Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: So much nicer here.  (Read 30421 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: So much nicer here.
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2010, 10:40:21 am »

The ability of our forum to start on any topic then randomly derail into another topic and continue randomly derailing for eternity is what makes DF immortal.

No, it's what makes the DF FORUMS immortal.   :P  DF merely provides us with endless derail possibilities.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »

I remember asking a personal question about my body a long time ago on these forums, and I was accosted with the response "pour magma on it". There are indeed trolls on these forums, but their form of trolling can best be described as...

Dwarvenly.  8)
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »

The best way to deal with Bay 12 forum trolls is to textwall them off.
Everyone knows textwalls are indestructable.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »

Check out the "What the hell, Congress!?" thread. I think its maturing into its derail phase of existence pretty soon.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

I never thought I'd ever register into a forum.

2 years later, and I always keep coming back.
Stay classy Bay12

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »

I would definitely agree with a lot of things that have been said before in this thread. A good amount of other forums I joined I barely posted, if at all due to the lack of maturity. I'm sure there are similar forums out there in quality, but I have yet to find a better forum than the bay 12 forums.

Also, on the topic of derails, they can be annoying from time to time but generally they make me laugh when the thread comes to some ridiculously unrelated topic, and then stays on that topic for a while. I think the derails are part of the charm of B12 forums, but that may just be me  :)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »

Check the quote. Someone else FuzzyDoom already sigged it.

Then again, I've gotten three people to use the same image for their avatars...
I had this avatar for a fews days before you posted that image.

If that's what you're talking about... >>;

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

Two then.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2010, 03:51:18 am »

To be entirely honest, this place couldn't be better.  The game is legendary, even in an incomplete state.  The community is great here.  (And the ability for a thread to start about X and derail to Y and then derail again to Z, then derail back to X and go to W and V and then randomly to C skipping everything in between...  well, you get the idea.)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 04:13:59 am »

To be entirely honest, this place couldn't be better.  The game is legendary, even in an incomplete state.  The community is great here.  (And the ability for a thread to start about X and derail to Y and then derail again to Z, then derail back to X and go to W and V and then randomly to C skipping everything in between...  well, you get the idea.)
the thing is, every forum does that. But the users (and mods) here take it in stride. They're less topic-differentiated threads than more natural threads of conversation that can flow.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2010, 04:15:58 am »

the thing is, every forum does that. But the users (and mods) here take it in stride. They're less topic-differentiated threads than more natural threads of conversation that can flow.

yes, exactly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:08 pm »

On the other hand, most other forums don't feature incessant back-patting about how smart and superior they are.

Masturbation is normal, doing it in groups seems like a natural progression.

I always come back to the forum before I go back to the game. I miss the laughs I get reading stuff here and THAT makes me want to play DF again.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2010, 09:34:12 pm »

On the other hand, most other forums don't feature incessant back-patting about how smart and superior they are.
Masturbation is normal, doing it in groups seems like a natural progression.

I'm wondering if I should sig this completely out of context or with the quote in there...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:46 pm »

Out of context. That's also the thread I'm putting it in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2010, 10:24:30 pm »

All the nastiness happens on the lower forums, but it's still way less than most forums, which is nice.

Ironically, everyone who frequents the lower forums are basically interwoven and there's like several massive groups of friends, who all know everyone else in the Finally section and almost never come up here. It's the amount of people up here that's doing most of the work keeping the flames down, combined with a good community and two fair and respected moderators.

Am I interwoven with you Jack.

Also what you say is very true. I used to post a ton up here like two years ago and now this is my first post in the upper world in like three months.

Edit: Sometimes the stark contrast between the lower and upper forums stagger me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:27:24 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8