Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 215378 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2385 on: February 07, 2017, 10:11:59 am »

Alright. Here you go. The multiplicative group F218 has a generator x satisfying x18 = x7+1. Using this generator, and the F2-basis {1,x,x², ..., x17} (this is always a basis when x is a generator), we get the following graph:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly the next activation state is always the current activation state multiplied by x.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:48 am »

Hey I was wondering if any of you math genius' could help me out understanding some of the terminology in this. I'm really good at coding, don't know much advanced math's speak. Trying to implement quaternion splines according to this paper:

http://qspline.sourceforge.net/qspline.pdf

There are some steps I can get, other's are completely out of my field of knowledge e.g. the line

"
Multiplying Equation (3) by q-1 we find that ... (equation 5)"

... exactly how is equation 5 derived from equation 3 by multiplying both sides by q-1? I have no reference for how this works.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:45:50 am by Reelya »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: March 13, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »

You can treat q like a variable, mostly.

They flipped it across the = sign, to get 1/2qw = qdot, then multiplied by q^-1 which is the same as dividing by q, so you get 1/2w = qdot * q^-1. Then it multiplies by 2 to get rid of the 1/2 and solve for w.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: March 13, 2017, 02:25:18 pm »

And the lambda thing comes from (1), I think.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 01, 2017, 11:29:17 pm »

So @MagmaMcFry and @Ipsil, did anything end up happening of that?  I have no idea what you're doing, but I'm intrigued.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 01, 2017, 11:32:16 pm »

Aww, darn.

Would've been cool to be watching on the sidelines when a new mathy thing happened.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 02, 2017, 06:36:54 am »

Well, I did manage to turn the Collatz conjecture into a finite-state machine operating on a string in base 3. Not sure what good that does, though, towards proving it.
Well, now you've basically reduced the Collatz conjecture to an instance of the halting problem, so all we gotta do now is solve the halting problem! :P

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 02, 2017, 11:38:51 am »

Well, I did manage to turn the Collatz conjecture into a finite-state machine operating on a string in base 3. Not sure what good that does, though, towards proving it.
Well, now you've basically reduced the Collatz conjecture to an instance of the halting problem, so all we gotta do now is solve the halting problem! :P
And since it's a finite-state machine, that problem's decidable.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 02, 2017, 12:24:11 pm »

Waaaaaaait.
What does that mean?
Sigtext

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 02, 2017, 12:34:59 pm »

A decidable problem is a problem where, using our current axioms, we can (theoretically) either prove or disprove the problem in a rigorous, consistent manner.

An undecidable problem is one where our current axioms just aren't enough. We could in theory get contradictory results and they'd both be correct!

The halting problem for the general Turing machine is one such undecidable problem.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 02, 2017, 01:11:48 pm »

Wait no, the algorithm that always halts iff the Collatz conjecture is true is not the finite-state machine itself, but the algorithm of applying that finite-state machine repeatedly to the input number until you reach 1.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 02, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

Wait no, the algorithm that always halts iff the Collatz conjecture is true is not the finite-state machine itself, but the algorithm of applying that finite-state machine repeatedly to the input number until you reach 1.
...Bother.
Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 02, 2017, 03:29:18 pm »

Well Conway proved that the Collatz problem has no non-trivial cycles < 400 in length and later Lagarias proved that there are no trivial cycles < 275000. My hunch is that this is the likeliest avenue for solving the thing. If you could construct a proof by induction that the minimum non-trivial solution was always of greater length than some value 'n' then you could effectively prove that there are no cycles of finite length. It would need to be a computer-constructed proof that could take 'n' and always construct the proof needed.

IDK whether that would rule out a cycle of infinite length however, but you might prove that as a corollary.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 02, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »

How could you possibly have a cycle of infinite length?

Doesn't that mean it comes back around?
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 02, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »

So it's not a cycle.  As in, it is not cyclical, it just keeps going.

Yes.

Yes.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 173