Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216459 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1185 on: September 13, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »

When you rotate a curve around an axis, you get a surface, therefore your parametric function needs two parameters.
If y = f(x) is your old graph, your function (x, y, z) = Rf(u, v) is defined as Rf(u, v) = (u, cos(v)f(u), sin(v)f(u)).

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:19 pm »

When you rotate a curve around an axis, you get a surface, therefore your parametric function needs two parameters.
If y = f(x) is your old graph, your function (x, y, z) = Rf(u, v) is defined as Rf(u, v) = (u, cos(v)f(u), sin(v)f(u)).

Err, yeah, surface. My brain isn't fully functioning today. Thanks!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »

Ok, so I'm seriously struggling with getting a working comprehension of this stuff here.

Right now this book is asking me to prove a certain limit is true using the epsilon-delta definition of limits. I think I understand how to do this algebraically, but I really don't understand how this actually proves the limit to be true.

I feel like a moron...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 13, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »

Okay, here's the basics: If a number y is the limit value of a function f at point x, then the function must converge to y as the point approaches x, right? This means that f([x-d, x+d]) must converge against {y} as d approaches zero. The epsilon-delta method shows that this is in fact true, by showing that the range of f([x-d, x+d]) becomes arbitrarily small (smaller than every positive 2e) around y as d approaches zero.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »

Yes, but how exactly does it prove that the range around y becomes arbitrarily small? I understand what it's supposed to do, but I'm not really understanding how it does it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 13, 2013, 08:25:23 pm »

Yes, but how exactly does it prove that the range around y becomes arbitrarily small? I understand what it's supposed to do, but I'm not really understanding how it does it.

It shows that the range around y becomes arbitrarily small by, for every arbitrary epsilon interval around y, finds a delta interval around x whose image fits inside there.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 13, 2013, 08:28:18 pm »

I don't know... this is still not making sense to me.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:29 pm »

Imagine drawing a horizontal bar on the graph of f that includes (x, y). If f converges, any such horizontal bar must contain all the graph points (except maybe (x, f(x))) in a certain horizontal distance from x, right? That's exactly what you need to show. For every horizontal bar [y-e, y+e], there must exist a range [x-d, x+d] in which the bar contains all graph points.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:58 pm »

I think I might be getting it now.

So basically we say that the limit of X as it approaches A, is L. However it's not enough to just say this, we also need to be able to prove it to the gods of mathematics. To do this we make our case by creating two variables, Epsilon and Delta, which are defined by their distance from L and A respectively. Since L acts as a reference point in terms of A, we can use it to set Epsilon and Delta in the same... err, (my command of standard mathematical language is failing me here) logic space? Which allows us to equate the two together, and form a function of Delta which should hold true for any distance from A, within certain possible limitations of distance.

And I guess if it's not a true limit, it wouldn't work out then?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1194 on: September 14, 2013, 01:24:54 am »

Is there any good reason I shouldn't write cos x as 'c' and sin x as 's', tan x as 't'? O_o My teachers tell me that even if I say sin x := s etc etc at the beginning of a solution they'll mark the whole thing as wrong. Just curious.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 14, 2013, 01:29:29 am »

Because there's so many common functions named s, t, r, and c that it's extremely bad practice.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 14, 2013, 02:10:03 am »

Because there's so many common functions named s, t, r, and c that it's extremely bad practice.

Lol, I am so sick and tired of arguing with students who demand that current should be a "c" in thier work, not an "I", or that wavelength should be "w" not "λ"... and so on.
This is a blank sig.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1197 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:49 am »

There are common one-letter functions named s, t, c? O_o

Also, I'm asking this because time is at a premium on math tests and writing cos cos cos sin sin sin over and over feels like a huge time-waster.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:32 am »

But cos, sin, tan are already abbreviations.

Moreover, they're completely unambiguous.

s, c, and t are not. E.G., c is frequently used as a constant, t is frequently a variable for time, s is fairly frequently a variable for position. You're liable to confuse people who are expecting the usual notations, which is pretty much everybody.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1199 on: September 14, 2013, 03:52:20 am »

That sounds weird.

So I'm not allowed to assign "cos x" to c, "sin x" to s, and "tan x" to t, but I can assign any arbitrary algebraic function to t (eg, t = sqrt ( x^2 + 2 x - 7) ). Isn't this a double standard in a way?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 173