Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 215425 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1905 on: October 10, 2015, 07:37:01 pm »

for f(x)=u/v
f'(x)=(vu'-uv')/(v^2)

It would be by far better to use in this case. It seems kind of weird you'd be given questions like that without being taught the quotient rule.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:41:47 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 10, 2015, 07:48:28 pm »

Meh. The point of the assigned homework is to learn the current material the class is covering. If I'm using a method to be covered in a later class to solve problems in homework in the current unit then that just seems to defeat the purpose of doing the homework in the first place.

I'm starting the whole assignment over for the third time because I'm obviously not understanding this shit, and free time is meaningless and should be spent slaving away on college work because if I don't understand this shit then I can kiss mmy grades goodbye and all my work is meaningless.

So let's say I'm to write the composite function y=cubed root(1+4x) in the form of f(g(x)) where u=g(x) and the outer function y=(f(u)).

Why couldn't I go further and say that f(u)=cubed root(u) and u(n)=1+n and n(x)=4x where y=f(u) and u=g(h) and n=h(x)? Which is right, y=f(g(x)) or y=f(g(h(x))) and how do I know which to use for the chain rule?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 10, 2015, 07:56:11 pm »

Get the derivative of y=2/(1+e^(-x))

So y=f(g(h(x)))

f(u)=2/u

g(v)=1+v

h(w)=e^(-w)

Am I doing it right so far?
Yes.

My notes for a chain rule with 2 links is y'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). Seems like 3 links would be y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(x)*h'(x). Or y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(h'(x))

...I don't know what I'm doing.
The chain rule with 3 links is actually y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(h(x))*h'(x). But you don't need that. You can just use the standard chain rule on f(g(h(x))) by defining a new function j(x) = g(h(x)), then finding the derivative of j(x) by using the chain rule on g(h(x)), then finding the derivative of f(g(h(x))) by using the chain rule on f(j(x)).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 10, 2015, 08:03:14 pm »

The point of the chain rule is to break a problem without an obvious differentiation into one that has an obvious differentiation. In your example, you can re-write the thing as (1+4x)^1/3. You want something of the form f(g(x)) because, given that, you know the derivative to be g'(x)f'(g(x)). So, you set g(x) = 1+4x, f(u) = u^(1/3). g'(x) = 4, f'(u)=u^(-2/3)/3, f'(x)=4/(3*(1+4x)^(2/3)). There's no need to break down 1+4x because you can differentiate that no problem. Sure, you could, but you would just be wasting time.
Technically, the point of the chain rule is just to break a problem down into smaller problems. The smaller problems don't have to be obvious, but you can just continue breaking them down into even smaller problems using the basic rules until they're elementary, then work your way back up from the bottom.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »

The chain rule with 3 links is actually y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(h(x))*h'(x). But you don't need that. You can just use the standard chain rule on f(g(h(x))) by defining a new function j(x) = g(h(x)), then finding the derivative of j(x) by using the chain rule on g(h(x)), then finding the derivative of f(g(h(x))) by using the chain rule on f(j(x)).

....What.

No, wait, I understand the whole thing with j(x) after rereading it a bit. That seems like unnecessary complication to me but I see why how you'd do that at least. And I guess if it works, it works.

And y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(h(x))*h'(x) is gotten from the whole (dy/dt)=(dy/dx)(dx/dt)=(dy/dx)(du/dx)(dx/dt). (dy/dx)=f'(g(h(x))), or the derivative of f using g as the variable, and g uses h(x) as the variable of g. (du/dx) is the derivative of g using h(x) as the variable, and (dx/dt) is the derivative of h using x as the variable. So the d(num) in the numerator specifies what the outer function and derivative is. And the d(num) in the denominator specifies...something.

