Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 215371 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1980 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:41 pm »

Whoops, that should be 0°C. Of all the typos...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:46 pm »

But yeah, add them up, subtract the phase change, then divide it back out.  Or something?  I don't actually know.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 14, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »

To go from mL to grams, you'll also want the density of water, but that's so trivial that it's barely worth noting.  My assumption is that they want you to go with the bog-standard 1 g/cm³ (at 4°C) rather than tracking its variability over different temperatures, which means that 150mL of water masses a convenient 150g, since it's a only a  difference of something like 1.8E-3 grams for the difference between 4°C and 20°C.  That's just me being pedantic, though, since you specifically mentioned the possibility of needing more physical constraints, and since you already corrected the error that put your poor 20°C ice cube under over a GPa of pressure. :P

Any rate, if I recall properly (and it's been even longer for me than TheBigger Fish), what you want to do is basically use conservation of energy - the energy that goes into melting and heating your ice to your equilibrium temperature T is the same as the energy that cools the rest of the system from 20°C to the same equilibrium temperature T.  Regarding the ice, the first bit requires your heat of fusion; the second bit is a more conventional temperature change using the specific heat (of water, since it's no longer solid).  Since the ice conveniently starts at its melting point of 0°C, you don't actually seem to need the specific heat of ice as far as I can tell; there is no thermal change that takes place while the ice is actually still solid, since it immediately melts.  For Q as the heat in the system and q as the specific heats...

Qmelt + Qwarming water + Qcooling water + Qcooling cup = 0
Qmelt + Qwarming water = - ( Qcooling water + Qcooling cup )
(qfusion * mice) + (qwater * mice * ΔTice) = - ( (qwater * mwater * ΔTcup and water) + (qcup * mcup * ΔTcup and water) )
        For ΔTcup and water = T - 20 and ΔTice = T - 0 = T

Shove stuff around and solve for T - that's your equilibrium temperature where everything ends up at.  At least, assuming I remember this right.  I am a bit out of practice.

((Also, can I just take this opportunity to reiterate that customary units are horrifying? I dusted off my old thermal textbook for a quick refresher and was confronted by visions of Btu/hr.))

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1983 on: December 18, 2015, 08:50:40 am »

I'm stumped by the 'Min' & '0.99,'
What do they mean?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:52:40 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:31 am »

I'm stumped by the 'Min' & '0.99,'
What do they mean?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What's the context?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 18, 2015, 09:28:26 am »

Looks like pseudo-code.  MIN(X,Y,...) denotes the lowest value in the data set X,Y,... would be returned.  So, in this case, the game calculates the formula, compares it to the number 0.99, and returns the lower of the two. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 18, 2015, 04:00:52 pm »

Looks like pseudo-code.  MIN(X,Y,...) denotes the lowest value in the data set X,Y,... would be returned.  So, in this case, the game calculates the formula, compares it to the number 0.99, and returns the lower of the two.
This right here.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:33 am »

This seems relevant to my current issues.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:49 am »

Which are?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:23 am »

Not currently anything in particular, but the term's only half done, and by prior evidence help will be needed. Most of what I have to do right now is just for practice.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:42 am »

Ah.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 29, 2016, 02:33:37 am »

Effectively PTWing, but with a thing to say.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1993 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:02 am »

I just started my Probability & Statistics class, and there is a loot of proofs going on :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 29, 2016, 03:53:37 am »

Oh jeez.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 173