Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts  (Read 43468 times)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

Embarked. Wagon was on the Volcano... in the magma.

That must have been around 40d. It was a year or two ago.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Temprate forest, arrived with the ground covered in snow and the river frozen,  spring came 10 frames in,  turns out my wagon was on top of a murky pond.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

particlehavoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2011, 12:39:27 pm »

Embarked in a calm area
I see the announcement: Urist McMiner cancels dig; Interrupted by Rhesus Macaque
I quickly recruited everyone onto the military and sent them out to kill them
Urist McRecruit has drowned x7

Urist McAnt has been an ant lately. She admired a fine Anthill lately.
[/quote]

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »

Hm, maybe I'll try something non-violent for a change? Here's this nice volcanic island in the middle of the sea.

*You have found a shrine!*

Three seconds of spectatular fireworks by a giant maggot.

Or, even shorter, first test in raw modding, trying to embark burning dwarves in the middle of a goblin village, but only changed homeotherm.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »

I have yet to have one that instantly dies to wildlife or bizarre terrain, but I've had plenty of short forts that usually end by "oh hey I think I channeled the river through my dining room."  Had one 40d that was finished by fire imps as soon as I attempted to make use of a magma pipe because I had no idea how to set it up safely.

My most dismally doomed fort was my first ever attempt to embark on a glacier.  I couldn't figure out how to melt water at all, and my dwarves all died of dehydration when the booze ran out.  Woo!
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »

Found a ideal spot with a river, a mountain, heavy shrubs and so on. As soon as i spawned, my dorves were mauled by Alligators.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:08 pm »

I noticed a bandit camp one of my adventurers had found out about and decided to embark there.
Seven dwarves, only a few with any military skill, all confused, against a few dozen armed, trained goblin bandits.
I didn't last long.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:42 pm »

Wow, I have to say thank you Wyrm, I had no idea you could even do that. Spawning in a bandit camp...that sounds like Fun!

Anyway, for me I decided to try my hand at a real challenging, a Sinister Tundra with no vegetation at all. I decided to be well prepared and brought two military dwarves with weapons and armor, sadly this proved useless for two reason:
1) Rhesus Maques came the instant I started up, stealing all of my weapons (little buggers couldn't have stolen something like food...nooo)
2) At the same time, everybody freaks out and runs away because three ogres are right next to the wagon.
Fortunately the ogres are taken care of quickly by the dogs that I brought with me. Unfortunately "taken care of" in this case means unconcious, which means all my dwarves are still freaking out and won't touch the wagon. So I send everybody in the military and have them attack the ogres, to finish them off and go on with my business of going on a murderous Rhesus Maque rampage.
Two seasons later: Urist McDwarf has died of thirst x7

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:33 pm »

Embarked with 7 picks, and 7 miners. Cold Biome. First priority, get underground. Second priority, choose another embark.

First thing they did was hit ice and freeze solid.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:16 am »

Embarked with 7 picks, and 7 miners. Cold Biome. First priority, get underground. Second priority, choose another embark.

First thing they did was hit ice and freeze solid.

Ice is awesome.  So is magma.  Put them together, and you get not a shortest lived fort, but WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2011, 10:05:19 am »

Shortest embark... embarked in a desert and found a GDS sat there. They managed to kill him, the woodcutters and mienrs combined. But all of them had been stung.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

Start digging. Skeleton camels. Dead. Two minutes.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2011, 12:35:03 pm »

Embark next to a stream.

Alligator.

He's now named.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:31 pm »

haunted swamp.
beak dogs.
we had almost finished digging a hole to put our food in when they slaughtered us to the last.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »

Wild duck in the food stockpile.

Also takes the cake for most hilarious reason to die ever:

Urist McCoward: Oi, I'm a mite hungry, I think I'll go have a bit o' a nibble on that there plump 'elmet.
Duck McDuck: Quack quack quack!
Urist McCoward: OH MY FUCKIN GOD A DUCK! Fuck the food I'm outta here!
*seconds later*
Urist McCoward: Hey, I'm a mite hungry...
Urist McHasABigAxeButHasNoBrainToUseIt: Hey maybe I'll HOLY SHIT A DUCK RUNNING AWAY NOW!
ect. ect.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15