Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts  (Read 43433 times)

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »

"Strike the earth" followed by "Cavern Collapsed".  Unstable lip right above embark location, next to the volcanoe... Took out the food, and all but one dwarf and one dog...  and I really didn't like the location anyway (wasn't as flat as I had hoped).

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

"Strike the earth" followed by "Cavern Collapsed".  Unstable lip right above embark location, next to the volcanoe... Took out the food, and all but one dwarf and one dog...  and I really didn't like the location anyway (wasn't as flat as I had hoped).

I think the game was trying to force you to do a hermit challenge.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2011, 02:32:16 pm »

Spawned next to a murky pool. Sturgeon got us in 10 seconds.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Well I've gotten some spectacularly glitched maps... but other than that, my very first fort in 40d (supervised by my friends who'd already played) was a very picturesque volcano with a lip that opened on the side, and then fire imps. Put me off of volcanoes for a long, long time. Having used a very specific seed, I actually re-attemped that same spot a few times, with varying amounts of progress.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »

Back in 40d I embarked right next to a GCS, that didn't go too well.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2011, 05:13:59 pm »

Spawned next to zombie warthogs, 10 I think.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »

Beakdogs. Dear God, the beakdogs. I thought embarking on an evil swamp would be a pushover. I was wrong, soon the whole fortress was a mound of ludicrous gibs.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:05 pm »

Shortest NON-violent fort.  Embarked in a nice, flat area since I intended on making a bustling outside fort... shaped like Bowser's castle.  When I started it had NO aquifer.  Then I dug down. Water.  Dug down elsewhere, water.  Channeled elsewhere, more water.  dug one last time, hit nothing, made my stairs up.  Surrounded by damp stone.  Gave up with half the map dug and hitting an aquifer.

Shortest violent fort was in 40d.  I started in a Terrifying area and began the usual thing of getting my home dug out in the mountain.  Then checked the units menu. (Skeletal Carp) and (Zombie Carp) as far as the eye could see.  They were also heading towards me.  None were spared.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2011, 07:32:15 am »

There were Ogres... And Harpies... I don't want to talk about it, it was too horrific. Blood everywhere. The dogs, their organs were skewed across the land.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:15 am »

Alligators.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:14 am »

Well, my first cave embark was back then in 40d. I embark, and genuinely am interested in what can get out of that cave.

Turns out it was a bronze colossus. Oh crap.

While my miners were trying to dig a moat to lock him away, The first bronze colossus I have ever seen gets out of his lair, sees my dwarves, tosses itself at them.

I abandoned.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:55 am »

A week ago i embarked on a location that crawled with kobolds , i wanted to use my dwarves to kill them , they got totally pwnd.... totally...
Desu

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:29 am »

I embarked with a dragon standing next to my wagon. And, well that's that.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2011, 10:19:16 am »

Eagles. So... Many... Eagles...

I think the total life of the embark group was about 500 frames.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2011, 11:16:30 am »

Embarked on a cave entrance, because it sounded Fun.

Hydra.

Ludicrous gibs.

Lesson learned.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15