Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216965 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:16 pm »

So when one non-constant width figure in another non-constant width figure is maximal but can rotate.

Anyways, I have an exam tomorrow and am having trouble with Stokes' theorem (Specifically in 3 dimensional space). Anyone who can help?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »

What kind of help do you need?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 27, 2013, 11:44:09 pm »

Never mind, I think I've got it now, and I should probably be going to bed now anyways.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »

So when one non-constant width figure in another non-constant width figure is maximal but can rotate.

It isn't necessary for a figure to be fully constant-width for it to be able to rotate when maximal.  It's sufficient for it to be constant-width over that small portion of its rotation that happens to be maximal.

Also, for any shape, it's possible to construct a container shape that will allow it to rotate when maximal.  A donut does this for every shape.  Your rule is probably true when all of the figures involved are composed solely of straight lines, though.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1054 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:00 am »

lim[n->0, (1+1/n)^n]=1
Why? O_o Is the way to show that the above equation is true too complex for someone who's only done half of calculus introduction(the part with differentiation)?
I asked my math teacher and he thought about it for a while then gave up after a few false starts. Just curious.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:12 am »

(1+1/n) converges against 1, and f(n)^n converges against 1 for positively convergent f(n), so (1+1/n)^n converges against 1.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1056 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:53 am »

Doesn't (1+1/n) diverge in this case?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 14, 2013, 07:18:21 am »

Nope. a/infinity (for any a) is 0. 1 + 1/n [n -> infinity] = 1 + 0 = 1.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1058 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:34 am »

I sent n to 0 though. Look again, it's n->0 and 1/0 goes to infinity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 14, 2013, 07:49:15 am »

Er, yeah. Hm.

EDIT: I got it. If you replace n by 1/x, you get lim[x->infinity, (x+1)^(1/x)], which obviously converges against 1, since x+1 grows smaller than a^x for all a > 1.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:53:07 am by MagmaMcFry »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 14, 2013, 07:59:15 am »

I think you can see it if you do lim[n->0, (1+1/n)^n]=lim[n->0, e^ln((1+1/n)^n)]=lim[n->0, e^(ln(1+1/n)*n)] and notice, that ln(1+x)/x goes to zero as x goes to +inf.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 14, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »

lim[n->0, (1+1/n)^n]=1
Why? O_o Is the way to show that the above equation is true too complex for someone who's only done half of calculus introduction(the part with differentiation)?
I asked my math teacher and he thought about it for a while then gave up after a few false starts. Just curious.

If it exists, lim[n->0, (1+1/n)^n]=lim[n->infinity, (1+n)^(1/n)].
You can show that this is strictly decreasing for n>0 (take the derivative if needs be), and that it is bounded below by 0 for n>0 (as 1+n is positive). Therefore, it converges to a limit.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 14, 2013, 04:06:41 pm »

X^0 = 1 for all X. Therefore lim[n->0 f(n)^n]=1 for all f(n). The nature of the convergence depends on f(n), but the limit itself doesn't.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 14, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

X^0 = 1 for all X. Therefore lim[n->0 f(n)^n]=1 for all f(n). The nature of the convergence depends on f(n), but the limit itself doesn't.
That's exactly what a limit value is not. The limit value of a function at a point does not at all depend on the value of the function at that point. For example, take the function z(x), which is 1 when x is 0, but 0 otherwise. Then lim[x->0, z(x)] is 0, not 1.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:04 pm »

Disregard, half asleep. Will try to decode what I meant when I have time.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 173