Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216303 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1425 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48:35 am »

If I set up a birthdate survey on bay12 and have maybe 50 people reply, would I really see at least one pair of matching birthdates? O.o I want to try it out.... I suppose I could use Google Forms.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 18, 2014, 07:28:01 am »

I'm not having a good time with A2 maths (C3, C4, M2) at the moment :(
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:25 am »

Would you mind being slightly more specific? I assume you came here to get help, right?

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 18, 2014, 07:39:31 am »

Would you mind being slightly more specific? I assume you came here to get help, right?

I'm just generally stuck on understanding some of the stuff and was wondering if there was something I could do to help me understand some of the concepts, rather than just practicing stuff I don't understand then forgetting it?
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:45 am »

If I set up a birthdate survey on bay12 and have maybe 50 people reply, would I really see at least one pair of matching birthdates? O.o I want to try it out.... I suppose I could use Google Forms.
~97 % chance, yes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 18, 2014, 07:50:47 am »

I'm just generally stuck on understanding some of the stuff and was wondering if there was something I could do to help me understand some of the concepts, rather than just practicing stuff I don't understand then forgetting it?
There is stuff you can do to help you understand some of the concepts. Either you simply Google for those concepts, or you tell us the names of the concepts (as well as some example problems using it) and we'll try our best to help you understand it.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 18, 2014, 08:14:24 am »

There is stuff you can do to help you understand some of the concepts. Either you simply Google for those concepts, or you tell us the names of the concepts (as well as some example problems using it) and we'll try our best to help you understand it.

I've been trying to go through my textbooks/class notes and using a maths site so far but I'm still not 100% there. I'll keep going through all the content we've covered and try some more, and I'll come back and ask if there is still stuff I don't fully understand.

Cheerd

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 20, 2014, 11:57:40 pm »

Ok, so I'm really exhausted right now and about to pass out, but if someone could help me find a solution to this problem while I'm snoozing it would really help me.

I have to find the arc length of x=(3/5)y5/3-(3/4)y1/3 from y=1 to y=8. I know about using the sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2) formula, but I'm having trouble integrating what I get from that. Does anyone think they can help?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:59 am »

Well, the first thing to recognize is that x=f(y), rather than the other way around like it usually is. We'll integrate sqrt(1+(dx/dy)2) with respect to y to find the answer.

dx/dy = y2/3 - (1/4)y-2/3 is pretty easy to calculate

The next thing is just simplifying the integral. We'll start with the bit inside the radical.
1 + (dx/dy)2
1 + (y2/3 - (1/4)y-2/3)2
1 + y4/3 - 1/2 + y-4/3
y4/3 + 1/2 + y-4/3          This looks almost exactly like (dx/dy)2, and in fact, it's also a perfect square
 (y2/3 + (1/4)y-2/3)2

Remember this whole thing is under a square root sign, which cancels out with the square, leaving you with a fairly simple polynomial to integrate (I'll leave the actual legwork to you). It's positive over the relevant range too, so you don't even have to worry about complications from the absolute value you'd usually get with such an operation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:57:12 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 21, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

Thanks a bunch for that.

I really should have seen the perfect square going on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 23, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »

Hey, I'm trying to help my brother with his math homework. What's the best way to solve something like x3=8 for all complex roots without using de Moivre's theorem? He hasn't even learned the unit circle yet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2014, 09:59:11 pm »

x3-8 = 0
(x-2)(x2+2x+4) = 0

It's a formula:

(a-b)(a2+ab+b2) = a3-b3

de Moivre's theorem is a tad overkill, you know :P Heck, -I- don't know what that is either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:02:00 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 23, 2014, 10:21:27 pm »

Oooh right, I remember that thing.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:54 am »

So guys. Do you have any tips or so on how to learn to solve word problems? I have checked the internet for tips and so, but everything is like pre-school level and really doesn't help me. I can understand the texts fine but I have a problem modelling the right equation.

This is like the only thing that I have a problem with in maths, everything is comes easily and mechanically.

(I think the problems that I have to do are possibly equal to A levels or so)
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 24, 2014, 09:36:14 am »

Depending on how severe your troubles with word problems are, you may want to try just mapping out the whole thing - all the variables, how they are connected, what you know, what you want to calculate. Mind-map style. With colors, possibly.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 173