Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216453 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:32 am »

In a strictly mathematical sense, your assignments are totally valid, yet your teachers are stupid. You could check if they would allow you to use s(x), c(x), t(x) instead.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 14, 2013, 07:55:15 am »

The potential for a problem is when you have sin(x), sin(y), sin(2*x), sin(x2) sin(x2) [ok, last one is extremely unlikely to arise in any practical case] in the same problem.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 14, 2013, 08:46:55 am »

sin(x2) [ok, last one is extremely unlikely to arise in any practical case]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral
._.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1203 on: September 14, 2013, 09:03:32 am »

The potential for a problem is when you have sin(x), sin(y), sin(2*x), sin(x2) sin(x2) [ok, last one is extremely unlikely to arise in any practical case] in the same problem.

I said that I assigned only and only "sin x" to "s", "cos x" to "c", and so on. So that's a non-problem.

Also, if I use s(x), c(x), t(x), that's even less of a problem.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 14, 2013, 09:22:46 am »

Enjoy your later courses on metric differential geometry, because you will be using r, s, and t as function names and c as a constant.  And you'll also be using sin, tan, and cos, etc.

The way it works is that letters are taken for different things.  So we like f, g, h as functions until we get more than 3, and then we do f1, f2, f3, etc.  x, y, z are usually unknowns.  And s, r, t, are things you call functions in domains that are more commonly physics based (I think.  Someone should correct me if I'm wrong--but I know that they're taken).  Training to communicate in this way is part of mathematical culture and makes it easy for mathematicians to interpret work at a glance.  You can figure out much faster which kind of math you're reading, and which sorts of tools the author is more or less likely to use.

Similarly, we don't name the variables for our equations words, we name them letters; we've got a convention that a string like "egg" means "e * g * g," even if it would be cuter to solve for "egg" than "x."

So no, it is not incorrect to name your variables whatever you want from a technical perspective.  From the perspective that math is a thing that humans read, however, it is best to listen to your teacher.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1205 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:05 am »

But my course isn't metric differential geometry :c

Also I'm not entirely sure  Geometry and Vectors and Math II tests are what you'd call math >___> but then again I'm very biased against them

anyhow: any links to r/s/t as functions? Simply searching for "function t" shows up model rc helicopters, and filtering out repeatedly leaves me with Owen's T-function, a cryptography function that does something.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 14, 2013, 10:32:19 am »

You're learning Mathematics.  Mathematics is all one piece, a prism learned from different perspectives.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1207 on: September 14, 2013, 10:35:49 am »

I'd like those two subjects, along with Integration and Statistics a lot more if it wasn't about pulling off brutally freakish feats like solving twenty-five difficult(harder than IB, harder than AP Calc, at least) problems in 50 minutes. :x

I mean, limits and differentiation were the most awesome and intriguing things I've learned of for a while. Soon I'll be able to actually calculate the length of a curve o_O

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 14, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »

A short question/is-this-proof-okay, since apparently over uni break I lost what little mathematical skill I had left. Apologies if some terms sound weird, I probably translated them literally from German.

The assignment was to prove that the space X of bounded functions f : [a,b] -> |R with the supremum norm is a Banach space. This means I have to prove that X is complete and normed. The latter property is per definitionem, as the supremum norm is a norm. As for the former property, since all f € X are bounded, any Cauchy sequence formed by their (finite) norms will not 'converge' towards infinity. Also, since |R is a complete space, any Cauchy sequence in |R converges, so any Cauchy sequence of the supremum norms will converge towards one specific limit, y. It is easy to construct a bounded function fy = y whose supremum norm is y. Thus, every Cauchy sequence on X under the supremum norm converges, Q.E.D.

Where's the holes? This feels too simple to be true.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

Because there's so many common functions named s, t, r, and c that it's extremely bad practice.
We used S T and R as slack variables when doing the simplex algorithm at school. Never seen it used otherwise, except in bog standard algebra questions instead of any other letter.

It's quite common to have t stand for time and s and r refer to position in terms of time, when one is working with physics and anything that came from it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

A short question/is-this-proof-okay, since apparently over uni break I lost what little mathematical skill I had left. Apologies if some terms sound weird, I probably translated them literally from German.

The assignment was to prove that the space X of bounded functions f : [a,b] -> |R with the supremum norm is a Banach space. This means I have to prove that X is complete and normed. The latter property is per definitionem, as the supremum norm is a norm. As for the former property, since all f € X are bounded, any Cauchy sequence formed by their (finite) norms will not 'converge' towards infinity. Also, since |R is a complete space, any Cauchy sequence in |R converges, so any Cauchy sequence of the supremum norms will converge towards one specific limit, y. It is easy to construct a bounded function fy = y whose supremum norm is y. Thus, every Cauchy sequence on X under the supremum norm converges, Q.E.D.

Where's the holes? This feels too simple to be true.
The proof is actually as simple as that, yet you may want to order your thoughts a bit. The only thing you really need to show is that any function sequence (that is a Cauchy sequence under supremum norm) converges pointwise to a bounded function, which is easy to show since |fm(x)-fn(x)| is bounded by ||fm - fn|| and is therefore uniform.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 15, 2013, 05:56:35 pm »

Here's one I could us help with.
limit as x approaches + infinity of:
sqrt ( 4x2 + 5x ) - 2x

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 15, 2013, 06:09:44 pm »

Here's one I could us help with.
limit as x approaches + infinity of:
sqrt ( 4x2 + 5x ) - 2x
Try multiplying with its conjugate (divided by its conjugate so it's equal to one. Name of this operation slips my mind... Extend?).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »

The difference of squares part I get, the second step where you figure out that 5x/(sqrt(4x2+5x)+2) = 5/4 puzzles me though.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1214 on: September 15, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »

Divide both top and bottom by x.
5x becomes 5.
sqrt(4x^2+5x)+2x becomes sqrt(4+5/x)+2.
Since 1/x converges on 0 when x->infinity, the equation equals 5/(sqrt(4)+2)=5/4

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 173