Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217068 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #930 on: February 09, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »

Electric field is a vector field. It's components are projections to some directions and can be negative without problems.

The way you arrived to 280x-560y it seems that you treat S as X+Y. That is likely wrong. Electric field as vector is E=(280x, -560y) and you should take the length of the vector (280*3, -560*2) to get the answer you are probably looking for.

That's right, thanks. What I had to do was calculate the x and y components and hten use Pythagorean theorem to put them back together. That makes the next part of the question much easier too.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #931 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:42 am »

" The function f(x) is defined as f(x) = (sqrt(x2 + 9) - 3)/x2, where x ≠ 0. 
If f(x)  is continuous in the interval (–∞, ∞), what is the value of f(0)?"

The answer is 1/6, but how can f(0) exist when x ≠ 0? :<
The answer of 1/6 was obtained by using limits...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 12, 2013, 03:14:56 am »

If that is a direct quotation of the problem then the problem is extremely poorly posed. Is the quote accurate?

f(x) is indeed undefined at x = 0, and f(x) is not continuous on the interval (–∞, ∞), but regardless of the mathematical inaccuracy of the problem, what they want you to do is to use L'Hopital's rule to find the value of the limit of f(x) as x -> 0.

Really, though, you should protest such a poorly posed problem by boldly declaring on your paper that f(x) is undefined at x = 0 and stick to your guns.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #933 on: February 12, 2013, 03:29:09 am »

As I thought. O_o
It's in Korean, but it should be accurate.
I forgot to mention that x ∈ R, excluding 0.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 12, 2013, 04:24:42 am »

So, the problem deliberately goes out of its way to point out that x=0 isn't in the domain right before asking you to evaluate x=0? Sheesh.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »

"The function f(x) is defined as f(x) = (sqrt(x2 + 9) - 3)/x2, where x ≠ 0. If f(x)  is continuous in the interval (–∞, ∞), what is the value of f(0)?"
Terminology mixup? Here's the same question with proper words:
"A real function f satisfies f(x) = (sqrt(x2 + 9) - 3)/x2 for all real x ≠ 0. If f is continuous, what is the value of f(0)?"

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:17:09 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 15, 2013, 06:30:11 pm »

Relatively simple math question for precalc.

I've got 10x3-4x2+15x-6=0

It says the answer is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But I seem to be having trouble getting to that answer.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 15, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »

Well, it's pretty easy (at least for me) to see that 10x³-4x²+15x-6 = (2x²+3)(5x-2), and since the left factor has no real zeroes and the right factor has the zero 2/5 the answer must be 2/5.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 15, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »

I knew it was going to be something that would leave me kicking myself, all this time I'd been trying to get it into a quadratic form... Thanks.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #939 on: February 25, 2013, 07:24:40 am »

I have figured out a rough estimate of God's minimum power in watts, based on the size of the Revelation city and the mention that God has enough glory to brighten the city up like day, and a few simplifications (mainly that the city just happens to be a perfectly flat plane :P).

Problem is, I don't know how to find the volume of a f(x,y) formula >_> Neither does Wolfram Alpha, apparently.

Code: [Select]
4767400000000000*e^(-0.01 * sqrt(x^2 +y ^2 + 1))or

So... any guides to how to find the volume? xD The equation approaches 0 in all directions.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:19 am »

Problem is, I don't know how to find the volume of a f(x,y) formula >_> Neither does Wolfram Alpha, apparently.

Code: [Select]
4767400000000000*e^(-0.01 * sqrt(x^2 +y ^2 + 1))or

So... any guides to how to find the volume? xD The equation approaches 0 in all directions.
Are you integrating from -infinity to +infinity in both the x and y directions?

Although the function does tend to 0 in all directions, that isn't always enough by itself, though in this case, it tends to zero in a way that does make it integrable.

A handy shortcut in maths is that pretty much whenever you see x^2 + y^2, you can change into polar co-ordinates. This means that, with the change of variable, we want to solve:

which can be integrated, and equates to 19999Kπ

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #941 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:59 am »

May I ask what K is? Is it the big number I had in front of Euler's number?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 25, 2013, 11:04:49 am »

May I ask what K is? Is it the big number I had in front of Euler's number?
Yep.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #943 on: February 25, 2013, 11:07:40 am »

Interesting. So God emits at least 299 exawatts of power. :D

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »

Well, now I know that I have to hit 300. Thanks.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 173