What's dt supposed to be then? The derivative of x? Which is 1? So dx/dt means derivative of h(x) over 1?
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 11, 2015, 07:51:38 am »

AFAIK, the dx/dt (or dy/dx or any choice of variables) notation doesn't notate "real" division. Instead, it notates "derivative of the top variable/expression with respect to the change of the bottom variable". Although it looks like it's a fraction, it's more of a reminder of what a derivative and is also a reminder of what the formulas are (which often resemble algebraic formulas).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 11, 2015, 01:32:26 pm »

Unless you know what you are doing, you should indeed not treat dy/dx as if it were a normal fraction. But within the right setting it actually is a fraction; for example when using nonstandard analysis.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

Hey guys, I'm really stuck on this problem:

Consider the following two groups:
x* = 216            y* = 210
σ_x^2 = 2210     σ_^2 = 2618
n = 130             m = 119
where given µ_x, x_1,... ,x_n are independent and identically distributed normal
random variables with mean µ_x and variance σ_x^2
(which is known). Same for the y’s.

(d) Let us now assume that µ_x ∼ µ_y ∼ N(β,τ^2) as we did in class. Find the
posterior density f(µ_x −µ_y|x* − y*). Note this is not the same as f(µ_x −µ_y|x*, y*).
The advantage of this alternate conditioning is that it removes the dependence
on the parameter β (why?) and simplifies the posterior. Repeat part (b) for
two cases τ^2 = σ^2 and τ^2 = 2σ^2, where σ^2 = σ_x^2/n + σ_y^2/m. Hint on how to
approach this: let w = µ_x − µ_y and d = x* − y* and observe that given w, d is
normal with mean w.

Now I know the posterior density is proportional to f(d|w) * f(w) (by bayes rule), however when I do the math I get an enormous variance (something like 4σ^4) and a mean of 0. I think the problem is my assumption that f(µ_x −µ_y) ~ N(0, 2τ^2) (I'm basically assuming they have the same variance and mean, but I don't think I can and don't really know what else I can do.)

EDIT: Is there anyway to do latex on here (or something similar) the formatting is quite ugly.
Any help would really be appreciated; this hw is due tomorrow, but there is a test coming up this week and I really need to understand these concepts.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:50:32 pm by bahihs »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »

That makes my calc homework look completely intelligible.
To be fair, the problem I'm having is that THE BLOODY GRAPH HAS EXACTLY ZERO BLOODY POINTS ON!
But wow.
Lots of stuff I don't know in that.

Oh.
Here's one.
Given f(x){ x^2+x, x <= 1 & 3x-2, x > 1}
Show that the function doesn't have a derivative at x = 1 using 1-sided derivatives.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:02:50 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »

Oh.  One's undefined.  I had the order mixed up on which one approached from where.  Bluh.
Thanks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 12, 2015, 08:21:40 pm »

Both limits are defined.  The problem is that both limits are different. (2 and 1)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 12, 2015, 08:42:33 pm »

Wha?
No, derivatives, not limits of the functions themselves...
Although the slope at that point is infinity because of that discontinuity...

Oh.  Misunderstood the original answer.

I would go shouting Eureka but no.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:46:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »

Notes in calculus class today were about implicit differentiations. During notes I felt like I wasn't understanding jackshit so I tried using an example from the textbook to meticulously work through it.

Spoiler: work (click to show/hide)

Am I doing things right? And where did the dy/dx come from between steps 2 and 3 in part A? I don't give a shit how efficiently I could've done it or what other methods there are to solve the problem, I want to know if I'm doing the "implicit differentiations" shit right.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 13, 2015, 06:01:05 pm »

Spehss_?
Please stop scaring me.
:P

Also, the answer to my earlier question is apparently "one-sided derivatives have no bearing on the problem".  WTF, textbook writers?
Sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 13, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

You did it right.

Well that's a big relief. I feel slightly better over my chances of passing my calculus class. And working that out did help me understand the class notes better, I think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think I understand that too. That was helpful, thanks.

Spehss?
Please stop scaring me.
:P
My calculus class is scary, man. I used to think I was good at math.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 173