Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps  (Read 14673 times)

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »

Lost my game data. Didn't have an account, made one, and my save is gone.  :-\

Guess I'll be restarting.
Same thing happened to me, refresh that page and your old save should be there.
Already started new.  :P

Instead of magician/priest(Def)/sniper/boxer it's now
Gladiator/Boxer/priest(Atk)/sniper.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 12:26:55 pm »

(Bump)

Got to level 16 after starting new again.

Also books:

They give you exact stats for all the monsters in the map, including LP and what they drop.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »

Yeah, I bought my first book and they are pretty unnecessary if you use the wikipedia.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 03:25:33 pm »

S'nice to be able to see the numbers on the enemy's life bars, though. About the only thing useful it does, unfortunately.

The costs on books are flipping ridiculous. Having numbers on the life bar is seriously not worth it :-\

That being said, there's not terribly much worth while to do with cash, from what I've seen. Shop bought weapons aren't really worth it. I guess the compo item shops might be useful occasionally... but, iirc, by the time you get to the compo shop you're already picking up second+ tier compo items, making the shop mostly useless (Except for a stop-gap thing until you can grind up the better ones, I guess.).  So there's no real reason not to spend the cash, really. Might as well spend it on some numbers.

DOUBLEPOSTPREVENTIONEDIT: Finally got vampire card + sonic punch. Boxer is, at last, a fully functioning member of the party instead of the dangling stick-puppet I use to draw fire. Takes so freaking long to get that bloody card :-\

For those wondering what the vampire card entails, my boxer is now basically soloing the entire castle gate stage. Before, he could barely survive wading through one or two screens*.

*When I actually let him fight instead of dangling him upside down over the hordes of grey walkers and spinny things, rendering 90% of the stage impotent vs sniper fire.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:13:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »

You might wanna throw an Onigiri card onto the boxer instead of the vamp one. Onigiri makes it so there is a 5% chance of dropping rice balls, so you can heal the whole team.

I took a 4 sniper squad out, got to seashore and mist and hit a brick wall. Trying other teams now.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 09:12:31 pm »

Yeah, the eventual setup's vamp and onigiri on a pure str boxer. Sonic knuckle + strength boosted pure str priest = really freaking hard to kill.

You can get further with triple anything + priest than you will with quad anything. Around 34 str, a priest starts giving you a >100% total party damage boost, which means it's adding more damage than a third critter would. Solid investment.

EDIT: Though getting the onigiri card is another story. I now have four five six seven eight nine ten eleven vamp 1 cards and 0 one onigiri :-\

Some next-gen RPG totally needs to have a character/class that heals the party by beating health out of the opposing side. Watching an onigiri boxer wade into, say, the lake level is pretty bloody awesome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:39:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »

My current theory involves 4 straight str priests. The way I see it, by lvl 25, they'll be doing double damage each, at a range equal to the base range of the triple shot, to all enemies in range, without compos. Should make the lake interesting.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:56 pm »

Yeah, priests have at least some chance to, eventually, kick a fair amount of tail... it's just the getting there. The horrific getting there, where your entire party is doing like a total of 20 damage for the first five or so stages, and not getting much better 'til quite a while later. Sounds like a Sisyphus style-hell to me :P
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

I had to farm green gems to get past the starter stages boss effectively. Fortunately, the next stage is getting slaughtered by the attack everything in range ability.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 10:50:10 pm »

Trying this, and am playing priest, two snipers, and a boxer. How should I spread stat points?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »

Trying this, and am playing priest, two snipers, and a boxer. How should I spread stat points?

STR priest, DEX sniper, mixed bag for the boxer, depending on what you want him to do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Depends on what you want to do 'em :P

The boxer may or may not want some dex and mag, but it'll likely be mostly str. If you're planning on using the mach/sonic gloves, go with nothing but strength. If you're using anything else, enough dex to at-least-half attack delay (preferably have it hit the absolute min of 5-10) and enough mag to proc the weapon effect regularly will also be needed.

The priest will probably want nothing but strength; str determines their attack aura, dex their defense, and mag increases range (and maybe damage), but range is probably pointless because the better staves have huge range anyway.

The snipers have to choose based on what bow they want to end up using; if it's got a magic effect, they'll want some mag. The snipers will probably want to have mostly dex, which increases damage for them, but strength increases range; if you're planning on having one or both focus on outranging the enemies, they'll want to have a good deal of strength, too.

I'd suggest checking out the wiki's guides. The site's occasionally kinda' wonky for me, but most wikia sites seem temperamental when you turn off things like javascript :P
Ask not!
Ask!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 07:14:10 pm »

this game on Kongregate is kinda like stick ranger:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nerdook/monster-slayers
I got nothing

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »

It's more like Patapon than Stick Ranger.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 07:59:11 pm »

Yeah, not a whole lot like SR.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4