Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps  (Read 14674 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

Yes yes, there's a Stick Ranger thread that's over a year old, but that only garnered like three replies and nothing much happened there.

The adventure begins!
Wiki with more relevant info.

Stick Ranger places you in the hands of four (three in my picture because one's dead right now) stick dudes who you order around by flinging them gracefully with your cursor, auto move is highly recommended as well unless you have mad StarCraft skills.

When you being your NEW GAME you'll be greeted with the class selection screen.

Classes include,

Boxer - badass tanker that have miserable range
Gladiator - strong warrior that uses a sword
Sniper - bow and arrow user who has the farthest range in the same, don't expect him to die much
Magician - magic user who shoots balls of power/energy/mIrAcLeS
Priest - don't think he can heal people, but he can zap people and has a buffing aura surrounding him
Gunner - uses guns, fun class to use, but probably not the best one
Whipper - who can guess what this guy does

You start at a town that has three places,

Shop - buy stuff (not recommended) and sell stuff (recommended)
Book - I have no idea
Inn - heal your team for a lot of money

Now you travel around the map starting off with small fry (although you're small fry yourself) and progressing into harder and harder enemies.

At the end of a level you always face off with an awesome boss, which may be one guy or a whole bunch of them.

Anyone else play this before?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »

Yep. Gunner costs lots. It costs to fire XC
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:13:47 pm »

Yeah and I beat it at the time(But there's more to it now I think) with 4 snipers.

Just a tip, go through the cave when you can.  The end of that path is helpful.  I'm gonna try another band of four team.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:16:04 pm »

What party y'all recommend?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:34:14 pm »

4 snipers, triple shot.(use quint shot later)

If you build up distance you pretty much outrange everything.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »

Haha, stick rangers is awesome, indeed.

For a party, there's a few guides somewhere on the thing's (bloody hard to navigate, last time I was there) wiki that gives optimal point spread and crap; gladiators and fighters are actually freakishly powerful when spec'd right (but basically crap if not), way, way more effective in 90% of the cases than the ranged choices... or at least the were; the last time I played was before those whippers showed up, so I'm hopping back in for a round.

Initial whipper assessment: Awesome.

Also, always include a priest in your party. Always, for that priest, get the uber-range stick and pump nothing but whatever stat it is that boosts the attack%; eventually you'll be increasing your overall party damage output more than any single class could possibly manage.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »

how do MPs work?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

If you're asking what I think you are, you get a number of MP per strike, based on how high your magic stat is. When your MP pool hits whatever the MP cost is on your weapon is, the weapon's magic effect triggers.

Even a magic score of 1 will eventually cause weapon effects to proc, but the higher your magic stat, the more often it triggers (i.e. less hits between activations.). There's no point to having a mag score higher than the MP cost of your eventual weapon, though, unless you're a class that has some other effect tied to your MAG stat.

Figuring out what weapon your characters will eventually use and matching your magic stat to what they require (if anything; some classes don't need the added proc to shine with certain weapons) is a pretty big part of stat point allocation.
Ask not!
Ask!

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »

I guess I'm not doing it right since my Boxer has 200hp at level 7.  :P
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:07:21 pm »

I'm not going to restart to test this, but am I right in understanding guns actually cost money to fire?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

I'm not going to restart to test this, but am I right in understanding guns actually cost money to fire?
Yep, put some points in MAG so it costs less.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:31 pm »

I guess I'm not doing it right since my Boxer has 200hp at level 7.  :P

Yeah, it's not terribly difficult to do that (Comp items or putting points into LP can make it happen pretty quickly.), but from what I remember seeing on the wiki (and from what I played, which was pretty far in following a party guide) offense >>> defense, so being able to take 200 points of damage doesn't help much if you can't kill things quickly... or at least it doesn't help as much as killing the critters before they can attack :P

Supposedly there's quite a number of ways to play (Though full priest is probably impossible.), so whatever works for you works. Level 7's pretty early though -- my 3xwhipper/1xpriest team's all level 11 and only has three distinct boss kills under their belt.

Whippers are pretty awesome, and I think they'll start kickin' serious tail once I get a decent proc on their whips, but they're not all that impressive in the early game. Especially compared to magicians and snipers, who just kinda' breeze through the first quarter-to-third of the game... and then hit a brick doomwall if they haven't been very freaking careful about how they built their character. Still have more trouble in the mid-late game than some other classes.

Proper spec'd boxer was, at least the last I played stick rangers much, an absolute and complete beast, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »

My current party is teetering around level 30, the last five levels being accented by the sweet gear I got from breaking the sequence somewhat by beating the Mist Grove. A Bowman, priest, Mage and Whipper all made for specific strengths. Bowman is set with all strength so I don't have to use the relatively weak long-range bows to deal some damage. The Priest is set for all str for massive attack bonus, and i only equip him with the long rods for maximum range. I also gave him a Coin I got that increases the drop rate, because why the hell not. Mage is set for freezing, so everything is in Agility. And Whipper with only 30 int and the rest in Dex, because I would need like 60 int before it even matters. I'll just buff what really matters.

And dammit how I hate the Submarine levels. There is no way those could not be frustrating. And the Submarine boss is heads and tail tougher than anything else.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:54 pm »

Lost my game data. Didn't have an account, made one, and my save is gone.  :-\

Guess I'll be restarting.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:21 pm »

Lost my game data. Didn't have an account, made one, and my save is gone.  :-\

Guess I'll be restarting.
Same thing happened to me, refresh that page and your old save should be there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4