Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216294 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1440 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:02 am »

It's always a good idea to make more variables than less. Create a variable for every value that could possibly be relevant, then write down all elementary relations and use those to solve for the variable you need to solve for.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:35 pm »

I'm not having a good time with A2 maths (C3, C4, M2) at the moment :(
Would you mind being slightly more specific? I assume you came here to get help, right?

I'm just generally stuck on understanding some of the stuff and was wondering if there was something I could do to help me understand some of the concepts, rather than just practicing stuff I don't understand then forgetting it?
There is stuff you can do to help you understand some of the concepts. Either you simply Google for those concepts, or you tell us the names of the concepts (as well as some example problems using it) and we'll try our best to help you understand it.

I've been trying to go through my textbooks/class notes and using a maths site so far but I'm still not 100% there. I'll keep going through all the content we've covered and try some more, and I'll come back and ask if there is still stuff I don't fully understand.

Cheerd
It's been a few years since I did those modules, but I can help out if needs be.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 24, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »

It's always a good idea to make more variables than less. Create a variable for every value that could possibly be relevant, then write down all elementary relations and use those to solve for the variable you need to solve for.

Yeah, this one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 02, 2014, 11:24:15 pm »

So I'm trig integration, and I've got the problem of trying to find the arc length from 0 to pi/4 of the function y = ln(cos(x)).

I turned this into the integral of (1+sec2(x))(1/2) But I'm really struggling to figure out what the heck I do with this. My book claims the answer is ln(2(1/2) + 1).

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 03, 2014, 02:09:17 am »

So I'm trig integration, and I've got the problem of trying to find the arc length from 0 to pi/4 of the function y = ln(cos(x)).

I turned this into the integral of (1+sec2(x))(1/2) But I'm really struggling to figure out what the heck I do with this. My book claims the answer is ln(2(1/2) + 1).
Check your derivative. I think it's wrong.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 03, 2014, 05:12:08 am »

I have to integrate trig soon. Not looking forward to it :L
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1446 on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:46 am »

Here's a problem that was super difficult for me D:
Please tell me if it's difficult in  in y'all's eyes!

f(x) is a differentiable function with the domain 0 <x <pi/2.
For all valid x, f'(x) = cos^2 (f (x)), and f(1)=pi/4. if g (x) is the inverse function of f (x), find g(pi/3) * g'(pi/3).

Assume f'(x) means 'the first order differential of f(x)'.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 03, 2014, 07:03:38 am »

Let h = cosē. Then f'=h°f. Now 1 = (f°g)' = f'°g*g' = h°f°g*g' = h*g', therefore g' = 1/h = 1/cosē, and g = tan+c. Since g(pi/4) = 1, g = tan. Therefore g(pi/3)*g'(pi/3) = 4*sqrt(3).

Sounds hard enough to me, at least it wouldn't be a question you'd find in an exam.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1448 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:15 am »

* Skyrunner claps

The problem, of course, lies in the fact that half of my math test problems are of comparable difficulty...  ::)

... :(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:31:19 am by Skyrunner »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:50 am »

Check your derivative. I think it's wrong.
Bleh, silly me, thanks. I'm sure I'll stop making these mistakes someday.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 05, 2014, 01:49:31 pm »

The integral of sin4(x)

It's embarrassing, I should really know how to do this one, but I'm sort of stumped. :|

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 05, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »

It helps if you write sin4(x) as ((exp(ix)-exp(-ix))/2i)^4 = (exp(4ix)-4*exp(2ix)+6-4*exp(-2ix)+exp(-4ix))/16.

Then integrating gives you (exp(4ix)/4i-4*exp(2ix)/2i+6x+4*exp(-2ix)/2i-exp(-4ix)/4i)/16 = 1/32*sin(4x)-1/4*sin(2x)+3/8x.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 05, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »

I... do not understand what you just wrote at all.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1453 on: March 05, 2014, 05:02:37 pm »

The integral of sin4(x)

It's embarrassing, I should really know how to do this one, but I'm sort of stumped. :|
sin4(x) = (1 - cos2(x))2=1-2cos 2 (x) + cos4(x)
Turn cos2(x) into ( 1 + cos (0.5x))/2, and turn cos4(x) into (1+cos2(0.5x))/2, then into  (1+( (1+cos (0.25))/2)/2. Now it's integratable!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »

sin4(x) = (1 - cos2(x))2=1-2cos 2 (x) + cos4(x)
Turn cos2(x) into ( 1 + cos (0.5x))/2, and turn cos4(x) into (1+cos2(0.5x))/2, then into  (1+( (1+cos (0.25))/2)/2. Now it's integratable!
First, cosē(x) = (1+cos(2x))/2, not (1+cos(0.5x))/2; also cos4(x) = ((1+cos(2x))/2)^2, not (1+cosē(2x))/2. But the idea still works, you eventually find out that cos4(x) = 1/8*cos(4x) - 1/2*cos(2x) + 3/8.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 173