. Three priests. One gunner. Hopefully this will be less painful to deal with.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 07:43:35 pm »

Just tried playing this after Duke mentioned it.  I did pretty good with a sniper, a gunner, a priest, and a boxer, but the boxer is always on the verge of death and the priest doesn't appear to do anything.

How long are most levels?  I exited to the map on the first "area" and had to start over from the beginning.  That's annoying.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

Most stages are between five and ten screens, Opening Street being one of the longest ones as it was the first to be made before the general pattern of the game was laid down. Exiting the stage before beating the boss means you won't be counted as beating the stage. Good for after you have beaten it, but you want to get the boss eventually. And while some stages can have you just walk the guys around the bosses will require a strategy of some kind. Just remember that bosses always attack the guy closest to them(Except the wonky zombie and wheel enemies, and the shy ones), so you can drag a guy over them as your ranged guys pour damage in there.

And this game is the most fulfilling grind I have ever had. It's open about the grind and is nice about it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 12:06:48 am »

Look at that attack range. LOOK AT IT.Every shot makes like five clouds that damage enemies, and that full damage applies to each one. And a 25% chance of doing 300% damage. I mostly used those sniper rifles(The dark guns on the right side of the inventory), as the range and damage were quite amazing for most of the game. Megabosses posed little issue. Grinding for strength stones REALLY didn't like me this game. I didn't even bother going for the bullets card 4, as the shotgun was less useful than the sniper rifle. Even in groups of enemies I did better to kill clumps before they reached the party and move the whole party away.
 Even then, this was not a terribly fun run. The funnest build I did was the 3 magician.

I may try a party totally dependent on the magic ability of their weapon, so no magicians, priests or gunners. Perhaps one priest, because It's the only viable way of boosting bonus AT.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 04:05:36 pm »

I should probably post here so Duke doesn't have to triple post.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4