Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restricted traffic zones don't work  (Read 690 times)

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restricted traffic zones don't work
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

I set an area to "restricted" to stop masons from building walls from that side, but it didn't work.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restricted traffic zones don't work
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

Now the dwarves seem to be intentionally standing on top of the restricted area!  A mason was building a wall from the right (the restricted side) instead of the left!
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nate879:
<STRONG>I set an area to "restricted" to stop masons from building walls from that side, but it didn't work.</STRONG>

Restricted just means they would rather walk 12.5 normal tiles rather than one restricted tile.  If they have to be on the restricted tile to do their job, they will happily go there.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

I'm quite sure that isn't a bug. Traffic zones control traffic preferences and thus only affect how a dwarf makes a path to a destination. It won't change the destination. So it won't stop your dwarves from tasks that you assign them to do and it won't control how they perform the task.

The only way to control the order in which dwarves build something is to carefully set each square as it's built or, occasionally you can use a trick or two to make sure they don't build from the wrong side.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Lightman ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

If you set a restricted zone to 100%, then under no circumstance should they walk on that tile.

That would work great  :)

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>If you set a restricted zone to 100%, then under no circumstance should they walk on that tile.</STRONG>

Despite weird stuff that would cause horrendous pathing issues, yes, yes.  Work great.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

Generally speaking I've encountered problems with pathing and zones in general. For example, as has been noted in some depth, dwarves actually will prefer to drink from a river full of deadly carp, guaranteeing (literally) their immediate death when their lips hit the water then drink in a safe drinking zone with water from the same river (with no pollutants). They will also path through half a map of forbidden zone just to do it.

I definitely think that the current default setting for forbidden designation isn't strong enough and something should be done to make the functionality more in keeping with the anticipated use.

-D.B.

Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Yeah i would like to be able to set my carp infested river to a Restricted zone. Where no one is aloud to go near    :)

Toady you have taking note of this restricted zone problem correct?

I as well as others would really appreciate if you would make it so that restricted zone, means restricted zone, IE no one walks on it.

Or come up with a new option, called something like, no access zone. Where the dwarfs do not walk on those tiles, even if there being chased and attacked by something. The no access zone should block movement just like a tree would.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

Forbidden zones would indeed be nice.

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

quote:
Or come up with a new option, called something like, no access zone. Where the dwarfs do not walk on those tiles, even if there being chased and attacked by something. The no access zone should block movement just like a tree would.

2nded