Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216269 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1485 on: March 31, 2014, 04:04:42 am »

When I'm dealing with m^2, that is, distances squared, when should I convert to meters if I am given the distance in centimeters? Because 0.12^2 is a lot different than 12^2, even when the resultant 144 cm is converted to 1.44 meters...

If it helps, I'm dealing with work done to compress a spring 12 centimeters, with a force-constant of 255 N/m and using the equation [work = 1/2 * (force constant) * (distance compressed)^2]

Edit: pretty sure it's converted to meters and THEN squared.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:11:16 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 31, 2014, 04:41:29 am »

Yeah, convert before squaring.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 31, 2014, 04:42:48 am »

Both options work: (12cm)² = 144cm² and (0.12m)² = 0.0144m². The results are the same, and that's because 1m² is 10000cm², not 100cm².

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 31, 2014, 04:44:53 am »

Huh, didn't realize when m^2, that means it's square-centimeters/meters, not just that you take the number there and square it and keep it one-dimensional in terms of units.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:18 am »

Yep. Square meters is an entirely different unit of measurement than meters; you can't measure area in meters and you can't measure length in square meters.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:03 am »

If you use scientific notation, you don't have to worry about converting! :D

But speaking from experience, use whatever dimensionally consistent method that makes the computations more manageable. Exception being Celsius and Fahrenheit. Never use them, for they're evil.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:01 am »

you can't measure area in meters
Well, if you put them real close together...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 07, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:28:40 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 07, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »

#11: Maxwell's first equation says that the flow of electric fields across the surface of any compact volume is determined entirely by the total charge inside that volume. This means that no matter which closed surface you put around a point charge, the resulting flow is always the same. So if it's 4πq for a small sphere, then it's also 4πq for a dodecahedron.

#15: The area conversion factor for a parametrization t : (u, v) -> (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)) is given by |tu(u, v) x tv(u,v)| (the cross product of the derivatives by u resp. v). In this case, t(u,v) = (u, v, au+bv+c), therefore tu(u, v) = (1, 0, a) and tv(u, v) = (0, 1, b), therefore tu(u, v) x tv(u, v) = (-a, -b, 1) and the area conversion factor is therefore given by sqrt(a²+b²+1²).

To create the formula, we first need to find the parameter space for that part of the plane. Let's call B the part of the plane with points (x, y, z) satisfying x²+y²<=r², and let's call A the part of the parameter space with points (u, v) satisfying x(u, v)²+y(u, v)²<=r², which by definition of x(u, v) and y(u, v) is equivalent to u²+v²<r².

Now we know that the surface area of B is given by ∫B1ds, which is defined as ∫ASAxyz[u, v]d(u, v) = ∫Asqrt(a²+b²+1²)d(u, v) = sqrt(a²+b²+1²) * ∫A1d(u, v) = sqrt(a²+b²+1²) * (the area of A). We know that A is a circle of radius r, which has the area πr², so the surface of B is exactly sqrt(a²+b²+1)*πr².

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 07, 2014, 06:46:10 pm »

For question #12 it's the same as #11 but the charge is placed outside the skin. How does that change it?

Thanks!
It's FEF, not FEOF

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 07, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »

If the charge is placed outside the surface, there is no charge inside the surface, so the total flux is 0.

As a visualization aid, imagine a lot of field lines. Then the flux over a surface is proportional to the number of field lines passing through in one direction minus the number of ones passing through in the other direction. Since the dodecahedron is a closed surface and no field lines end inside the surface (they all pass through), the total flux must necessarily cancel out to 0.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:15:33 pm by MagmaMcFry »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »

0.125 * 42x-3 = ( 21/2 / 8 ) -x

I really need help with this guys. Could you also post how you got to the answer?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 09, 2014, 02:01:09 pm »

0.125 * 42x-3 = ( 21/2 / 8 ) -x

I really need help with this guys. Could you also post how you got to the answer?

First, get terms with the same base:

4-3/2*42x-3 = (41/4 / 43/2)-x

Then, combine powers:

42x-9/2 = (4-5/4)-x

Exponent power rule:

42x-9/2 = 45x/4

Take the log4 of both sides, leaving only the exponents:

2x-9/2 = 5x/4

Get x explicit:

3x/4 = 9/2
3x = 18
x = 6

EDIT: I can do algebra all day long, but when it comes to basic division, apparently I'm a derp.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:41:49 am by Mego »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:22 pm »

I actually got it, but I got a different answer.

2-3 * 22(2x-3) = 22.5x

-3 + 4x - 6 = 2.5x

1.5x = 9

x = 9/1.5

x= 6

I also checked this answer in the original equation. It was correct. But thanks for the help.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 09, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »

Wolfram Alpha also says 6. >_>
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 173